Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #241
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Loaned the 2006' 25' Safari to my son & daughter in law for a weekend in Texas 5 years ago; came back with nice dent in rear corner, backing in next to a house...didn't see the tree branch. Then last year with the 2008 25' Safari, my son and some friends wanted to j"ust sleep" in it, next to our cabin in MT...it got cold at night and after some beers son tried to close the side window above the lounge; it broke from slamming too hard to close so he could secure the latches ($250 new window + $250 shipping to MT) Recently had a friend ask if he could us our 2014' 25' FC with his "friends" F250; wife immediately mentioned hitch height would not match our F150, no tow break on his F250, and insurance would not cover, so she said, sorry but "nope; nada; NFW"!! and that was that!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
As the "aliens" on Sesame Street would say,"NOPE NOPE NOPE".
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #243
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rochester , New Hampshire
People are so rude and assuming.
Tell them, If they put a $50,000.00 deposit for damage and pay $3,000.00 for professional cleaning after..LOL
Other people's dirt freaks me out.
mrsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Only to my brother, trust him more
than enough, and if he totaled it, it would bother me less than if I did it myself. I would let family camp in it as long as they weren't moving it.
Anybody else NO.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Do You Loan Out Your AS?

In the times those of us who are older grew up in, society was much more structured, We were connected to each other in ways that would have made it difficult to answer a question with a simple "no." Boy did we ever set ourselves up for the legions of telemarketers and other people who feel like if they just ask enough people enough times, they will eventually get a "yes." I still find myself answering a telemarketer who interrupts my dinner with a "Thank you but I'm not interested." Why should I thank someone who interrupts my dinner uninvited? I suppose if someone who has just saved your child from a hungry bear asks to borrow your Airstream, you might owe him an explanation. But your brother-in-law who you never liked that well to start with? We all have to start realizing that people these days ask for whatever they want without worrying about whether they have any standing to ask for it or not. A simple "no" will suffice. It's sort of a shock the first time you do it, but boy does it get the message across. And if it doesn't, then "what part of 'no' is it that you don't understand?" helps to clarify the message.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bingo. Exactly my thoughts put into clearer words.

Every day I'm forced to add to the ignore list in my phone...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #247
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
Got that dreaded call yesterday from my favorite brother in law, it broke my heart to tell him NO.

I think all Airsteam owners need to practice this look when the questions is being asked, your answer will be obvious.

I hope there are no heard feelings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faceborrow3.png
Views:	99
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	264475  
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #248
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
lOAN Trailer

I had a friend actually say you probably would't consider renting your trailer out would you? I said these days there is places that rent them out and have insurance to cover issue's. He took it well and he understood. He rented a SOB and after his trip he bought a 38' motorhome. We're both happy. As to family they understand that when I give something a name they understand how much it means to me. The question never comes up.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #249
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I guess I would loan my brother-in-law my 1959 Tradewind.

If he leaves a tricked-out 2015 Classic as security.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
My daughter, who is actually quite handy, has asked me twice. My question in response is, "Do you have a tow vehicle with a brake controller?"
Old 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #251
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Can I borrow your Airstream?

If we owned a clean-cut beauty, I'd say no. However, our Airstream has had a "past life". We bought her and cleaned her up with the plan of sharing her adventures with our four children.
We have two sons in the Military. Our plan is that we travel, with our AS, to their locations, visit, then fly home leaving our AS with them. This way, they get a chance to go out camping with their young families. They would travel to our home, then fly to their homes when done.
There are a couple nieces / nephews that may also fit into this catagory. They are all aware of the energy we put into rescuing our AS. We are farmers, all are used to hauling trailers with pickups.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #252
'Stream

2003 22' International
CAMARILLO , California
Allow your family or friends to use AS?

I said yes to a friend's request to use my 2003 AS for a couple of days at a full hook up site 150 miles round trip. They'll use my tow vehicle. Good idea or not?

2003 International AS 22'
MyParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...-as-99250.html

LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Unhappy Danger, Will Robinson!!!

LiLNomad has linked the exact thread I'm about to summarize...please read the whole thread to get a sense of the reality of loaning a precious aluminum trailer...

There are some fascinating threads in this forum that discuss the heated issue of loaning Airstream Trailers to 'friends' and other family members.

To summarize: Responses ranged from "it depends" to "not only NO, but HELL NO."

Ask yourself this question: If your friend totals the AS and the vehicle, are you sure they would be responsible and 'make you whole' again...by replacing all your stuff? Once you can answer that question, then let that answer be your guide.

For our family Airstream, there are exactly two parts of the family that are allowed to use it: My youngest son and his family, who is the one that originally bought it, would put FULL insurance on the whole setup on his dime, and who knows how to properly tow and live in the AS. I get to use it since I own it, fully insure it, and also know how to use it properly.

The rest of the family and any so-called 'friends', HELL NO!

They really don't know what they are doing, and their kids and dogs are not likely to respect the setup enough. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the beast, AS's are precious, and every scuff and dent hurts the heart of the owner. Best not to have the angst of damage by a well-meaning friend or other family member that has no skin in the game... That's my personal opinion, and I'm sticking to it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Also..from my understanding Progressive (and probably other companies) will only cover those that are listed on the insurance policy. If someone has the funds to replace your trailer then they certainly have the funds to rent one of their own. There are also several companies that rent trailers..they deliver to the campground, set up the trailer for you & pick it up when you check out of the campground. You just show up with your clothes, towels and food. I have used Kern Vacation Rentals several times for this type of service for friends that wanted to camp along with me but didnt have their own equipment. You can always inquire at the campground which company they recommend for trailer rentals for that particular area.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Presume they have towed before and are generally familiar with RV's?

I have to admit I would be more than a bit reluctant - apart from embarrassment (and possible argument regarding reimbursement maybe leading to lost friends should something go wrong, I'd be concerned about them maybe having problems with things and would be worrying the whole time they were away with it!

Mine is close to the same age as yours, and very often on trips I find I need to tinker with at least one appliance ( AC / HW heater etc.) to get it going. Usually turns out to be just a bad connection, but I've been doing it long enough that I know most of the little quirks, I'm afraid friends and relations would not!

Good luck anyway!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #257
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The life saying "Only gamble with money you can afford to loose" also applies in this case; "only lend RV's to anyone that you can afford to loose".

As a PO stated, check with your insurance company that the truck and trailer would be covered if you let someone else drive it. It maybe your way out of a pickle.

FYI I have in the past, and will do in the future, let someone else use my 310, BUT it doesn't move from where I place it for them; and no kids.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #258
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Nope!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #259
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I don't even like it when my partner tows it somewhere without me - usually when we arrive or depart separately on a trip.

However, we have considered using it as a "guesthouse" of sorts for visiting family. We have an RV park less than a mile away from where we live and would be willing to host responsible family members. We would set it all up and they'd just sleep there.

I can't imagine I'd ever be comfortable with someone else towing it or driving my truck to tow it.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #260

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
My take on lending anything to anybody for use is:

Lend it if you're willing to accept that it:

A) May be returned damaged.

B) May not be returned at all.

Granted an RV will probably be returned but I've lost many small items because of a loan of use. Usually I lend something to someone then forget who I loaned it to. I have had some big items return with damage, such as utility trailers with damaged fenders, stab jack, or a garden tiller with stripped gears.

The risk of generosity is up to the grantor.

As for us...

No RV loans, no exceptions.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote