Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Door dispute with spouse?

We just started to fulltime in our 1999 Classic. So excited. We have not been able to travel out of our area due to puppy's health but will soon So we are in and out of the AS a little often during the day. My complaint with my husband is his closing of the door. I say gentler would be better..kind of forceful. Trailer shakes a little. Who is right?

Help BadKat (New Orleans)
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are right. Slamming the door will eventually cause problems. For instance, one day you will not be able to get in. Or you won't be able to lock the door. And the list goes on.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Who is right?

Um.. the answer depends on how comfortable the couch is

I agree however that an Airstream door being closed can sound loud and feel 'aggressive'. Can yours be closed quietly? Mine can't....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's the screen door that makes the noise in my Argosy. The outside door opens very easily. To close it, we hold the handle in the open position close the door and with gentle pressure the door will latch by just letting go of the handle. This trailer has the infamous KT lock assembly. So we are very careful with it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Is he forcefully slamming the door? That would be a no no... But sometimes the doors are harder to latch, especially if the trailer isn't completely level. I think Twinkie was right, hold the door latch so it's open, push the door against the trailer and release the latch. When Colin Hyde worked on my trailer he had to have someone tig weld one of my door hinges because it had cracked, better to prevent than to have to fix!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Do not "flip" the door shut, but put your hand over the latch and shove it firmly, but not too slow or it won't catch. That's the gentlest method I have found.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Depends!!!!!!

Hi, sometimes if closed too gently it won't latch completely and you will have to do it again; Therefore it is better to be a little bit firmer and only have to close it once. Pulling from the inside takes more force than being able to flat-hand the door from the outside. On the newer trailers that have a latch similar to a car, you cannot hold the handle open. The older models that have door latches like in a house, can hold the handle until closed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
More often than not, with our '95, we have to open the handle to close the door fully. When everything is juuuuuuuuuuuuuusssst right, it'll close without much effort, but that's unusual enough that I'm surprised when it works.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I spent quite a bit of time with mine last summer and with all the info available for door adjustment on the forum and printed from AS. It seems to be a bit of art and science to learn...and courage to bend and flex the door.....but I finally got mine to where it closes with a nice "plinking" sound and with little effort, as opposed to the firm sorta slam I used to have to employ.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for all the advice. Since it comes from someone other than me its sinking in :-)). I like we need be to find a comfortable balance to protect the door..so we will work on technique.

So great to have all the help.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Some silicone spray on the lock and the door seal might help it to close much easier.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Some silicone spray on the lock and the door seal might help it to close much easier.
Ding! We have a winnner. Most slamming door issues are due to the bolt not sliding into the catch plate due to friction. Keep it well lubed with a dry silicone lubricant and then door closing+latching is easy (and quiet).
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Ditto: make certain that the latch mechanisms are well lubricated. AS.com recommends a carbon based lubricant, but we use DW-40 or Silicone. We can also hold the latch slightly open and gently "push" the door closed without slamming it. Or from the inside, a gentle pull on the door handle closes the door without hassle.

Another point: "argument"????? nah!.....only slight difference of opinions.....slight!

Married 46 years!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
You really do begin to understand how your trailer flexes....I can tell how level it is, and whether or not I've dropped stabilizers with how the door closes. I try NOT to slam it if possible. Even with all this caution, I had my door lock itself "automatically" last summer. Fortunately, I had a key to get back in...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ok. Confession time.

I "apparently" need to spend time with my Airstream learning to properly "level"!!!!!!

This weekend was "maiden voyage", not far only 10 miles to campground... So more like "shakedown " cruise.
Get on site and realize not level. So I put aft stabilizers down then lifted tongue. I then " caught" the trailer on stabilizers. Only about 1 inch lift. Door hard to shut.

Today I towed to storage. I repeated the "lift" of trailer and settled on stabilizers. This time severe misalignment of door latch to striker pin. I let weight off the stabilizers and bingo! Door closes!

Like I said, I have trouble reading due to vision issue. But missed the part about really low pressure on stabilizers.

Recommendations welcome in messages, this way we can talk
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The stabilizers are not intended to lift the coach. Only to keep it from rocking when you walk around inside.
DO NOT LIFT THE COACH WITH THE STABILIZERS.
Use leveling blocks along with the tongue jack to level the coach.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ok. Confession time.

I "apparently" need to spend time with my Airstream learning to properly "level"!!!!!!

This weekend was "maiden voyage", not far only 10 miles to campground... So more like "shakedown " cruise.
Get on site and realize not level. So I put aft stabilizers down then lifted tongue. I then " caught" the trailer on stabilizers. Only about 1 inch lift. Door hard to shut.

Today I towed to storage. I repeated the "lift" of trailer and settled on stabilizers. This time severe misalignment of door latch to striker pin. I let weight off the stabilizers and bingo! Door closes!

Like I said, I have trouble reading due to vision issue. But missed the part about really low pressure on stabilizers.

Recommendations welcome in messages, this way we can talk
We have bubble levels on the front and curb side of our AS. We use the front one to see how level we are athwart ship (port-starboard/street side-curb side) and use leveling blocks under the wheels. After two years we can tell by just looking at how many degrees out of level we are, how high we need to stack the blocks (we have 3 sets currently and have only wanted a 4th set a couple of times at very uneven sites). Once we are level side to side we put the regular style tire chocks on the non lifted set of tires as soon as we have driven onto the blocks to safely prevent the trailer from rolling away. Then we use the tongue jack to level the trailer fore and aft. When, and only when we are as level as we are going to get, we put down the stabilizer jacks (snug, but not too tight). Finally we put on the X-Chock between the two tires that are on the leveling blocks. This method works for us, YMMV.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks ! Like I said "confession time"...

A little "saying" I use is "the TRUTH will set you free!....but FIRST it WILL make you miserable!"

I assure you, I am miserable now.

Another saying;"Lose the lumps, not the lesson!" This is where I am now.

The thing that bothers me is that I had a feeling I was not leveling properly. Now I have solid evidence.

Thanks y'all!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote