Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #281
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
That's like going to my next door neighbor and ask him could I borrow your brand new Porsche 911 carrera since my uncle is coming on vacation and he's going to drive my truck for 15 days ?????? Huh??? Really !!!!! Lol

Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #282
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Ixnay, onay, evernay- family knows better; friends would never consider such a question; "acquaintance", well that's just laughable

Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #283
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
Most insurance companies only cover those listed on the policy to tow...Even Auto Insurance has the same rules apply.

My Mother borrowed our van years ago, backed into another car and guess who was responsible for the damages...we were, because we lent out our vehicle to a un insured operator to the policy

If there is a accident on the road, who knows what kind of nightmare you will be entering.

A quick "Sorry, no, because it is only insured for the owner to tow" should take care of it pretty quick.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #284
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I once had a pickup truck that wasn't anything special - just an extra vehicle when I needed one. I loaned it out from time to time to friends who were truly in need/in a bind. Borrower #1 kept it for 1 week and brought it back full of trash. Borrower #2 kept it for 1 month and brought it back smelling like an ash tray and needing an oil change. Borrower #3 kept it for 6 weeks and brought it back needing an oil change and missing the "Ford" emblem on the tailgate. Borrower #4 borrowed it for 3 hours and brought it back with a giant gash/scratch down the side. None of them claimed responsibility for any of it. They actually claimed ignorance to where the trash came from, who smoked in it, where the Ford emblem went, and how the scratch got on the side. They all reasoned that "since they didn't know what happened, then it wasn't their responsibility to fix." None of them ever even filled the gas tank before they brought it back.

That was just an old truck that I didn't really care about. The AS is a LOT more finicky to set up/take down, tow, etc. And the damage caused by an error could be far more expensive to fix than a missing Ford logo. So NO to borrowing the AS.

When people ask to borrow money, I tell them all the same thing. "I'll loan you the money, but experience has taught me that we won't be friends after this. Either I'll get mad because you haven't paid me back, or you'll get mad because I ask for it back. That's how it always goes. Now, do you still want the loan?" If they say yes, and if I'm feeling particularly generous that day, then I loan them money and silently lament impending loss of another friendship.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
I once had a pickup truck that wasn't anything special - just an extra vehicle when I needed one. I loaned it out from time to time to friends who were truly in need/in a bind. Borrower #1 kept it for 1 week and brought it back full of trash. Borrower #2 kept it for 1 month and brought it back smelling like an ash tray and needing an oil change. Borrower #3 kept it for 6 weeks and brought it back needing an oil change and missing the "Ford" emblem on the tailgate. Borrower #4 borrowed it for 3 hours and brought it back with a giant gash/scratch down the side. None of them claimed responsibility for any of it. They actually claimed ignorance to where the trash came from, who smoked in it, where the Ford emblem went, and how the scratch got on the side. They all reasoned that "since they didn't know what happened, then it wasn't their responsibility to fix." None of them ever even filled the gas tank before they brought it back.

That was just an old truck that I didn't really care about. The AS is a LOT more finicky to set up/take down, tow, etc. And the damage caused by an error could be far more expensive to fix than a missing Ford logo. So NO to borrowing the AS.

When people ask to borrow money, I tell them all the same thing. "I'll loan you the money, but experience has taught me that we won't be friends after this. Either I'll get mad because you haven't paid me back, or you'll get mad because I ask for it back. That's how it always goes. Now, do you still want the loan?" If they say yes, and if I'm feeling particularly generous that day, then I loan them money and silently lament impending loss of another friendship.
Well stated!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good fences make good neighbors . . .

"No"