Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardglass View Post
Just a reminder, if you're in the right lane, you have the right of way. Merging traffic from on ramps are to yield

Note that SOME places this is not true any more. If there is not a YIELD SIGN, then there usually is a ZIPPER MERGE sign now.

In a zipper merge, there is no one vehicle with right of way. It's a "work it out" situation.

Be aware of this, and that even if you do have right of way that many drivers no longer have enough training or abstract thinking skills to understand this and yield.

Be defensive, which means be looking all the time, and assume the other driver is clueless.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #16
Land of Oz

1970 25' Tradewind
Pittsfield Twp , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Law is no different in Ohio. They encourage “zipper” merging but merging traffic on a ramp must yield. Move over and you’ll get stuck in the fast lane with your RV.
I was kidding about Ohio, hope I didn't offend any safe Ohio drivers...
10 years of driving a semi up and down Ohio on i75 has made me a bit biased

wizardglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Take three or four shake down trips. Try the Interstate, try two lanes, try mountains, try cities, try pull throughs, try back-ins, try your driveway.

Get the sales person's cell phone number. Use them to solve system problems when they come up.

Practice hooking up the rig. Practice backing in an open parking lot where you can't hit anything. Practice GOAL - get out and look. Stop, slow down or leave when you feel unsafe. Use a spotter. Stop when they tell you to stop. Do not move if you can't see them in your mirror. They are your eyes, not your driving instructor. If you don't know how to back up, use a pull through until you have practiced enough to back up safely. Do it all in small stages. You will get better over time.

Plan your trip, so you are not making route decisions on the fly. Have two or three sites located to stay each night so you are not hunting and driving.

Both driver and navigator should be active participants. Two sets of eyes see more than one set. No sleeping in either position. Constant attentive focus on driving and navigtion. Stop to do your sight seeing.

Yield - back-off - slow down - stay away from bunches of traffic. Do not let a schedule force you into a bad situation. Skip it, move on, do it tomorrow and stay cool, calm and collected.

Towing is not the same as solo driving. It is not a two fingers on the wheel exercise with the brain thinking about the fishing to come. It should not be a white knuckle driving experience either. Get your head into driving with full attention and both hands on the wheel.

Transit major cities before or after rush hour. Start early and stop early. Enjoy the awning time. Roll up the awning before you go to bed. Do the walk around twice before you leave. Use a check list. Adjust the mirrors before you leave.

Do not pull into a place that you can not see an exit path. If you are caught and need to back out, get your spotter out to help. Go slow. Others have done it. You can too.

Watch road transitions. A fuel stop drive can be deep enough that the rig will drag. Look for drives with less difference in road surface. Pot holes and ruts as well as road surface drop offs can be similar hazards. Smooth roads are great. When you are experienced you can learn how to transit problems with blocks or the I ain't gonna stop here approach.

Always look up and down for hazards. Tree limbs, house eves, signs, low bridges ..... look up, down, all around. Those concrete tire blocks can ruin your sewer connections if you hit them. Some parks use tree logs for same function and they are even taller.

When following a truck, you can not see very far in front. Back off 5-6 seconds to get a better view. Tire treds do damage to your TV and coach. Do your very best to not hit them. If you are boxed in by traffic, you have no where to go. Back off and give yourself an out. Worst case, if you hit something it can be repaired. Rolling the rig just ruins the whole day. Drive defensively. You have to drive for the idiot behind you too. If you stop short and he is not looking, you will collect him on the trailer. His insurance pays, but your trip is toast. Leave lots of room to stop and pay attention.

Practice hard braking stops in a safe location before you need to do one in an emergency. Set up the brake controller each day when you start out.

Suggestion - when approaching a rough section of driving conditions, stop and have a comfort break. Thinking about needing to stop for a bathroom is the last thing you want to be doing when merging with a long line of traffic or traveling at speed through a construction zone.

Most important - have fun. If you are not having fun, stop, have a rest and then try again. Stay safe out there. Chase those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardglass View Post
except Ohio, no one seems to know that rule
Hey.....I'm originally from Ohio. Growing up, we used to make fun of how Michaganders drive. I see the feeling is mutual!
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Slow and deliberate!

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote