Old 04-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #239
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There is a old saying I do not loan any thing but every thing is for sale except for wife you can have her... I will be in trouble when she finds out this old saying, but she does not read forums. Bill

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
My daughter actually asked to borrow it one time. I asked if she had an electric brake controller on her truck.

"A what?"

It's not just knowing how to tow it and set it up; it's knowing the absolute best way to fix it when it breaks. Someone would have to be a journeyman millwright, electrician, big rig driver, and RV mechanic for me to even consider it.

"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #241
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Loaned the 2006' 25' Safari to my son & daughter in law for a weekend in Texas 5 years ago; came back with nice dent in rear corner, backing in next to a house...didn't see the tree branch. Then last year with the 2008 25' Safari, my son and some friends wanted to j"ust sleep" in it, next to our cabin in got cold at night and after some beers son tried to close the side window above the lounge; it broke from slamming too hard to close so he could secure the latches ($250 new window + $250 shipping to MT) Recently had a friend ask if he could us our 2014' 25' FC with his "friends" F250; wife immediately mentioned hitch height would not match our F150, no tow break on his F250, and insurance would not cover, so she said, sorry but "nope; nada; NFW"!! and that was that!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
As the "aliens" on Sesame Street would say,"NOPE NOPE NOPE".
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #243
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
People are so rude and assuming.
Tell them, If they put a $50,000.00 deposit for damage and pay $3,000.00 for professional cleaning after..LOL
Other people's dirt freaks me out.
mrsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #244
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Only to my brother, trust him more
than enough, and if he totaled it, it would bother me less than if I did it myself. I would let family camp in it as long as they weren't moving it.
Anybody else NO.
HiJoeSilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #245
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Do You Loan Out Your AS?

In the times those of us who are older grew up in, society was much more structured, We were connected to each other in ways that would have made it difficult to answer a question with a simple "no." Boy did we ever set ourselves up for the legions of telemarketers and other people who feel like if they just ask enough people enough times, they will eventually get a "yes." I still find myself answering a telemarketer who interrupts my dinner with a "Thank you but I'm not interested." Why should I thank someone who interrupts my dinner uninvited? I suppose if someone who has just saved your child from a hungry bear asks to borrow your Airstream, you might owe him an explanation. But your brother-in-law who you never liked that well to start with? We all have to start realizing that people these days ask for whatever they want without worrying about whether they have any standing to ask for it or not. A simple "no" will suffice. It's sort of a shock the first time you do it, but boy does it get the message across. And if it doesn't, then "what part of 'no' is it that you don't understand?" helps to clarify the message.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bingo. Exactly my thoughts put into clearer words.

Every day I'm forced to add to the ignore list in my phone...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #247
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
Got that dreaded call yesterday from my favorite brother in law, it broke my heart to tell him NO.

I think all Airsteam owners need to practice this look when the questions is being asked, your answer will be obvious.

I hope there are no heard feelings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faceborrow3.png
Views:	18
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	264475  
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #248
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
lOAN Trailer

I had a friend actually say you probably would't consider renting your trailer out would you? I said these days there is places that rent them out and have insurance to cover issue's. He took it well and he understood. He rented a SOB and after his trip he bought a 38' motorhome. We're both happy. As to family they understand that when I give something a name they understand how much it means to me. The question never comes up.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #249
Site Team
, Minnesota
I guess I would loan my brother-in-law my 1959 Tradewind.

If he leaves a tricked-out 2015 Classic as security.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
My daughter, who is actually quite handy, has asked me twice. My question in response is, "Do you have a tow vehicle with a brake controller?"
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #251
3 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Can I borrow your Airstream?

If we owned a clean-cut beauty, I'd say no. However, our Airstream has had a "past life". We bought her and cleaned her up with the plan of sharing her adventures with our four children.
We have two sons in the Military. Our plan is that we travel, with our AS, to their locations, visit, then fly home leaving our AS with them. This way, they get a chance to go out camping with their young families. They would travel to our home, then fly to their homes when done.
There are a couple nieces / nephews that may also fit into this catagory. They are all aware of the energy we put into rescuing our AS. We are farmers, all are used to hauling trailers with pickups.

duncans is offline   Reply With Quote