Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
An acquittance from church! I'd have to ask, is this their first visit?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #114
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
i will dissent.

Since my father (a contractor by trade) did the plumbing and electrical work on our trailer, and kindly allowed us to park it in his driveway for 9 months while working on it (we had no driveway at the time we lived in NJ) , and he helped with a variety of other items , effectively teaching us as we went along... We'll, i think he's earned the right to borrow it.

I will note that he did manage to mangle the lock, effectively locking himself out, requiring one broken (and immediately replaced) window the first time he did borrow it.... But i'll give him that one time.

Over the years he has done so much for us (including raising us as a single dad) that I would actually be honored to have the privilege of letting him break borrow anything of mine if he asked.

Everyone else can go buy their own damn airstream.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We were recently invited to dinner by some new friends, who, knowing of our interest in camping, told us hugely funny (in their view) tales of the times that they'd borrowed people's trailers and had all sorts of mishaps in them; broken awnings, lost equipment, that sort of thing. DW and I exchanged knowing glances - "These lovely people are not even looking at our Airstream" was our mutual thought!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Personally, I'd distinguish between lending it out for someone else to take on the road/ tow, and letting someone use it at a stationary location.

For example, someone mentioned the charity auction use case. Here, I've considered donating two nights at a camp site in nearby Prince William Forest to our school's silent auction. Importantly, I would tow the AS down there, set it up, meet them with instructions, then return two days later. I might consider the same for close friends and family if they asked. Although most of the time, we go with groups of families and our AS becomes the center of camp.

Lending it to someone to tow would be a tough sell, unless I knew them well personally and they were experienced towers of large loads (either a trailer or perhaps a boat). Even then, I'd need to carefully check the terms of my insurance, potential liabilities, etc.. Probably too many open questions.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
NO
Many of my buddies have Airstreams.
I would suggest anyone looking to take a trip w a trailer rent a rig from one of the RV rental places, they are set up to rent, we aren't.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Not going to happen. I will not be saying to myself I wish I didn't do that. For whatever reason. Family or not. Remain friends with all by simply saying I rather not, I think that covers it. No one will care for your baby as you will, so leave it.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My daughter, who now has an Avion, asked me what to do....Her friend is remodeling their house & wondered if she, her husband & two small children could live in the Avion while the remodel takes place. What are people thinking??? Good friends putting good friends on the spot STINKS! I told her to say she has camping trips planned for then & then quick make some reservations!!! Or just say she'd rather not! I really think people are nieve about OP's trailers--especially if they've never owned one.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If one wants to shift the reason for a "NO" answer to "Can I/We borrow your trailer?" to a third party that can not be questioned, just blame it on the insurance company and say you got a great rate by limiting the towing and use just to yourself and you are unwilling to change that restriction because of the expense of higher premiums and personal liability that would not be covered by that existing policy.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If one wants to shift the reason for a "NO" answer to "Can I/We borrow your trailer?" to a third party that can not be questioned, just blame it on the insurance company and say you got a great rate by limiting the towing and use just to yourself and you are unwilling to change that restriction because of the expense of higher premiums and personal liability that would not be covered by that existing policy.
Oh, come now...they will never know. Besides, we are really clean folks, my husband has gotten his wart breakouts under control and my 17 year old can now sleep thru most nights without wetting to bed. We've been friends forever and we would loan you ours if you asked. Blink, blink.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Do You Loan Out Your AS?
No!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #123
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
we are really clean folks, my husband has gotten his wart breakouts under control and my 17 year old can now sleep thru most nights without wetting to bed. We've been friends forever and we would loan you ours if you asked. Blink, blink.
He he he...

Our six dogs are fairly 'potty trained' now, the husbands' IBS is under control (for the most part) and we're just going for a quick trip to Mexico and back. Tijuana shouldn't be hard to navigate from what i've heard. I learn quickly and I'll be the only one driving it ( husbands 3rd DUI leaves him without license), so you'll be sure it's safe!

Our son (your GOD-SON, mind you!) Billy Joe Jr.'s wife will have to come along though, because she's due in 2 weeks and I promised to help with the home birth.... Wonder what state Billy Joe III will be born in!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
In the giving of the Christmas spirit and a holiday tradition as we watch a few of the camping classics sitting depressed due to the Airstream being winterized after a great season I guess I would have to reconsider on the possibility of lending an RV.

After thinking about this today, as it stumped me, I realized that I would be more than glad to lend them an "RV". "That there is an RV" Cousin Eddie, Christmas Vacation. You can have it as soon as Cousin Eddie, his wife and snot are done with it.

On the Airstream. Sorry NO.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
He he he...

Our six dogs are fairly 'potty trained' now, the husbands' IBS is under control (for the most part) and we're just going for a quick trip to Mexico and back. Tijuana shouldn't be hard to navigate from what i've heard. I learn quickly and I'll be the only one driving it ( husbands 3rd DUI leaves him without license), so you'll be sure it's safe!

Our son (your GOD-SON, mind you!) Billy Joe Jr.'s wife will have to come along though, because she's due in 2 weeks and I promised to help with the home birth.... Wonder what state Billy Joe III will be born in!
Love it!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
NO WAY. No more than I'd loan out or allow someone to "test ride" my motorcycle.