Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I am rather shocked and dismayed at the response of some of the posters. I am an old Marine Gunnery Sergeant, and I like firearms. However, I know the rules in Canada, and I abide by them.

In my opinion, it's just plain silly to miss out on such a wonderful place as Canada, just because you disagree with their laws about guns. Oh well, it just more room for me.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Not much point in trying to "set the other side straight" since no one seems to listen to the other.

Note that the Canadian middle class is now more wealthy than the American middle class and maybe emigrating is a good, even great, idea.

Gene
It does not sound good to me. If you take your upper American middle class wealth to Canada, you will likely have demoted yourself to lower middle class*. At my age, I would have a hard time learning to say "Eh?" all the time and calling a faucet a spigot.

"just sayin' " (this is in quotes, because I am currently experimenting with its use)

Ken

* in political speak, this is "self deporting and self demoting"

Old 07-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Failing to Declare Firearms at a Canadian Border Crossing

Oops, brain f**t. My mistake
Old 07-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
For those who think Customs Officials ask "silly questions" that dishonest people wouldn't answer anyway.... They are not "silly questions".
If you don't lock the doors to your gun safe...then you are guilty of endangering children and are practicing criminal behavior and can be prosecuted for it.

If you are not required to answer a "silly question" because it was never asked .... then you cannot be held liable for willfully lying to a peach officer and willfully violating the law.

In other words, if the Officer failed to ask the question...then you cannot be held criminally responsible for lying to the question. DOH!

Don't be so quick to ridicule. It can make you appear ridiculous.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

...... At my age, I would have a hard time learning to say "Eh?" all the time and calling a faucet a spigot.

I can promise you - "Eh?" is not learned - it just happens - no one knows where or how they started using it - and no one ever notices anyone else using it ..... that is until we go on vacation to the U.S. - then someone - usually a campground attendant when registering - they will inevitably say ..... "Where in Canada y'all from???"

"Spigot"?? - we call them "taps"

Now - if Americans would only learn what the heck a "Hydro Pedestal" is ......

And when I order a "Rye and Coke" - it could never in any Canadians wildest nightmare possibly mean "Scotch and Coke" ..... anyone know how bad that tastes????

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 07-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I can promise you - "Eh?" is not learned - it just happens - no one knows where or how they started using it - and no one ever notices anyone else using it ..... that is until we go on vacation to the U.S. - then someone - usually a campground attendant when registering - they will inevitably say ..... "Where in Canada y'all from???"

"Spigot"?? - we call them "taps"

Now - if Americans would only learn what the heck a "Hydro Pedestal" is ......

And when I order a "Rye and Coke" - it could never in any Canadians wildest nightmare possibly mean "Scotch and Coke" ..... anyone know how bad that tastes????

Thanks,

Jay
Don't count on this changing soon. I just did a Google search and came up with very many options. (A couple of which I even have).

Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not all Canadians say "eh". It seems to be regional, just like "y'all". It is like Spanish speakers who end a sentence with "no?". It seems to ask for a response or mean "did you hear me".

I thought a spigot was the thing that water comes out of and a faucet is the whole assembly including the spigot and the valve that opens and closes it. To me a "tap" is something you buy from someone or a water company to get water. A hydro pedestal? Maybe that is the faucet valve you use your foot on as on many trailer toilets, but you can get them for a residential kitchen faucet too. How about "sanidump"? A more elegant word than "dump station".

I think either rye or scotch would not benefit from a Coke, nor does rum. Well, I don't think anything can make rye drinkable. I'll stick with ale, no fruit or wheat.

Gene
Old 07-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
As Americans it is our responsibility to ensure that we abide by other countries laws, even if they don't abide by ours. This is what makes us American to always do the right thing.

On the other hand, I travel in the USA fully arm and am going to Canada as my family is from Canada. It's is very beautiful place.

Happy 4th of July from Vietnam Veteran.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
This is taken from today's Thunder Bay Chronicle Journal:

Border officials deal with rash of guns at port of entry
Saturday, July 4, 2015
Thunder Bay Chronicle-Journal

A Missouri man has a court date in Fort Frances later this month to deal with charges following yet another seizure of a handgun at the town’s border crossing by Canadian inspectors. It’s the eighth time a gun has been seized at the Fort Frances border so far this year, compared to three seizures for all of 2014.

Border investigators said they found a loaded .22 calibre revolver in the glove compartment of the man’s truck during a search on June 24 during an attempt to enter Ontario.

He was later charged under the federal Customs Act with non-report of goods, wilful evasion, possession of illegally imported goods and smuggling, a Canada Border Services Agency said in a news release on Friday.

CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said the number of handgun seizures at the Fort Frances border varies from year to year. “Keeping firearms out of our community is our highest priority, so it’s something we’re focused on all the time,” Kealey said.

The accused was released on a US$300 recognizance. He is to appear in court on July 27.

The lesson here is that failing to declare a firearm at a Canadian Border Crossing is a big deal.

Jay
One may legally take a long gun, e.g., rifle or shotgun, into Canada by declaring the firearm, filing the appropriate declaration form and pay the $25.00 fee. One may NOT take a handgun into Canada! Don't even try. While there may be exceptions I do not know what they are and generally do not even include sworn law enforcement officers. Do not tempt fate and do not think you can sneak it in.

David Parker
1969 Sovereign (31!)
1989 Dodge D-350
Old 07-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
When the wife and I drove up through Canada to Alaska and back two summers ago , we obeyed the Canadian firearms laws by traveling with a 12 gauge pump shotgun with buckshot and slugs for ammo . We contacted the RCMP ahead of time and they mailed us permit form to fill out ahead of time and payed the 25 dollar permit fee when first entering British Columbia from Montana. They never wanted to see the shotgun at all . I would hand the border guard the Canadian firearms permit every time we would reenter Canada and they were never concerned about it .
Old 07-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Keep in mind many states in the US have even stricter gun laws with respect to carry concealed and or in a vehicle. To name just a few, NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, IL. Each state has it's own laws and my only suggestion is if you carry a weapon across state lines it would benefit you to know the laws of each state you are passing thru. ALSO, even if you have a permit which is legal in the state you are traveling in and you get out of your vehicle, leaving the firearm in the vehicle the passenger in the vehicle now has possession of the weapon and without a permit they can be charged.

Used to teach firearms and firearms safety and the law and we covered each state in our classes. Penalties in certain states can be very severe, up to and including jail, confiscation of vehicle etc. If you travel cross country with weapon(s) you should look into multiple permits.

Here is a link on the Canadian laws for entering Canada with a firearm. Pretty simple and it's their country.

Bringing Weapons Into Canada | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada
Old 07-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Interesting discussion. Instead of bashing and trashing Canada why not focus closer to home. Read the news about people stopped in NJ and NY. Legally had a carry license. Gun in car. Go to jail. Take the kids away. Seriously it's worse here in the those two states. Massive costs.
ProPride
NŘVPN
Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's hard to resist these threads without an opinion, so . . . my cousins in northern Minnesota use "eh" as fluently as our very good friends in B.C., Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and even Kebec. Canada is a beautiful place with wonderful people, sometimes more civil than us.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I like the Canadians. Good trading partners, a nation that we trust, and our nearest neighbor who is not a threat to us.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Closed Thread