Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Beaumont , Texas
CycloBuffer questions

I bought one of these handy guys at a swap meet on some of your recommendations. There are many attachments and buffers available.

My AS is very oxidized, light pitting.

Can anyone help in the progression of steps to bring the shine back up with the cyclo. Color pads, prep etc. I read about a sweatshirt bonnet. Also, what kind of polishes, cleaners, etc. will not hurt my progression.

thank you.
BrandonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
From my experience, a cyclo polisher alone won't do the job. I used a variable speed polisher with the gray and pink jeweler's rouge, then used the cyclo. Even when using Nuvite F7 with the cylo, it hardly has any effect on the oxidation. The two steps with the polisher (first pass to get rid of oxidation, second to reduce swirl marks from first pass) are the prep for using the cyclo, the primary purpose of which is to get rid of swirl marks from the polisher and secondarily to buff the metal.
Good luck with the polishing! You have a long and dirty road ahead!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Hi BrandonG
I agree with aluminitus. I'm in the middle of polishing our 1971 GT, and have found that the methods/tools/supplies recommended by Tom at PerfectPolish.com to be very effective. I don't think there is any way to make the process easy or quick, so hang in there!

Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You would want to powerwash it first then.
The first step is to strip off the clear coat. The gray roof has none, because it has worn off. The sides still will have clear coar remaining though. You won't be able to polish though it.
The second step would be to burish it with a cutting polish like Nuvite G6. It dosn't take a lot because your mostly using a dry pad. You want it to cut and leave swirl marks. Use a side grinder polisher. You can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freght.
The third step is a Nuvite C used with the Cyclo.
I have a half pound of Nuvite G6 with detailed instructions for sale in the Airforums adds. I also have a 5 gallon pail of RemoveAll striper for sale.
You can PM me if you like.
regards, Dave
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
You can learn everything you ever want to know about polishing your Airstream here. Materials, products, polishers, technique, the whole "ball of wax" as they say.
If you want a mirror shine, here's the place to get it.

Metal Polishing Equipment : Auto Detailing Supplies : Electric Car Polishers : Airplane Polish : Auto Polisher : Aluminum : Polishers and Buffers : PerfectPolish.com
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I polished ours with a Cyclo alone, and am happy with an "original finish" look. The customer support people at Cyclo were very helpful. They advised me to use the yellow wool pads, and they worked well. Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish from the local auto parts store is what I used.

The other polishing systems produce a marvelous finish, and I admire the owners who can do that much work. At my age, that was beyond my ability. Once over the trailer was enough.

The Cyclo did not leave any swirl marks that I had to remove later.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Look here too!
Polishing Advice
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Beaumont , Texas
Thanks guys. I will be hitting this up between my 38 ford project this winter. I work too much when it is pretty to get any playing done.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I was about to sell the girl off. I had 2 people stop by to get it in the course of the last month. I have not gotten anywhere on it in a long time. Never even spent a night in it. It has some leaks and needs to be sealed up, which I hear the body needs to be cleaned up first. So if I am going to go that far, I might as well polish it too.
BrandonG is offline   Reply With Quote