Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Browns Mills , New Jersey
Talking Does this Airstream even exist?

I have a 1988 29 foot Excella, and for the most part we are happy with it...except for a couple of things. I like the length and the fact that it has only 2 axels, this make for easy parking in State and Federal campgrounds that sometimes limit the length to 30 feet. What I would love to change would be the fact that it has twin beds and no dining table. It has the one you can put up and down in front of the couch, but I really would like to have a separate one and a queen size bed. The only layout we have found also has the "walk thru" bathroom.YUK! That is my deal breaker..So my question is...does this layout exist??? No more than 30 feet, dual axel, queen bed, separate dining table, enclosed bathroom??? It seems like the enclosed bathroom is the one thing that messes up my search...I do not want to walk thru the toilet area to get into bed!! Who came up with this design??? Right now, we are sticking with what we have, its very comfortable for the two of us, especially since it's paid for!!
Sandi & Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I like our walk-through bathroom. Enough room to move around in. It's popular enough that it's still being produced, even after 20 years or so.

The issue you have is that you want a queen bed and a dinette. Those are limited to a few models. The 30', the 34', and the post-2000 25' are your main options. This is why we went with the 30'. We didn't want a 34', and the 25's were too expensive.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I'm the opposite. I like twin beds - it makes the trailer feel more roomier, different storage layout, my wife's and my chance to have space by myself once in a while (while camping), preferred blankets, ease of getting in and out of bed, and can double as a dining room for kids or friends, and finally, I'm a fishing guy, so when I go to a fishing tournaments, I have a bed for my fishing partner and one for myself -- don't like the idea to share the queen bed! That's a lot of pluses for us. Now, with the walk through bathroom, I like to have toilet access close to my bed, separate shower from the toilet so we don't have to wait for each other to finish showering to use the bathroom, and it's further away from galley and living area -- for a good reason. I think you have an excellent size and floor plan, but that's just us. And, it's paid for, it will be kind of wasteful to think about another trailer with different floor plan and pay more (or go back into payments).
mje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You will never find anyone measuring your trailer to be sure it is <30'. So, look at the many 31' ones out there to expand your search. I have shorter trailers, but if a 29' will fit in a spot, 99.9% of the time a 31' will also.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Our 85 Excella has enclosed bathroom on the side. Our 76 Sovereign had a rear bath (very roomy and private) and a full size bed in the middle of the trailer. So the answer is yes, they do exist.
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
oops forgot the dinette. don't have one, hubby feels they are wasted space. also should have said these are 31' trailers.
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
How about the 27FB. It has a dinette on one end and a queen on the other. Big windows on both ends as well. Fits in all parks and very easy to park.
Mike-Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Gloria View Post
How about the 27FB. It has a dinette on one end and a queen on the other. Big windows on both ends as well. Fits in all parks and very easy to park.
^-x2

Our 2012 27FB Flying Cloud sounds like the layout you're looking for. Give one a shot and see what you think!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Sandi & Bob,

Wow! You think my walk-thru bathroom is "Yuk". Geez, that's harsh.

People are entitled to their opinions of course. I just don't think I've ever heard it said so negatively.

By the way, I love our 30' Airstream, walk-thru bathroom and all!!

And to the person who designed it - THANK YOU!

Anyway, good luck in your search. I hope you find what you're looking for.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I love our 27FB, but I think that by the OP's definition, that would count as having a walk-thru bathroom (e.g. WC on one side of the hall and shower on the other). That doesn't bother me in the least, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet their primary criteria.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Oh - I misunderstood the definition of walk through bathroom then. Sorry. With bathroom and shower doors closed, it's just a hallway to me - I don't consider it walking through the bathroom.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
I love our 27FB, but I think that by the OP's definition, that would count as having a walk-thru bathroom (e.g. WC on one side of the hall and shower on the other). That doesn't bother me in the least, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet their primary criteria.
That's not really a walk-through bathroom; it's a split bathroom.

Side note: Culturally, the Japanese think that having a toilet in the same room as the bathing area is unsanitary, so Japanese homes are almost universally designed with split bathrooms. A Japanese woman of my acquaintance is absolutely appalled by the wet bath in my Interstate for that very reason.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's not really a walk-through bathroom; it's a split bathroom.
I was a bit confused by the OP's requirement, but this sums it up nicely. Our split bathroom forms a handy barrier between us adults and the kids; I love it!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Not to pile on here, but the fold-away table is one thing we turely loved about our '81 model trailer.

We hate the fixed dinette in our FB FC so badly, we are in the middle of replacing it with a fold-away.

To each, his own.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I think the 30' Bunkhouse is what you are looking for.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
The 30' Bunkhouse is what my granddaughter is wanting. Unfortunately, she is only 8 and doesn't have the money (or a job) to purchase it, yet!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
My Argosy originally had the fold away table with the swiveling bench seats and two twins in the rear. The previous owner had replaced the fold down with a standard dinette top with more room. I did not like the two twins so I took an axe to the back room and tore everything out. It was in rough shape anyway! It now has a queen bed and lots of storage underneath.
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Maybe you should look at Avions

The Avion 30P has a version that has full rear bath, full bed, ample galley, side sofa in front and a dining area also in front. It also has a very solid frame (no frame separation ever), anodized skin so easy care forever and a very very open floor plan.

These are hard to find but worth the effort.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Browns Mills , New Jersey
Thank you for all the feedback.. Let me clarify what I mean as a walk thru bathroom..I do not want to have to walk thru the toilet area and see the toilet with no door to close it off to get to my bed. Especially when I am camping with friends and they are sleeping on the pull out couch up front and they need to use the bathroom during the night...They would have to close off two doors, my bed and the other for privacy. I have not seen where the toilet has its own door...Maybe Im wrong, but this is what I saw in someone else's camper and thought all walk thru's were the same...I don't care if the shower is on one side and the toilet on the other, if they both had doors...Again...Thanks for all the feedback...
Sandi & Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi & Bob View Post
Thank you for all the feedback.. Let me clarify what I mean as a walk thru bathroom..I do not want to have to walk thru the toilet area and see the toilet with no door to close it off to get to my bed.
Easy enough to fix by installing an accordion-fold door in front of the toilet to close it off without causing a problem due to a hinged door's swing.