Old 07-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
The Villages , Florida
We took our 27' FB Flying Cloud cushions to an upholstery shop and had the foam changed to a 50 lb. high density. It solved our back ache problem.

hacienda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member
2003 22' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Took my dinette out and replaced it with a sofa. Chech out for a how-to video.

jasfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Monticello , Arkansas
Timely thread. I'm am in the process of remodeling my '83 31' Excella II. Working now on the front part of the trailer where there was a classic couch and drop down table now all removed. Planning to put in a booth type dinette but apparently it won't be very comfortable. The recliners would be nice but am trying to build sleeping space for kids n g'kids or even big people. I have gotten some strange looks as I measure booths in the different eateries we haunt. Seems like having kick space below is important. Room for the butt to slide back with some lumbar support and a table top wider than the space between sitting boxes. The padding on the most comfortable booths wouldn't lend themselves to laying out flat for bedtime. As with most things, if it's multi purpose it usually doesn't do either really well.
Unclebill53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Main problem I have with the dinette is the 90degree seat/back angle.

Rolled a blanket and ran it along and behind the seat back. Much better.

We spend so much time off road I fear recliners would be falling over or moving into other parts and damaging them.

Hi, this is the main problem; The seat backs are straight up instead of the more comfortable 12 degrees angle needed. All seating in my trailer is angled.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I didn't read all the previous posts and maybe this has already been suggested, but I have back problems and find the dinette seats in our Classic 31 uncomfortable - the simple solution that works for me is to use one of the throw cushions fro our sofa behind my back when we are using the dinette. Granted it is not a very sophisticated solution, but it is cheap and solves the problem for me! Maybe it might work for you at least as a temporary solution if you would prefer later to modify the dinette.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Monticello , Arkansas
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this is the main problem; The seat backs are straight up instead of the more comfortable 12 degrees angle needed. All seating in my trailer is angled.
Thank you. 12' for the angle of the seat back. What about the angle of the seat itself. When I look at chairs they are seldom flat. I stumbled across plans for sliding seats that both seat and back were angled when sitting, then the seat back would lay back and the seat moved forward all hinging at the back of the seat back of back rest. Seemed like a complicated design at the time especially for this KISS guy. It might address some of the issues I've read about.
Unclebill53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Too bad Airstream stopped offering the option of a freestanding dining table and chairs that was available in the classic for I think 2013 and 2014 only. You could move it out of the way, or use it like a real table. For purposes of computer work, you could replace the wooden chairs that came with it with an office chair. It seems like a much more practical approach to me. Has anyone just removed the dinette? We have a 2004 28 foot classic that didn't have a dinette to begin with and we don't miss it at all. The flip up tables in front of the couch work well and the dinette seems like an uncomfortable space hog that is only justified if you need it to convert to a bed. Instead of the dinette, ours came with more storage and counter space, which we would miss were it gone.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I took a dinette cushion to a foam guy and he said the OEM foam was pretty good quality—that surprised me, because it feels like concrete to me, except concrete is more comfortable. Since Barb's cushion doesn't bother her, we're just getting one re-foamed. It will have a softer foam on the bottom and top—similar to memory foam—and a higher density core. The guy said that is the way furniture companies are doing it now. Foam, made of oil, is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but this is not something either of us wanted to take on with all our other projects.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote