Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #281
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
That's like going to my next door neighbor and ask him could I borrow your brand new Porsche 911 carrera since my uncle is coming on vacation and he's going to drive my truck for 15 days ?????? Huh??? Really !!!!! Lol
cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #282
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Ixnay, onay, evernay- family knows better; friends would never consider such a question; "acquaintance", well that's just laughable
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #283
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
Most insurance companies only cover those listed on the policy to tow...Even Auto Insurance has the same rules apply.

My Mother borrowed our van years ago, backed into another car and guess who was responsible for the damages...we were, because we lent out our vehicle to a un insured operator to the policy

If there is a accident on the road, who knows what kind of nightmare you will be entering.

A quick "Sorry, no, because it is only insured for the owner to tow" should take care of it pretty quick.
mrsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #284
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I once had a pickup truck that wasn't anything special - just an extra vehicle when I needed one. I loaned it out from time to time to friends who were truly in need/in a bind. Borrower #1 kept it for 1 week and brought it back full of trash. Borrower #2 kept it for 1 month and brought it back smelling like an ash tray and needing an oil change. Borrower #3 kept it for 6 weeks and brought it back needing an oil change and missing the "Ford" emblem on the tailgate. Borrower #4 borrowed it for 3 hours and brought it back with a giant gash/scratch down the side. None of them claimed responsibility for any of it. They actually claimed ignorance to where the trash came from, who smoked in it, where the Ford emblem went, and how the scratch got on the side. They all reasoned that "since they didn't know what happened, then it wasn't their responsibility to fix." None of them ever even filled the gas tank before they brought it back.

That was just an old truck that I didn't really care about. The AS is a LOT more finicky to set up/take down, tow, etc. And the damage caused by an error could be far more expensive to fix than a missing Ford logo. So NO to borrowing the AS.

When people ask to borrow money, I tell them all the same thing. "I'll loan you the money, but experience has taught me that we won't be friends after this. Either I'll get mad because you haven't paid me back, or you'll get mad because I ask for it back. That's how it always goes. Now, do you still want the loan?" If they say yes, and if I'm feeling particularly generous that day, then I loan them money and silently lament impending loss of another friendship.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
I once had a pickup truck that wasn't anything special - just an extra vehicle when I needed one. I loaned it out from time to time to friends who were truly in need/in a bind. Borrower #1 kept it for 1 week and brought it back full of trash. Borrower #2 kept it for 1 month and brought it back smelling like an ash tray and needing an oil change. Borrower #3 kept it for 6 weeks and brought it back needing an oil change and missing the "Ford" emblem on the tailgate. Borrower #4 borrowed it for 3 hours and brought it back with a giant gash/scratch down the side. None of them claimed responsibility for any of it. They actually claimed ignorance to where the trash came from, who smoked in it, where the Ford emblem went, and how the scratch got on the side. They all reasoned that "since they didn't know what happened, then it wasn't their responsibility to fix." None of them ever even filled the gas tank before they brought it back.

That was just an old truck that I didn't really care about. The AS is a LOT more finicky to set up/take down, tow, etc. And the damage caused by an error could be far more expensive to fix than a missing Ford logo. So NO to borrowing the AS.

When people ask to borrow money, I tell them all the same thing. "I'll loan you the money, but experience has taught me that we won't be friends after this. Either I'll get mad because you haven't paid me back, or you'll get mad because I ask for it back. That's how it always goes. Now, do you still want the loan?" If they say yes, and if I'm feeling particularly generous that day, then I loan them money and silently lament impending loss of another friendship.
Well stated!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good fences make good neighbors . . .

"No"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #287
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post

I have a picture framed list of people that I have loaned to, mounted on my closet door. Over the last 30yrs, I've loaned over 100k to 32 people. I don't even want to calculate the inflation factor. 100% of friends will not pay you back. 75% of family the same. Facebook is a great way to see how friends and family plan to pay you back... they don't. You'll soon realize a beach trip, ski vacation in the Sierra's, a 7 day cruise, is more important than paying a loan back. So the next time anyone ask me for money, I show them my picture and say ''I don't want you on this list. These people are all dead to me''. I have two brothers and nephew on this list. It's ironic how friends and family never call you after you helped them out of a bad jamb...ie. car repos, avoid house auction due to back taxes, behind on rent, to start a business that flourishes, fix house up to sell for top dollar etc etc. So they do have a guilty conscious not to return my calls. You don't want my friends and family borrowing a Airstream or anything. A rant ? maybe... but a hard reality. I didn't work 340 days a year for 35 years just to give it away. I hope you can learn from my mistakes.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That's a very powerful story. Sad, but powerful!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #289
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I can't imagine a scenario where I'd loan out anything I cared a lot about.
I do loan out my weedwhacker, miter saw, chain saw, but that's about it. (Oh, and I usually have to ask for them back when I need them.)

I have loaned money, and I've never been repaid. But that makes it easier to say "No!"

A co-worker on mine had a policy on his tools. He loaned a tool if the borrower gave him their billfold to hold. If they didn't, he figured they didn't need the tool that bad.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #290
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
That's a very powerful story. Sad, but powerful!
Sorry about that. All the examples used are from family experience. Sad but true. On a lighter subject. I do buy meals anonymously for Police officers, Firefighters, and especially military personnel. It's my way of thanking them for their service. Giving gifts to needy children at Christmas is a favorite. I don't keep track of this because it comes from the heart. I'm sure it's over 100k in 30 yrs. Next time you see a military person on a date with a young girl, ask your waitress for their bill. It's good for everyone's soul that's involved. I do this instead of loaning out things...very rewarding..... And to keep from hijacking this thread, if I borrowed a Airstream...it would be returned after I finished detailing the inside and waxing the outside. I know...I'm weird.... But it's a respect thing.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #291
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I can point to a different experience. Have helped a good friend out several times when circumstances worked against him. Have loaned money and vehicles to him at several points. He has never failed to pay back loans or return vehicles when he was back on his feet. We are still good friends. Sometimes is a matter of luck. Relatives, however, are a different story, sadly.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #292
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
Check out the prices on here to rent one with a tow vehicle(Tahoe) Even if you deducted the cost of the tow vehicle...it would still be about $700.00 a day. Thought provoking...for a big...No. https://www.airstream2go.com
mrsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #293
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmup View Post
Check out the prices on here to rent one with a tow vehicle(Tahoe) Even if you deducted the cost of the tow vehicle...it would still be about $700.00 a day. Thought provoking...for a big...No. https://www.airstream2go.com
Those are some hefty prices.....I wonder how many they actually rent at those prices. I've seen some for a lot less with and without a TV.
ITSNO60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #294
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
There's an Airstream and tow vehicle rental service in our area...prices not too bad.

http://www.letsgosilver.com/fleet/

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #295
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Do You Loan Out Your AS?

If you're looking into more base camp-style Airstreaming...

https://autocamp.com/

We don't loan out our AS. We regard her as part of the family. That's why we named her. We don't loan her out like we don't loan out our children. Just saying[emoji4]Loaning yours is up to you.

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Sorry about that. All the examples used are from family experience. Sad but true. On a lighter subject. I do buy meals anonymously for Police officers, Firefighters, and especially military personnel. It's my way of thanking them for their service. Giving gifts to needy children at Christmas is a favorite. I don't keep track of this because it comes from the heart. I'm sure it's over 100k in 30 yrs. Next time you see a military person on a date with a young girl, ask your waitress for their bill. It's good for everyone's soul that's involved. I do this instead of loaning out things...very rewarding..... And to keep from hijacking this thread, if I borrowed a Airstream...it would be returned after I finished detailing the inside and waxing the outside. I know...I'm weird.... But it's a respect thing.

Nothing to be sorry about at all - the sad part wasn't aimed at you, but the fact that so few people are able (and/or willing?) to repay a loan. I've been burned too...

Wonderful charity opportunities - glad you do that.

And you are among the rare few who would return something in better shape than you got it. Good on you!

I'm still never lending mine out,
Grinchy
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #297
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2010 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Toano , Virginia
I've never had anyone ask to borrow our AS. I guess I've never encountered someone with enough audacity to ask.

NO would be my reply.
TinTikiHut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #298
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I have a picture framed list of people that I have loaned to, mounted on my closet door. Over the last 30yrs, I've loaned over 100k to 32 people. I don't even want to calculate the inflation factor. 100% of friends will not pay you back. 75% of family the same. Facebook is a great way to see how friends and family plan to pay you back... they don't. You'll soon realize a beach trip, ski vacation in the Sierra's, a 7 day cruise, is more important than paying a loan back. So the next time anyone ask me for money, I show them my picture and say ''I don't want you on this list. These people are all dead to me''. I have two brothers and nephew on this list. It's ironic how friends and family never call you after you helped them out of a bad jamb...ie. car repos, avoid house auction due to back taxes, behind on rent, to start a business that flourishes, fix house up to sell for top dollar etc etc. So they do have a guilty conscious not to return my calls. You don't want my friends and family borrowing a Airstream or anything. A rant ? maybe... but a hard reality. I didn't work 340 days a year for 35 years just to give it away. I hope you can learn from my mistakes.
Sorry to hear the " type" of friends and family you have in your life.....

I was in a pinch 3 years ago something unexpected in a real estate transaction.1 in a million odds, ( I sold my house, I moved,bought another place and at last second guy breached his contract)and was in a really tight spot called my best friend up I was 30 he was 29. He cut me a check for $20000. Friends should 100% pay a person back.
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #299
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I loaned out my 2006 25' Safari along with my 2008' Tahoe several years ago, to my son with his family. It came back with scratches and a small dent from a tree branch. Of course, what do you say to your son...hes off to his family, back to work, and you have the AS back with some slight damage...oh well??
I have been asked by both friends and family, few times since, to "borrow" and wife always says "no", as insurance will not cover someone else. That's it. We don't loan out our AS.

A close friend who allowed me to keep my AS at his property for couple years while we lived in CA, also asked to borrow. He had a friend with a 3/4 T Ram and they wanted to go to a car race for the weekend somewhere in Southern CA. I hated to say no, but the wife had no problem reminding me about our son's experience, the insurance, and the cost for unforeseen repairs to the body should something happen...

It's part family to many, but more importantly, it is not a "light weight" SOB that most anyone can hook up to and tow...it takes some vigilance and knowledge to tow an AS, and also awareness of the cost should something happen. I am more than happy to give advice on purchasing one, however!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #300
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
I am a 3rd generation AS owner. When my husband & I were very newly wed, I asked my dad if he would consider letting us use it on a camping trip at some point. My dad, being the MOST generous person EVER, instead of saying no simply started asking me technical questions about the AS. I grew up going on AS trips, but by this point, it had been maybe 10 years since my last trip in theirs. There was a lot I had forgotten! The conversation ended with him saying that in time, we’d have our own, etc.

Fast forward a few years & 4 kids later (the last 2 are twins, thus the baby boom), and who spent HOURS on the phone with me as I searched for an AS of my own, answering every question? Dad. Who went with me to pick up the one we finally bought? Dad. Ever since then he & Mom have taught us EVERYTHING and have gone with us on several trips, towing theirs alongside us.

So, last summer, we were in Florida visiting my in-laws (on a non-AS trip). My mom calls to tell me that they, my meticulous cousin, and her handy fixer-upper husband we’re going to take my parents AS on a trip for another cousins wedding. I immediately suggested they take ours—the sleeper sofa is bigger, we have a dinette, etc. I just thought they’d be more comfortable. At first, my parents balked at the idea—we can’t borrow yours! Plus, ours is great! (There’s is an older model 25’, ours is a newer 30’ with a slide.). I told them I was serious & to call me when they decided. They, and everyone else we know understand that my AS, the Monkey Barrel, is my 5th child. They called a couple days later to tell me they were going to use ours.

Did they return it in the same condition as it was before? NO. It was in BETTER condition. They found a few glitches and things that we had not noticed & fixed those (I offered to pay for parts, they refused). They also worked out some kinks from the previous owners that had been difficult for us to find permanent solutions for.

I’ve been reading some of the comments on this thread to my husband. He immediately said, “no! We’d never let anyone borrow ours!...Except your parents. They are the ONLY people, but I’ll be honest, I was even nervous when they borrowed it!”

LONG story short (sorry), only an AS owner knows how to care for an AS. And they’ll never ask to borrow. Apparently they have to be persuaded. [emoji6]
Slide Out Society #72

Exploring the country in our beloved Monkey Barrel
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote