Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Failing to Declare Firearms at a Canadian Border Crossing

This is taken from today's Thunder Bay Chronicle Journal:

Border officials deal with rash of guns at port of entry
Saturday, July 4, 2015
Thunder Bay Chronicle-Journal

A Missouri man has a court date in Fort Frances later this month to deal with charges following yet another seizure of a handgun at the town’s border crossing by Canadian inspectors. It’s the eighth time a gun has been seized at the Fort Frances border so far this year, compared to three seizures for all of 2014.

Border investigators said they found a loaded .22 calibre revolver in the glove compartment of the man’s truck during a search on June 24 during an attempt to enter Ontario.

He was later charged under the federal Customs Act with non-report of goods, wilful evasion, possession of illegally imported goods and smuggling, a Canada Border Services Agency said in a news release on Friday.

CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said the number of handgun seizures at the Fort Frances border varies from year to year. “Keeping firearms out of our community is our highest priority, so it’s something we’re focused on all the time,” Kealey said.

The accused was released on a US$300 recognizance. He is to appear in court on July 27.

The lesson here is that failing to declare a firearm at a Canadian Border Crossing is a big deal.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like something Mexico would pull. Of course in Mexico the individual would still be in jail undergoing torture, beating and rape.
Canada is more civilized than most countries and would frown on such treatment. It is their country and their laws. Break them and pay the price. Visitors have an obligation to obey the laws of the country they are visiting. Plus it is just plain stupid to have a loaded handgun in the glove box crossing a border.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Just one more reason I will never go back to Canada. My choice. His own fault, go by the rules and laws even if you disagree with them.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
A good reason to not visit Canada, if you ask me. Plenty of places to visit in the good ol' USA.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
In 2010on our trip to Alaska they question us more on cash and ammo than they did drugs or firearms.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I travel armed, but am still looking forward to a trip to Alaska and Canada one of these days. When the time comes I will have to deal with it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It is my observation that, as a whole, Canada is more civilized than the US and you should be less apt to feel the need for a hand gun.

It was also my impression that this particular general subject is one we are not supposed to broach here, no matter how obtuse the angle of approach may be. So why don't we just drop it befoe a donnybrook arises?

to use a phrase I oft see here:

Just sayin'

Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If our gun laws keep the wing-nuts out. I'm all for it.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have never had a problem entering Canada. Maybe we don't look like people who have guns with us, and we don't. The border people are always friendly and ask few questions—usually whether we have guns and sometimes whether we have bear spray and maybe enough money to leave Canada. When you are towing an Airstream they seem to assume you have enough cash. Credit cards pretty much eliminate the need for much cash. Once we entered at a small border station where a newbie tried to go through the list of possible questions and she got so confused by all the questions she could possibly ask, she started repeating herself. I pointed out that she had already asked us the same questions and she stopped and let us go on.

This was very different from the US immigration and customs guards who rarely are friendly and never seemed to have learned how to say "hello" or "how are you?" They wanted to search the trailer looking for fruit and didn't care whether we were importing too many items bought in Canada. They almost always ask whether we had $10,000 in cash even though that is a silly question—few people carry that much cash or if they did, they probably wouldn't answer honestly. There are so many newbie US border guards now they have little to do but ask silly questions and search trailers. The older guards are more experienced and can size up people quickly and they ask few questions and leave people coming home alone.

Before you cross borders, you can check online what's ok and what's not. There is too much information available and you have to sort through it. But one thing is very clear—don't try to bring a hand gun into Canada and rifles (what they call long guns) are ok for hunting, but there are rules for that and you have to follow them. Canada is a country much like ours, but they have far fewer shootings and restrictions on handguns are effective and work there. Last time I checked in 2010, bear spray was ok, but other sprays, such as wasp spray and mace are probably not ok. It seems to acknowledge that bears are a real problem, but other sprays can be used against people are aren't.

US fruit rules change from time to time. Leave the fruit labels on fruit and it will show whether the fruit comes from a place the US deems safe. Our experience is that Canadian supermarkets have better fruit than we find in the US and I haven't seen Canadians dying in the streets after eating fruit. Once you are in the computer having had naughty fruit they are more likely to search your trailer every time you cross the border. US border guards can do pretty much anything they want and tear apart your vehicles apart if they want to, leaving you to put it all back together.

We never worry about hassles going to Canada, but coming back to the US can be a bad experience, delaying you for unknown amounts of time.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
There's another thread somewhere about what you can and can't take into Canada. Some people are traveling to Alaska to hunt or fish. I believe you can take long guns/rifles into Canada but you have to declare them beforehand. There's a form, I don't know the particulars. Hand guns are never allowed into Canada as far as I know.

Again, if you're interested, there is a thread in the forum, provided by our Canadian friends, about the laws.

Anytime you go into a different country you are held to their laws and you'd better respect them. Whether that's Canada or Mexico makes no difference, you can have a vacation ruined very easily. You're also held to the laws of each state you are in, even though we don't have border crossings. You must still comply and you can be held accountable, particularly with firearms.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
It is my observation that, as a whole, Canada is more civilized than the US and you should be less apt to feel the need for a hand gun.

It was also my impression that this particular subject is one we are not supposed to broach here, not matter how obtuse the angle of approach may be. So why don't we just drop it befoe a donnybrook arises.

to use a phrase I oft see here:

Just sayin'

Ken
My purpose in starting this thread had absolutely no intent to stir any pot - directly or indirectly - just pure and timely information - quoted directly from a city newspaper - not an opinion in sight .....

Our countries are at opposite ends of the spectrum on this subject - which makes clear information really important.

Those who may wish to bring a firearm into or through Canada may find this factsheet helpful from the Border Services Agency website:

Planning to Bring Firearms to Canada?

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 07-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
My purpose in starting this thread had absolutely no intent to stir any pot - directly or indirectly - just pure and timely information - quoted directly from a city newspaper - not an opinion in sight .....

Our countries are at opposite ends of the spectrum on this subject - which makes clear information really important.

Those who may wish to bring a firearm into or through Canada may find this factsheet helpful from the Border Services Agency website:

Planning to Bring Firearms to Canada?

Thanks,

Jay
Although it sounded like my post was directed at you, it was actually directed to all those here on either side of the "Great American Gun Debate" who can not resist the temptation to set the other side straight. I naively thought, "Perhaps I can conduct a preemptive strike."

Ken
Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
I've never crossed the Canadian border by vehicle without being questioned about carrying a gun, sometimes at length. "Are you SURE you don't have a gun?"

But as mentioned, Mexico is even stricter on guns. I know people in Belize -- where a license for gun ownership is required and somewhat difficult to get, and an unlicensed weapon or even a single bullet can put you in jail for a long time, but many Belizean business people do have licensed guns -- who have crossed into Mexico totally forgetting they still had a gun in the glove box.

Invariably, even for responsible, well-known business owners who have done business in Mexico for years, they end up in jail. Usually they have to stay in jail for many months before the diplomatic process, and probably some money exchanging hands, gets the businessperson released.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not much point in trying to "set the other side straight" since no one seems to listen to the other.

But Canada's laws are their laws and you have to know and observe them unless you feel like setting a rather costly example and never being able to enter Canada again. Yes, Canada has forms for long guns and there may be a fee. I think you may have to show you are really going hunting and not bringing a long gun for other uses. Not being hunters and having no rifles, we have never seen the forms, but I have read about them on the Forum. If you want to change Canadian law, you will have to emigrate, become a Canadian and then vote for people who want to change the law. Not a very practical approach if all you want to do is have a handgun in Canada. If you think Canada is a great country, then emigrating is a great idea.

My only problem with Canada is multiplying kilometers by .6 so I know how many miles away some place is or listening to a weather report and trying to figure out how many inches some centimeters are when hearing about rain or snow. I'll never get those pesky centimeters right. Note that the Canadian middle class is now more wealthy than the American middle class and maybe emigrating is a good, even great, idea.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I am rather shocked and dismayed at the response of some of the posters. I am an old Marine Gunnery Sergeant, and I like firearms. However, I know the rules in Canada, and I abide by them.

In my opinion, it's just plain silly to miss out on such a wonderful place as Canada, just because you disagree with their laws about guns. Oh well, it just more room for me.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Not much point in trying to "set the other side straight" since no one seems to listen to the other.

Note that the Canadian middle class is now more wealthy than the American middle class and maybe emigrating is a good, even great, idea.

Gene
It does not sound good to me. If you take your upper American middle class wealth to Canada, you will likely have demoted yourself to lower middle class*. At my age, I would have a hard time learning to say "Eh?" all the time and calling a faucet a spigot.

"just sayin' " (this is in quotes, because I am currently experimenting with its use)

Ken

* in political speak, this is "self deporting and self demoting"
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Failing to Declare Firearms at a Canadian Border Crossing

Oops, brain f**t. My mistake
Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
For those who think Customs Officials ask "silly questions" that dishonest people wouldn't answer anyway.... They are not "silly questions".
If you don't lock the doors to your gun safe...then you are guilty of endangering children and are practicing criminal behavior and can be prosecuted for it.

If you are not required to answer a "silly question" because it was never asked .... then you cannot be held liable for willfully lying to a peach officer and willfully violating the law.

In other words, if the Officer failed to ask the question...then you cannot be held criminally responsible for lying to the question. DOH!

Don't be so quick to ridicule. It can make you appear ridiculous.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

...... At my age, I would have a hard time learning to say "Eh?" all the time and calling a faucet a spigot.

I can promise you - "Eh?" is not learned - it just happens - no one knows where or how they started using it - and no one ever notices anyone else using it ..... that is until we go on vacation to the U.S. - then someone - usually a campground attendant when registering - they will inevitably say ..... "Where in Canada y'all from???"

"Spigot"?? - we call them "taps"

Now - if Americans would only learn what the heck a "Hydro Pedestal" is ......

And when I order a "Rye and Coke" - it could never in any Canadians wildest nightmare possibly mean "Scotch and Coke" ..... anyone know how bad that tastes????

Thanks,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I can promise you - "Eh?" is not learned - it just happens - no one knows where or how they started using it - and no one ever notices anyone else using it ..... that is until we go on vacation to the U.S. - then someone - usually a campground attendant when registering - they will inevitably say ..... "Where in Canada y'all from???"

"Spigot"?? - we call them "taps"

Now - if Americans would only learn what the heck a "Hydro Pedestal" is ......

And when I order a "Rye and Coke" - it could never in any Canadians wildest nightmare possibly mean "Scotch and Coke" ..... anyone know how bad that tastes????

Thanks,

Jay
Don't count on this changing soon. I just did a Google search and came up with very many options. (A couple of which I even have).

Ken
Closed Thread