Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
...I've been trying to teach JAKI that we are a "Catch-and-Release" family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JAKI with TROUT.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	174923  

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Wouldn't ever think of it.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Who was it that said "Neither a borrower nor lender be"???
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #104

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Never! I thought about it for a charity auction but who knows what someone else will do to it!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer View Post
Who was it that said "Neither a borrower nor lender be"???
Hamlet?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
We have a saying in the vintage musical instrument world - "we're caretakers of our musical instruments". It seems to me it should be the same with our Airstreams. I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned about this.
I expect that both of my Airstreams will outlive me. I believe that I am the caretaker for them. I want to make sure that they will be properly cared for when I am gone. None of my kids want them or will take care of them properly. I guess I just need to live long enough and indoctrinate two of the grand kids.

My oldest son asked to borrow my Airstream to take out west with his daughter. I have decided that the only way that I will allow that is if I go with him to drive the TV and insure proper care of the Airstream. I know that he does not understand my attachment to it. How would I ever replace a 66 Tradewind that I have rebuilt to suit me (and my wife).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Gar nicht!
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Yes, I will loan you my Airstream, but first... you have to finish welding the frame, removing all of the old caulking, re-caulk every seam, install the black and gray water tanks, redo the plumbing, install the water heater, furnace, converter, etc., etc.,

I guess I won't have any takers!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Our daughter was in a serious horse accident in North Carolina last October. My wife and I went out and brought her back to Missouri.

We put her up in our AS in our backyard (I have a pad with lights, water and sewer hookups).

She has a cat. She was in the trailer until the middle of March.

There were a lot of issues living in the trailer that long, we packed the nooks and crannies with insulation, luckily pipes only froze a couple of time and since they were pex there was no damage only inconvenience.

She didn't like the shower (1978 31' Sovereign rear bath) so she used our back room bath.

Emptying the black water tank.... when traveling the black water tank contents slosh around and it is easy to dump at a dump station. when stationary that agitation doesn't occur and I'd get agitated!

Once she got into the Airstream frame of mind she didn't mind living in a silver tube or silver corridor-- the terms are interchangable in her mind.

She's in a house now and likes the room.

We have used the AS as a extra room for when my brothers came up for our Mom's services. My wife's brother and his wife stayed in it once when they came to visit their daughter who lives down the street from us.

So, only to family members, only when parked in the yard and I would never loan it out to anyone for a trip.

And I think that it would be pretty 'nervie' for someone to even ask.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I can't imagine any circumstance where I would loan out the Flying Cloud. I suppose a dire family emergency would qualify. Aside from that, no.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Any of my children (5) will be allowed to borrow mine. I raised them right, and they understand my personal sacrifices, work and attachment to the trailer. If I thought they would push me down the stairwell while seated in my wheelchair when I get old...well, all bets are off, and no trip for them. Fortunately, they won't and id like them to be infected with aluminitis as I have been.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #112

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are people to whom I'd loan my trailer. They are a subset of the union of people I'd have as guests in my home and people who are experienced Airstreamers, which is a rather small set.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
An acquittance from church! I'd have to ask, is this their first visit?
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i will dissent.

Since my father (a contractor by trade) did the plumbing and electrical work on our trailer, and kindly allowed us to park it in his driveway for 9 months while working on it (we had no driveway at the time we lived in NJ) , and he helped with a variety of other items , effectively teaching us as we went along... We'll, i think he's earned the right to borrow it.

I will note that he did manage to mangle the lock, effectively locking himself out, requiring one broken (and immediately replaced) window the first time he did borrow it.... But i'll give him that one time.

Over the years he has done so much for us (including raising us as a single dad) that I would actually be honored to have the privilege of letting him break borrow anything of mine if he asked.

Everyone else can go buy their own damn airstream.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We were recently invited to dinner by some new friends, who, knowing of our interest in camping, told us hugely funny (in their view) tales of the times that they'd borrowed people's trailers and had all sorts of mishaps in them; broken awnings, lost equipment, that sort of thing. DW and I exchanged knowing glances - "These lovely people are not even looking at our Airstream" was our mutual thought!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Personally, I'd distinguish between lending it out for someone else to take on the road/ tow, and letting someone use it at a stationary location.

For example, someone mentioned the charity auction use case. Here, I've considered donating two nights at a camp site in nearby Prince William Forest to our school's silent auction. Importantly, I would tow the AS down there, set it up, meet them with instructions, then return two days later. I might consider the same for close friends and family if they asked. Although most of the time, we go with groups of families and our AS becomes the center of camp.

Lending it to someone to tow would be a tough sell, unless I knew them well personally and they were experienced towers of large loads (either a trailer or perhaps a boat). Even then, I'd need to carefully check the terms of my insurance, potential liabilities, etc.. Probably too many open questions.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
NO
Many of my buddies have Airstreams.
I would suggest anyone looking to take a trip w a trailer rent a rig from one of the RV rental places, they are set up to rent, we aren't.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Not going to happen. I will not be saying to myself I wish I didn't do that. For whatever reason. Family or not. Remain friends with all by simply saying I rather not, I think that covers it. No one will care for your baby as you will, so leave it.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My daughter, who now has an Avion, asked me what to do....Her friend is remodeling their house & wondered if she, her husband & two small children could live in the Avion while the remodel takes place. What are people thinking??? Good friends putting good friends on the spot STINKS! I told her to say she has camping trips planned for then & then quick make some reservations!!! Or just say she'd rather not! I really think people are nieve about OP's trailers--especially if they've never owned one.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If one wants to shift the reason for a "NO" answer to "Can I/We borrow your trailer?" to a third party that can not be questioned, just blame it on the insurance company and say you got a great rate by limiting the towing and use just to yourself and you are unwilling to change that restriction because of the expense of higher premiums and personal liability that would not be covered by that existing policy.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote