Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers
...We still have our old screen house but it's not exactly compact and the canvas has about breathed it's last. Guess it's time to shop around!...
We finally retired our 1st one also. The new one with fiber poles fits In a bag the size the old one needed for the poles alone! The OP on this thread got a really good deal on hers. Gander Mountain shows one on their site that is 12x12 and weighs about 20#.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
A tropical screen room for my Argosy Minuet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
I ordered it through an Airstream dealer. I think the dealer referred to it as a "tropical screen room" ... I also think it was made by ZipDee but not 100% certain. The dealer coordinated with Airstream to confirm what to order, measured a few times, and, upon arrival, installed snaps to the awning and Airstream. Other than color, we love it. Also, it takes just 5-10 minutes to put up or down.
I was in Chicago, a couple years ago, to have my ZipDee awning installed on my 1977 Argosy Minuet. I have taken the advantage of being there to take all the measurements for a future purchase of a tropical screen room. I have not yet decided though on the utility of it. Considering the size (small) of my unit, I had thought that such a screen room could be advantageous for long stays. I am still considering purchasing it, but I am glad to read all the comments on the pros and cons of having such equipment...

Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
The Kelty Veil House is very compact. It has 2 anodized aluminum poles and is lightweight nylon.
It stows in a bag that is 26x8x8. It weighs less than 13lbs. It is limited on head space as it is a dome but is 6-4 in the center. It is waterproof and has roll up flaps to close off the screen openings. This is a good fit for our 18.5' Sprinter Van Westy.
The awning screen room sounds tempting and I have seen pics of other Westies with them. Our awning is a Fiamma and I think I have seen them on the German Westfalia site. But it takes months to get things.

We plan to upgrade to a short TT again when we our second son goes to college next year. Right now we love the agile-ness of the Westy for following his rowing team. We are the team cooks and the van has been wonderful for boondocking at the venues. I can't justify the expense of the specialized awning screen room since we may be selling in less than a year. though the thought of bug-free square footage just outside our sliding door is tempting!

Name:   image-2748471152.png
Views: 367
Size:  33.6 KB
Here is the Kelty Veil House

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1040381850.png
Views:	222
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	142565
This is our van at Nationals last summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1062261463.png
Views:	98
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	142564  
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Bird's Nest -
You got an awesome deal on that screenhouse!
We shopped around on the web last night, hoping we might find it on clearance somewhere since it's the end of the traditional camping season. We're still doing some research but from what we can see - you really had a stroke of luck. Enjoy!

BTW...kudos to you for being such supportive parents. I'm sure your son and his team truly appreciate your efforts.

Happy traveling...

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am looking at buying a screen room however I would like one more versatile then the zip dee and was wondering if anyone had experience with the ones made by PahaQue's

Thanks

John
Old 07-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I am looking at buying a screen room however I would like one more versatile then the zip dee and was wondering if anyone had experience with the ones made by PahaQue's

Thanks

John
PahaQue makes decent products. When we were pop up and tent camping we used to use there potty teepee. Never had a problem with it. I currently have an EZ UP popup canopy with screen panels 10x10 and have been happy with it. A bit on the heavy side but decent head room and not too hard to set up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
We always carry one and use it quite often if the bugs are out. Set it up right over the picnic table. Works well. Every single bug that gets in there is trapped with you! But I saw some folks recently that had a rather large tent with plenty of standing room and thought it might be even better to have one of those. Especially since it comes with a floor so crawling bugs also stay out. They said they got it from Academy so I plan to look around a bit.
I do have the side mesh pieces that drop from the awnings and they are great for shade but not all that effective against bugs.. (probably because I do not have the end pieces and bugs can fly right thru!)

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Two views

Figured I would show you what I mean.
1) View from inside the screen room...
2) Awning screens deployed. (with no end caps)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kickin back with flamingo.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	162392   Click image for larger version

Name:	fully deployed.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	162393  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Recently purchased a screen room with rain fly & floor from LLBean & very happy with it. We used it at our volunteer site at Cape Hatteras & it withstood wind & heavy rain. The rain fly developed a small tear & LL Beans replaced it at no cost to us.
Victoria & Joseph
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all for the input. Will now have to decide which one is easiest to put up by one person
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We're about to get measured for the Zip Dee Tropical Screen room to expand our living area outside. We debated over the best way for investment over the long term. As much as we use the Airstream, with a decent rug and now screen room it would be worth it. The plan is to get it measured, ordered and by the time we get back in the vicinity of the dealer, installed.
With the humidity that we get after the rain fall with the heat being in the high 90 here in NC, the bugs are loving it, but its some love we don't want to share.
We'll keep you posted on the progress when we hopefully get this done over the next six weeks.

They are not cheap, but if we get five to ten years out of it, I'll be grateful when i bought it when it was "cheap", down the road.

Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We made our own screen room. We kind of copied the zipdee tropic room except that ours hangs from three eyehooks on the awning arms instead of snaps on the awning tube. It snaps to the airstream itself on the sides and along the skirt. It only takes about five minutes to jnstall and is a great addition. It cost less than a hundred bucks to make. We love it!