Old 07-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Hey, this is a great post. I've always felt like I was doing this alone but it seams I've got a lot of company.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Believe me you are not alone. As we learn more about diabetes, and let our condition known, we are amazed at the number of people who also haveor know someone with this disease.
I love to cook, bake and eat, so this is a battle for me. I have a large collection of cookbooks, but have refocused these to Cooking Light, Diabetes Cookbooks, Weight Watchers and Low Carb cookbooks.
I like to try new things so I am making a new priority to plan menus around these books. We are making progress on this new "life style". But I am always looking for new ideas, hints and recipes.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sorry for straying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woppa 4 View Post
Off issue: Bob how do you keep the Silver Castle with such a brilliant shine. Mel

Hi, I only wash my trailer before and after trips; In between then, I hose it off randomly. I use Megiures car wash soap or any good brand car wash is OK with me. My trailer is outside all of the time. When washing my trailer I rinse it off very well before using a soft car wash mitt with the soap. [to prevent dirt scratches] I use an artificial chamois to dry off. I only wash it in the evening when cool and little or no direct sun light.

I never wax my trailer; Wax makes the water bead-up and holds the water and attracts dirt in the air to stick to the trailer. Without the wax, the water dissapates quickly. These two pictures were taken after it's last bath. Trailer is about five years old and never waxed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699 (Large).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	83802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702 (Large).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	83803  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I think it is probably a common practice to use "getting away" as the opportunity to deviate from the unwanted discipline of a diet and over-indulge - a "give yourself a break today" attitude - just for a while. Glucometre readings are fast evidence of the cost (at least with me).

In recent years we've consciously turned that mind-set around and now use "getting away" as a fresh opportunity to re-establish and emphasize the right habits - most particularly - eating and exercise (walking). Even in retirement we both lead busy lives and our theory is that if we can't do it on vacation then it is going to be pretty tough to do any other time. Now we have come to enjoy taking the leisure time of a vacation to prepare gourmet (healthy) foods and take a walk, or hike - or something - several times a day - and, as before - glucometre readings quickly show the dividends.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Ihave a dehydrator, but never thought about meals.Use it mostly for fruit and some vegggies. I would be interested in the site you referred to. Thanks, Susan
hi sempi2

i dehydrate any stew-type low fat meal that has either ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken in it. Brown the meat (extra lean) as you normally would and either dehydrate it with the sauce and veggies or separately. I find that veggies chopped finely dehydrate best.

if the sauce has a high-ish fat item, e.g. curry paste or oil, i just bring that separately and only dehydrate the other components.

I started dehydrating for our canoe-camping trips so I got a lot of my recipes from the Canadian Canoe Routes website. E.g. they have a special recipe section here (not all dehydrator recipes though):

Canadian Canoe Routes - Places

And you can also google search the forums for dehydrator recipes:

dehydrator site:www.myccr.com - Google Search

Part of the fun too is trying your own favourite recipes. I always test them out at home first, especially the rehydrating part. Have fun !!!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I think you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I think it is probably a common practice to use "getting away" as the opportunity to deviate from the unwanted discipline of a diet and over-indulge - a "give yourself a break today" attitude - just for a while. Glucometre readings are fast evidence of the cost (at least with me).

In recent years we've consciously turned that mind-set around and now use "getting away" as a fresh opportunity to re-establish and emphasize the right habits - most particularly - eating and exercise (walking). Even in retirement we both lead busy lives and our theory is that if we can't do it on vacation then it is going to be pretty tough to do any other time. Now we have come to enjoy taking the leisure time of a vacation to prepare gourmet (healthy) foods and take a walk, or hike - or something - several times a day - and, as before - glucometre readings quickly show the dividends.

Jay
I think that maybe why I am having a little trouble. It is easy to think of camp food as more junk food or not quite as healthy as you try to eat at home, because you are "getting away" from all the day to day pressures, stress and just relax and do nothing. Good thought, Susan
Old 07-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
I think you have to take a systemic, personal point of view. I eat fatty foods gleefully (not freely), give me a steak, I want butter. My cholesterol levels are fine.

Pasta, nope, Bread, neither. Rice, seldom, oatmeal can do. Test test test to know your body and get professional diet advice.

I only come to the internet for legal advice, never health...hehehe

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I'm type 1, insulin dependent for 28 years. On an insulin pump for 9 years now, which helps. But every single day is a challenge, and of course at age 59 some complications are beginning to show. BUT I have been extremely aggressive in my response to diabetes, which means exercise and eating right. Even when camping. I am VERY fortunate to have a wife that really understands the issues and always does her best to make sure I stay on track with meals and moderation in everything that could complicate this insidious disease.

The biggest problem when traveling?? Having to adjust to much shorter driving days, as I get tired much quicker than even a few short years ago. We've had to delay a couple of planned trips simply because I didn't feel alert enough to drive safely to and from where we might plan to go.

JD
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I do plan my meals and precook and then freeze. I pack the frozed food in a special cooler than holds the temp very well. Fresh ice dailyI just don't buy the bad stuff. Try to stay in my routine and actually exercise more. Rarely eat stuff that I have given up because it now makes me ill-like greasy brauts.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Get in the habit of stopping at grocery stores not restaurants. Shop the produce section and keep a cooler full of fresh fruit and veg. With the trailer it is easy to make your own meals. Keep a small cooler of fruit, celery sticks, baby carrots and ice cubes in the car. Ice cubes are very refreshing to munch on and no calories.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
These are great suggestions.

I would also like to recommend the book "The China Study" by Dr. Campbell. It changed the way I think about our diet. And our Airstream is a blessing in that I have a great kitchen to make the foods that are good for us. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Another thought-for the "covered dish" meals I always fix something that I can eat. That way I have no excuse. thats not to say I don't slip up, the temptations are great but it does help.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Menu planning

For health reasons, and convenience, we plan breakfast and dinner. Lunch may also in camp, but if we're out for the day, we try (I say try) to agree on something we can split. We also try to include sugar-free snacks (trail mix, veggies, etc.). I also bake a banana bread, using splenda in place of sugar, which makes a great dessert without much guilt (of course, portion control is important, too). Our typical breakfast can be oatmeal one day, and an egg dish the next; cold cereal if we want to get an early start. Dinners can be marinated chicken or beef (frozen before departure). Pre-prepared meals from home make it a lot easier than cooking from scratch. Eating out really adds expense to a trip, too.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We replace sugar with about 2/3 Splenda in banana bread, replace 3/4 of the fat with plain applesauce and half the flour with 100% whole wheat.

You don't notice the reduced fat, the wheat flour adds more texture plus lots of fiber and it all becomes a healthy, quick breakfast. You can use the same formula for any quick bread, such as pumpkin, date-nut, etc.

Maggie