Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

California city , California
Does size matter?

I am planning one year in advance, newly single lady retiring from Corrections. I have had my heart set on a Sport 16' but after viewing in person rather than brochure I have doubts. I plan to travel the US for 2-3 years then settle near grand children. The closet space is very limited but how much vehicle do I need for one? I will be pulling with a Subaru Tribeca. I do love comfort and plan to bring my dog. Any advice or tips from those with experience is very appreciated.
Lulu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
For a Subaru Tribeca with a tow rating of only 2,000 pounds, I'd go with a Casita or get a tow vehicle with more capacity.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
the tow rating is 3500lbs. The tribeca would do the 16 sport just fine. Depending how seriously you take those ''tow rating'' it would most likely do the 22sport decently also if setup properly by someone like Can-Am

But everyone as a different opinion on tow vehicle..... I have own subaru all my life and now a F150 ecoboost. What i can say is the best tow vehicle i have own was the subaru WRX. while the rating wasnt there...i was a monster tow machine that performed amazingly.
jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
For a Subaru Tribeca with a tow rating of only 2,000 pounds, I'd go with a Casita or get a tow vehicle with more capacity.
Actually, they have not been making the TriBeCa since 2014 but are coming out again in late 2016-2017 and they will tow 4500#. My. Heart is set on AS more then the towing vehicle however.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I have an Outback now which I love but I assumed the insurance would be invalidated if the tow rating is exceeded. Outback has 3000# limit and the 16' is posted at 3500#.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Just curious, what did u tow with WRX?
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Your tow vehicle not with standing, there are a couple of issues you should be aware of. A 16' Airstream has a wet bath. This is where the toilet is in the shower, so to speak. We have a wet bath in our truck camper and can speak from experience. I would not care to use a wet bath while full timing; it would get old pretty quick.

Also, a 16' Airstream has a single waste tank (Black and gray combined). I would also find this problematic for extended Airstream excursions.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
My question to you would be what is your camping background and philosophy. Have you done a lot backpacking or car tent camping? Do you take a minimalist approach to traveling and pack light? Do you see yourself as camping or do you want to watch TV and sit inside a lot? We got our Sport 16 in January and just returned from a two week trip in a National Forest which brought us up to 87 nights in the camper. We think it is a perfect fit for us. Right size for two people. So far the combined waste tank has not been a limitation at all. However we do not put any solids in it. If we use the shower it is outside. 85% of the time we stay where showers and flush toilets are provided. 99% of the time there will be water and toilets at least
I guess what I am saying is we see ourselves as campers rather than RVers and our trips tend to be two to six weeks in duration. The idea of hauling around a bunch of stuff we would rarely if ever use does not appeal to us.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyo View Post
the tow rating is 3500lbs. The tribeca would do the 16 sport just fine. Depending how seriously you take those ''tow rating''.

Tribeca
2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006: 3500lbs with auxiliary transmission cooler. Otherwise 2000lbs.
Hard towing (hot, uphill, no trailer brakes, no trans cooler) 1000lbs

http://www.cars101.com/towing.html
Old 11-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lule View Post
Actually, they have not been making the TriBeCa since 2014 but are coming out again in late 2016-2017 and they will tow 4500#. My. Heart is set on AS more then the towing vehicle however.

There you go ... get the new one and a tiny AS (if a wet bath is acceptable).
Some will claim that tow ratings are relative. I prefer to err on the side of safety as I no longer get paid vast sums of money for pushing the limits, nor is the cleanup crew there any more.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Agree that a lot depends upon your camping style. We spent 7 happy years with a 16' Bambi, and never felt cramped. We did have to pay attention to the diagnostics on the waste and fresh water tanks, but this wasn't any kind of limitation. When Bambi the First had to be replaced due to an accident, we decided on the 19' Flying Cloud due to its "dry bath" and slightly bigger kitchen: it also comes with more storage space. Now we're very happy with it.

So many people on this site urge newcomers to go for a larger AS, and yes-- they are so much more roomy and luxurious inside. But we find "small is beautiful" for the type of mountain and desert camping we like to do: often in old public campgrounds designed long ago for shorter camping rigs. Recently we just got one of the last sites available in Capitol Reef National Park's campground, and spent a wonderful 5 days camping there, and we would have totally missed out with a longer trailer.

On the choice of tow vehicle, if you drive much in the mountains it's not great to be under-powered. Your vehicle will probably be packing a lot of gear, besides. We towed our 16-footer with a Toyota Tacoma and it was fine, but we felt it on the up-hills. Our 19-footer weighs 4500 lbs, and we are happy with our V-8 Toyota Tundra, which handles the big passes like a breeze. The big advantage of a truck with a cap (canopy) on the back end is room for all kinds of luggage and camping gear. A lot of people also like the added stability of a longer wheel base.

This site may be of interest: http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Some will claim that tow ratings are relative.
Part of that is because there is more than one "rating" for any given vehicle, and dealers will always tell you the highest one even if you'll never be able to achieve it in real life.

1 - Hitch receiver capacity.
2 - GVWR. When you add the weight of the vehicle, occupants, gear, and trailer tongue, you can't exceed the vehicle's GVWR.
3 - Rear Axle Weight rating. When you add the weight of all the gear plus the trailer tongue weight, you can't exceed the RAWR. This is probably the real limiting factor for most tow vehicles. You'll generally never reach the GVWR because the front axle won't be fully loaded, and GVWR = RAWR and FAWR.
4 - Gross Combined Weight Rating. The actual weight of the trailer plus the actual weight of the fully loaded tow vehicle can't exceed the GCWR.
5 - Drivetrain. Rated towing capacities are based on pool-table-flat terrain. If you tow in mountains, the engine's ability to claw its way up a slope, and/or the brakes' ability to stop you on a downslope can be the limiting factors, and these are never quantified in some manual; you have to learn by experimentation what your vehicle can actually handle.

When you compute towing capacity these many ways, the LOWEST one is the one you're stuck with.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
If you "have your doubts" after looking one over, then I don't think you ought to buy it. I can't imagine someone who starts out with a trailer they think might be too small becoming happier with it as they use it. There are no doubt people who love their 16' AS, some of whom have already responded to your post, but there are many more people who have found their first trailer to be too cramped and bought a larger one later.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Your camping style will dictate your needs. But try to be honest with yourself, especially if full timing. We have several friends who have 16s and love them for their style of camping. But they do mostly shorter trips, not full timing. I'd at least look at 19' for 1 person and your dog. 3' adds more than you might guess. You can still tow it with a light truck or SUV. We have a 19' and tow with an 07 Tacoma. We are not full timing and find this size perfect for us and how/ where we camp. Look at them in person before you decide. And good luck! (And have fun!)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Most people always want bigger ,were the opposite we started with a 19 footer and downsized to the 16 footer and were happier , there are more campsites available to smaller trailers , I m a minimalists so I enjoy the smaller trailer, less to wash and wax ,less on insurance ,easier to sell as more vehicles have 3500 lbs tow rating, hold there value more then larger trailers, better fuel economy And as others have said most campgrounds have washrooms and showers, I have used the shower many times in our 16 sport it's functional, the worst thing is the combo grey ,black tank , it can fill quickly if not careful ,we can go four to five days without emptying the tank as long as we're conservative. We love our 16 footer !

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Buying the right trailer is very rewarding. Buying the wrong trailer can be costly, both financially and emotionally. An opinion from a newbie may be of some value. My opinion is based on 2 weeks of ownership and 2 nights in the AS. The emotions and feelings of the purchase are still strong. After the first night or two out you quickly decide if the decision was the right one. You get an immediate feel of satisfaction or need for more room. I will tell you can not get the real feel for the camper by simply viewing it or sitting in it in a show room. There's some risk if you hadn't had camper experience. We fell in that category. Finding out what you can live with or with out is crucial.

For us it was the bathroom first. Even if I was camping alone, I would not be happy with a wet bath. Although I have spent much time in the wilderness in a tent, I can't imagine spending good money on a travel trailer and not having a stand up shower separate from the toilet. If its on wheels and I'm paying high dollar, I want a few camping luxuries. A well laid out bathroom is one of them.

Secondly, the separate gray water and black water tanks will make things much easier. The more the better. Although emptying the tanks is somewhat easy, it isn't always convenient. Having bigger capacity will be very important , especially if you go a few days with out sewage hook ups.

Thirdly, Storage and walk around room. Not the top on our list but a few extra feet makes a big difference for two or perhaps even one with a pet.

Just as important as anything is the proper tow vehicle/trailer ratio. I strongly advise you don't push a vehicle to its maximum. Adding transmission oilers and after market options can be tricky. Flat travel is entirely different than continuous hills or mountain passes. The wrong tow vehicle can be extremely costly in several ways.

If possible, rent what you think you want to purchase if possible. Your year ahead planning should allow for this. Visit a local airstream club and visit one of there rallies, people love to share information and you'll have a chance to see several airstreams all in one place.

Owning a 16 foot can be as rewarding as owning a 30 foot.
Airstream builds a variety I sizes for a reason, all of us folks have different needs and ideas on what size is best.

Good luck on your adventure.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
For us it was the bathroom first. Even if I was camping alone, I would not be happy with a wet bath. Although I have spent much time in the wilderness in a tent, I can't imagine spending good money on a travel trailer and not having a stand up shower separate from the toilet. If its on wheels and I'm paying high dollar, I want a few camping luxuries. A well laid out bathroom is one of them.
A dissenting opinion, if I may… Space is limited in any RV, and especially so in a small one. You spend less time in the bathroom, both toilet and shower, than any other part of the trailer. So it just makes sense for the bathroom to take up the least space practical, so you have more space in the rest of the trailer to use for the things you spend more time doing. A wet bath accomplishes that.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've never full-timed, but we have spent 6 weeks at a stretch in both of our Bambi's. Once you've figured out what features you actually want in a RV, space is a state of mind. Having said that, some people do feel claustrophobic in small spaces, so that could be an issue.

We did use the wet bath in the 16-footer, but usually only on dry sunny days, as the condensation of moisture throughout the little Bambi is an issue. Solution: CG showers. One advantage of the 19-footer is that the separate shower stall doubles as a good place to stash damp items until they can be dried out.

Our real secret to enjoying life in a small unit, though, is to spend most of the time outside. This isn't a problem for the hikers, cyclists, paddlers, birders, &c, who are probably most attracted to the smaller campsites, anyway. Whatever. You get the idea. It's a base camp from which to explore.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
I made this point in another thread but maybe it is relative here. Over the past three months I have been invited to tour three different Airstreams in three different campgrounds. All three had separate shower stalls and all three were being used as storage closets. All the owners said they rarely if ever used them anymore. The reasons were what you might expect...condensation, difficulty getting them dried out completely, in one case a leak, concerns about mold and mildew, and the convenience of campground showers. Now I do really like the outside shower option on our 16 for boondocking situations. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lule View Post
I am planning one year in advance, newly single lady retiring from Corrections. I have had my heart set on a Sport 16' but after viewing in person rather than brochure I have doubts. I plan to travel the US for 2-3 years then settle near grand children. The closet space is very limited but how much vehicle do I need for one? I will be pulling with a Subaru Tribeca. I do love comfort and plan to bring my dog. Any advice or tips from those with experience is very appreciated.
Welcome to the forum Lule! In addition to the good advice here, you may want to read the 20-footer thread from the beginning, as it deals with many factors you are considering. We just got a Flying Cloud 20' because she has the following features:

-- great corner galley with 2 sinks
-- LP gas oven and cooktop (not micro/convection oven)
-- stall shower in dry bath
-- more counter space for food prep
-- great opening screened windows hinged on top
(Suggest careful research on windows you want)

In my opinion our 20' is a better trailer for our needs than anything longer until you get up into the 25' to 28' range. She condenses the features of my old 25' into an acceptable compromise. The weakest link in the chain is the small front bed, but we have workarounds for this when the two of us travel together, including a desk area and bed in the tow vehicle.

Ditto to others about the smaller trailers being more useful to those who want/can use the outdoors for cooking and relaxing. An early morning cup of coffee prepared outside on a portable butane burner is great!

Good luck in your search!

Peter

20-footer thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote