Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We travel with two labs on board, note the avatar. They settle into nomadic life very well in that it fulfills their greatest desire in life, to go wherever we go. They don't like the rain either, even though they are water dogs, so it makes it convenient to hunker down on a rainy day. Just attended a rally with only one. I bet the other one is going to be mad when we get home!

We solve the exercise problem by keeping a couple of big tennis balls in their cubby. Every couple of days they have to work off that nervous energy so I take them out off leash and have a good fetch/retrieve session with them. They also like to swim and don't mind cold water so that helps also. I bring their kennels and stick them in there if they get really grimy.

I see lots of AS owners who have cats and I think it's great that their companion travels with them. I met Riley this weekend and he's the bomb!

silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Dog(s) on board!....and no, I am not eccentric.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Our Joey, well I guess technically we we're his, was a travelin' man. In fact we're pretty sure he'd traveled here from a far away galaxy and his space ship got a flat. He loved going places. He especially loved camping at Larrabee State Park. He'd sit up in the rear bath window and look down on them dogs. Of course that was where we left the electric heater. A view, mess with the dogs, and an electric heater; life's good... even if you are stuck on planet earth.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Thumbs up Pack of Doggies aboard...

We travel with not less than 4 dogs...all of which simply love to travel...(thank the Ghods for that!). This gets interesting in a 22-footer with three humans aboard as well.

One is a Tibetan Terrier (Teddy)--like a Shi-tszu on steroids. He weighs about 25 pounds, is a big goofy ball of fluff, and loves to explore and sniff-test campgrounds and their occupants. He's never met anyone he did not like to get petted by...

His best buddies are a pair of Pomeranian/chihuahua mix brothers from the same litter--one brown and tan and the other mostly black with a few white fur accents on chest and toes. They are hinged together and follow Teddy like little furry shadows. Vader and Chewbacca are inseperable, and usually too afraid of strangeness to stray far from the trailer.

Chocolate is our semi-retired old lady chihuahua mix, not related to the boys. She is fairly laid back and enjoying her sunset years as best she can. She does 'mother' the pups occasionally, and tends to play rough puppy style when noone is watching.

All these beasties are rescues, get along well, and are carefully kept on leashes outdoors, sleep in the back seat of the TV on the road, relax in the Airstream at night, and generally enjoy being on the road--as long as they are with us and fed on time, they are content.

We let them stay in their crates in the trailer when we are eating in a restaurant on the road--assuming the weather is cool enough for Fantastic Fans to keep them cool. If not, it's Dad runs into Cracker Barrel for takeout while rest of family walks doggies behind the place. And yes, we pick up after them--always.

They are our furry family, and we rarely board them--last time the dog boarding cost more than the family vacation stay at Disneyworld...sigh. The greeting when we came to pick them up was time we're going to stay at Fort Wilderness or equal.

Can't fathom having a cat that would be this much fun on a trip, however. We're not cat folk.
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
We used to take our old Siamese Joey camping with us. He was odd, in many ways, but unlike most cats loved traveling from day one. If you'd let him he'd stick his nose out the window like a dog (which we only ever did when traveling at driveway speeds after arriving at the beach).

At first he was concerned about the dogs at the campground. Once he realized he could sit up in the back window in front of the electric heater and look down on them all was good!

Our current cats have learned to tolerate travel but I don't think they'll ever like it. But the one time we boarded them they really didn't like that either and were off their food for a week. At most now they'll pass on one meal after going on the road.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We used to travel with 2 dogs and 2 cats so a move from our 07 20 ft was warranted.Good thing we did as we acquired another Samoyed after we ordered.One of the cats passed away this year at 18yrs,so we are left with our 14 year old who acts like a kitten.The 25ftFB is perfect as we can put the litter box in the shower well and her food up on the seat area.With the door propped open there is no issue.She will occasionally pop out the screen door slide if we forget to close it but knows where the trailer is if she gets anxious.
Everyone sleeps inside and they all get along.It's the only way to travel. Maggie the cat was awol during the photo shoot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	224634

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	224635

gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
Well, call me crazy, but we travel and live in our 25' Flying Cloud with 4 Cats. Sometimes one rides up front, but we find the cats ride happier and safer in the trailer. They are not in love with traveling, but it works. They do go outside, but only if we are in a very safe spot and have been there a couple of days or so for their stress levels to have lowered.
StreamlineAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We travel with a Lab Puppy, just completed 7,000 miles which we started when she was one year old, finished the trip at 14 months. Great traveler. Sleep while we drove, stopped and like someone else said - READY. I train dogs in my retirement, mostly abused and neglected for a local rescue so to get our pup real tired very quickly she goes for a walk and then full on training. Using their mind is harder on them then physical exercise. We also try to stop where there is water - she loves the rain, loves cold windy days and now that she has learned what water is, wakes from a dead sleep and starts to cry when we drive by.

We did see a number of people with cats this year, many in tents. They walked them on a leash and never heard any of them, I say good for the owners taking their pets with them.

Safe Travels.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote