Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Do you use a screen room?

Am I crazy or is a screen room/tent a great addition to an RV/camping lifestyle?

I just purchased my dream screen room and my husband thinks it will be useless for camping. I have been envious of other campers in their bug protection shelters for some time. It seems that he has been oblivious to these structures.

I got a fantastic deal on a $199 Kelty Veil House for $49 at Marshall's. I couldn't believe it when I found it on the clearance rack in a pristine box. It sets up quick and easy and is compact enough to fit under the bench seat in the Westy.

I can't believe I was seriously considering ordering one last spring for full price. I put it off since I knew we would not be able to camp during the summer bug season this year due to other obligations. Now I'll be ready for the bugs next spring.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
1) Good for having lunch out doors in bug country.
2) Good for keeping the bees off the tri-tip or aging game.
3) Good for keeping the wee ones rounded up until you put the leash and hobbles on them.
4) Good for putting the old ones in to keep them out of the bugs and bees.
5) Good for keeping the bugs off your oil paintings till the paint dries.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
We've carried a similar screen house with us for many years. If you've found a suitable place to stow it when not being used you've covered it's only drawback in my opinion. We set up ours over the picnic table whenever we will be in the campground for a few days and flying insects are a problem. One of the reasons we go to state and national parks is to enjoy the outdoors. The screen house permits us to spend more time outdoors despite bugs or rain.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My husband seems to be warming to the tent idea.
Since we have a B-Class and drive it off our campsite for excursions our site often looks vacant and the few things we leave out can look abandoned. He decided the tent would be nice for avoiding that vacant look and good for camouflaging our belongings.
We seldom fill up the under-sofa area so I don't think it will be a problem to tuck it in there. It is awkward to access that area for things we use a lot. Stowing something we remove once and restow once per trip is the perfect type of item for that.
Thanks for your stories.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Screen Room

We have just finished our first full season using our screen room and our second full season camping with our Airstream.

The screen room is great for all the reasons above. We don't set it up for shorter stays but if we have three or four days or more at the same site we really enjoy the added living space. We are also finding more uses for our screen room the more we carry it. For one example, we use it as a bicycle garage during inclement weather.

This summer we had a windy lakeside storm that blew pretty hard. With the supports lowered and guy lines tightened we were amazed at how solidly it held. Through the window it looked like it would blow away any moment. That it didn't was a testiment to great design.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Great thread & helpful comments. We are wanting to purchase a screen room and wondered about the type that has 'side curtains' that can be lowered. Any suggestions to brands or websites to explore? TAI
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
We have one that's made to fit our Airstream. It attaches to our ZipDee awning and includes a skirt for the Airstream. We only use it about 10% of the time, but really enjoy in certain situations. It's especially nice if there are bugs. We also like it when we are in crowded campgrounds for multiple nights like Disney Ft. Wilderness ... it adds a little extra privacy and space.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
We always had a screen house when we were tent camping - for all the reasons stated in the previous posts.
Now that we are Airstreamers, we were wondering whether AS has "screen walls" to attach to the awning. We've seen this in various rv catalogs but haven't done any serious shopping yet.
Does anyone out there have something like this? If so, how do you feel this rates compared to a free-standing screen room/house?

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Looks like "UAPachyderm" answered my question with a simultaneous post.
Thanks - you must be psychic!
Did you purchase from the AS store?

Any other comments/opinions always welcome.

Happy Traveling...

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers
Looks like "UAPachyderm" answered my question with a simultaneous post.
Thanks - you must be psychic!
Did you purchase from the AS store?

Any other comments/opinions always welcome.

Happy Traveling...
It's been a few years but I ordered it through an Airstream dealer. I think the dealer referred to it as a "tropical screen room" ... I also think it was made by ZipDee but not 100% certain. The dealer coordinated with Airstream to confirm what to order, measured a few times, and, upon arrival, installed snaps to the awning and Airstream. My only regret is that I didn't get screen room material to match my awnings. My screen room is a light green ... dealer said this is the only color the "tropical screen room" comes in. Other than color, we love it. Also, it takes just 5-10 minutes to put up or down.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Anyone have pictures?
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
We always had a screen house when we were tent camping - for all the reasons stated in the previous posts.
Now that we are Airstreamers, we were wondering whether AS has "screen walls" to attach to the awning. We've seen this in various rv catalogs but haven't done any serious shopping yet.
Does anyone out there have something like this? If so, how do you feel this rates compared to a free-standing screen room/house?
I've not had much concern about leaving the screen house set up in the wind and rain. Not so with the awning.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2
Anyone have pictures?
This is from the ZipDee website
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
I've not had much concern about leaving the screen house set up in the wind and rain. Not so with the awning.
Thanks "Yankee" for the photo from the ZipDee website.

And that's a good point about the advantages of a screen house. Heck, when we tent camped, our screen house was much bigger than the tent. A real God-send in the rain with two active young boys!

We still have our old screen house but it's not exactly compact and the canvas has about breathed it's last. Guess it's time to shop around!

Happy traveling...

Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
...We still have our old screen house but it's not exactly compact and the canvas has about breathed it's last. Guess it's time to shop around!...
We finally retired our 1st one also. The new one with fiber poles fits In a bag the size the old one needed for the poles alone! The OP on this thread got a really good deal on hers. Gander Mountain shows one on their site that is 12x12 and weighs about 20#.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
A tropical screen room for my Argosy Minuet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
I ordered it through an Airstream dealer. I think the dealer referred to it as a "tropical screen room" ... I also think it was made by ZipDee but not 100% certain. The dealer coordinated with Airstream to confirm what to order, measured a few times, and, upon arrival, installed snaps to the awning and Airstream. Other than color, we love it. Also, it takes just 5-10 minutes to put up or down.
I was in Chicago, a couple years ago, to have my ZipDee awning installed on my 1977 Argosy Minuet. I have taken the advantage of being there to take all the measurements for a future purchase of a tropical screen room. I have not yet decided though on the utility of it. Considering the size (small) of my unit, I had thought that such a screen room could be advantageous for long stays. I am still considering purchasing it, but I am glad to read all the comments on the pros and cons of having such equipment...
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
The Kelty Veil House is very compact. It has 2 anodized aluminum poles and is lightweight nylon.
It stows in a bag that is 26x8x8. It weighs less than 13lbs. It is limited on head space as it is a dome but is 6-4 in the center. It is waterproof and has roll up flaps to close off the screen openings. This is a good fit for our 18.5' Sprinter Van Westy.
The awning screen room sounds tempting and I have seen pics of other Westies with them. Our awning is a Fiamma and I think I have seen them on the German Westfalia site. But it takes months to get things.

We plan to upgrade to a short TT again when we our second son goes to college next year. Right now we love the agile-ness of the Westy for following his rowing team. We are the team cooks and the van has been wonderful for boondocking at the venues. I can't justify the expense of the specialized awning screen room since we may be selling in less than a year. though the thought of bug-free square footage just outside our sliding door is tempting!

Name:   image-2748471152.png
Views: 807
Size:  33.6 KB
Here is the Kelty Veil House

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1040381850.png
Views:	305
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	142565
This is our van at Nationals last summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1062261463.png
Views:	219
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	142564  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Bird's Nest -
You got an awesome deal on that screenhouse!
We shopped around on the web last night, hoping we might find it on clearance somewhere since it's the end of the traditional camping season. We're still doing some research but from what we can see - you really had a stroke of luck. Enjoy!

BTW...kudos to you for being such supportive parents. I'm sure your son and his team truly appreciate your efforts.

Happy traveling...

Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am looking at buying a screen room however I would like one more versatile then the zip dee and was wondering if anyone had experience with the ones made by PahaQue's

Thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I am looking at buying a screen room however I would like one more versatile then the zip dee and was wondering if anyone had experience with the ones made by PahaQue's

Thanks

John
PahaQue makes decent products. When we were pop up and tent camping we used to use there potty teepee. Never had a problem with it. I currently have an EZ UP popup canopy with screen panels 10x10 and have been happy with it. A bit on the heavy side but decent head room and not too hard to set up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote