Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Does running the AC provide us with any fresh air?

(I have searched to no avail.)

I am wondering if running the AC takes in some fresh air from outside the trailer. The reason I ask is, when it is the middle of the summer, if I am running AC with all of the windows closed, will there be some turnover of stale air within the Airstream, or does the AC simply recirculate the air already in the trailer? With multiple people sleeping inside, I want to make sure we are getting enough fresh air.

Many thanks for any answers!

Phil
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I believe it total recycling of inside air, but you can leave a window open a little to mix the air.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Mine is set up just like the air-conditioning in my house. There's no outside air intake.

As noted, you can crack open a window if it gets stuffy. I typically leave a roof vent open just an inch or two.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

Not to be a smart Alec but. Why not go outside periodically? When you open the door some fresh air will enter.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Probably cracking one of the top vents makes sense, since hot air rises. One far away from the AC output vent would be best, so you're not just pumping cold air out as fast as it's being created. I don't imagine you would have to crack it much. My 2014 Airstream AC won't cool the air very much under the best of conditions. If the outside temp is 105, I don't think it would get the inside temp much below 90, even with all the doors and windows battened shut, so I wouldn't want anymore outside air coming in than was absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Counting on it!

I'm counting on the AC to NOT add any fresh air, since most of the "fresh air" at the campgrounds is actually smoky air and I'm really bothered by any kind of smoke.

But, like someone else said, just open a vent a little if you like the smoke.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Some A/c units actually allow for that but you would have a knob that tells you so. The new carrier I put on the 79 had that feature and would blow it out of a little vent with a lid and a cable to open and close it.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
None of the presently available RV roof A/C units allow for the introduction of fresh air into the RV.

Allowing outside ambient air to enter the cabin while operating the A/C unit makes it's job mire difficult as it is trying to de-humidity the air as it cools it.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
It can get stuffy at night with five to six breathing individuals sleeping. Good question.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
None of the presently available RV roof A/C units allow for the introduction of fresh air into the RV.

Allowing outside ambient air to enter the cabin while operating the A/C unit makes it's job mire difficult as it is trying to de-humidity the air as it cools it.

Lew Farber
What Lewis said ^. It's much easier for the Air Conditioner to cool the already cooled air that's inside, than it is for it to cool the heated air from outside. Considering that we are living in little toaster ovens, the AC is already plenty taxed as it is. But yeah, six people, my gosh, I can see where you're coming from. Hope everyone brushes their teeth, LOL!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama

My family loves to camp.
It is near impossible to go camping with just the two of us.
But it is interesting how we fit four grandkids in our 27 EB.
Thinking about leaving a small vent open at night.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
When we go to Idaho next summer I am certain that my granddaughter Penny will want to go camping with us. They only just moved there and I miss them soooo much. Adeline is only 4 months old, but Penny is 4 years old.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Fulltiming in Florida its not so much about outside fresh air but humidity control. Only time I open my roof vents is while showering or using washer/dryer. I have 2 digital temp gages that also provide humidity readings for indoor/outdoor. Goal is always to keep it below 40% inside when possible.

Neither of my roof units pull in outside air...but I sure know when they have! Both will start to sweat and drip condensation around the vents which required me to keep a rag in the lower corner. Just another one of those "been there done that" tasks to share.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote