Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Directv

My wife, Cris, and I are brand new Aluminites. Are there any ways to get Directv while on the road?
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One way is to stream it over a cellular connection.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Automatic satellite dishes are available for both Direct TV and Dish that cn be mounted on the roof or set up on the ground. You will also need a receiver to match the dish. There are also units which cost more but can be used when the unit is in motion. You need a clear shot at the southern sky which is why I prefer a movable dish. If you go to Camping World website you can see some of the options.

You can also use a standard satellite dish on a tripod and aim the dish yourself which takes some time and practice.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
As the other uncle said, stream it to a device connected to your television.

We use the app downloaded to our Apple TV.

https://www.directvnow.com

Hope to test this over Airstream Connect soon....
Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Streaming works great if you have a good data plan and service. Currently the DirecTV broadcasts require a larger dish that points in three axes to get HD. Dish Network dishes get HD but only point in two axes and sometimes have to move when you change channels. If you have two receivers the "slave" can only get whatever is on the satellite that the "master" receiver has pointed the dish at, but the less complex pointing means the automatic Dish Network antennas are substantially less expensive than the automatic DirecTV antennas.

I have been able to point a DirecTV dish using only the signal level indicators on the receiver. I point using the 101 satellite first and then fine tune the pointing with the 99 satellite. The inexpensive pointing meters will not work with the new SWM feeds.

Another advantage of Dish is you can turn the service on and off on a monthly basis. The last time I checked DirecTV can only be turned on and off once per 6 months. It has been said that you can take a receiver (not a Genie Client) from home and use it on the trailer.

The DirecTV automatic HD dishes (Trav'lers) are substantially more expensive than the comparable Dish Network dishes. While there are still SD dishes for DirecTV I understand that service is being discontinued in the near future.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The only way Directv works well would be if you have a good data plan. But that’s a lot of data, and most of the time unlimited data plans slow way down after 15 GB of use. And that goes fast.

Att will allow you to use unlimited data at top speed if you stream it on your phone or something like an IPAD. But you can’t hook up your phone to your TV and make it work. I have tried .

If you are out on the road a great deal I think Dish is your best bet.

If you are going to have limited use a data plan is cheaper using the Directv with Roku, Apple TV or similar devise.

Actually we use our roku to watch Netflix, Prime, and other channels. Seldom find the need for Directv. And if I absolutely have to I will use my IPHONE to watch directv. Of course if you are in a remote area with cruddy service that could be problem. And if you have marginal cell reception you will want to get a Weboost or something similar.

The advantage of the weboost is you can actually use your phone as a hotspot and connect computers to get on the internet.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
It’s free to stream DIRECTV NOW over your mobile phone or hot spot if you are an AT&T wireless customer. It doesn’t count towards your data usage. Stream away...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
It’s free to stream DIRECTV NOW over your mobile phone or hot spot if you are an AT&T wireless customer. It doesn’t count towards your data usage. Stream away...
You just can’t stream it on your TV. The app won’t allow it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I stream horrendous amounts of data over an AT&T modem. I rarely (if ever) get throttled due to data use.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
The only way Directv works well would be if you have a good data plan. But that’s a lot of data, and most of the time unlimited data plans slow way down after 15 GB of use. And that goes fast.

Att will allow you to use unlimited data at top speed if you stream it on your phone or something like an IPAD. But you can’t hook up your phone to your TV and make it work. I have tried .
I have streamed directnow by using the iPhone as a hotspot for the Apple TV - works great - as long as you have the data.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Does streaming video require a good wifi signal?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've been with Dish at home for a very long time 20+ years. I bought a Dish Tailgater unit over 5 years ago and find that it performs very well for me. Since I'm a home subscriber I can get the same service on the road as I do at home (locals are a different issue). I get full HD service and do not need to move the Tailgater dish unless there are issues regarding getting a good view of the southern sky. The Tailgater in conjunction with the proper Dish receiver will aim and align itself upon its initial power up at your destination. I chose the Tailgater due the ability to move it away from the trailer and position it on my site to get a clear view of the southern sky. When you mount to the roof of the trailer or motorhome, you are limited by the parking spot and its view of the southern sky.

I have entertained switching to Direct with a similar device. The problem is that as noted by others, Direct HD is found on a different satellite which requires an alignment that the similar units cannot provide. I meet the Direct marketing people all the time at Sams Club, Costco, Menards etc. I tell them that finding affordable portable self aligning satellite dish units that accommodate Direct HD are not there. What's interesting when I tell those marking people this fact, they tell me that I'm wrong. So I ask them provide me the unit, the model number of the dish, and it's price. And every time I show that the model they show me says SD, not HD. And when they find one that is truly self aiming and portable, It's a minimum of double the price of a comparable Dish unit or its a marine unit which may be 10 times more expensive.

So if you go with a Direct compatible self aiming truly portable unit that you can set down on your camping site, before you buy and if HD is important to you, verify that the unit you are buying is truly HD compatible. Don't depend upon the sales person. They haven't read the fine print disclaimers on the units.

The latest offering from Dish now has been upgraded to receive channels from the eastern arc Dish satellites or the western arc Dish satellites with the use of the Wally receiver. My Tailgater unit is older so it will only receive western arc signals. That in itself in not a problem for me since the western arc dish satellites serve my travel needs just fine. The western arc service however may be problematic for those who travel up in the northeastern side of the US.

As far as streaming goes, I don't have a great data plan although I do carry a Verizon WiFi hotspot and my phone uses AT&T/TMobile towers. That gives me reliable service for phone purposes no matter where I go. My cell phone has an app that uses a WiFi app connected to my Verizon hot spot that can access my home phone's Internet provider. So I can always call out.

I chose a portable satellite dish from Dish Networks not only to replicate my service at home, but the fact that I only am charged for the service when I'm using it. So when I activate my portable receiver and dish, it is billed at the monthly rate of $7. It's prorated on a daily basis, so I activate it prior to departing and deactivate when I get home. With a 2 week trip it costs $3.50.
Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Directv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
You just can’t stream it on your TV. The app won’t allow it.

DIRECTV NOW supports apple airplay and is also built into Samsung smart TVs. I believe you may be confusing with the DIRECTV app for satellite customers. 2 different services....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote