Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Then you can carry your poop around for days and days, even weeks.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
How about making something out of aluminum with rivets to match the trailer that can hold the blue boy?

Something with 3 sides and hinged at the bottom that folds down to provide access to the blue boy.

That way you don't have to make it leak proof and it will not show any fittings on the outside.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Hmmmmmmm, wow that's clever. Think rattle can paint will work? If so I happen to have a very large can of silver at the ready!
I used a rattle can or maybe two of them. It was long enough ago that I don't remember how much paint I needed.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #24
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Umm, do you drive a truck with the cap/canopy on the back, perchance? When we're concerned about a possible tank overflow (which we had happen once, blech) that's where we store our blue biffy box. Empty, of course. Lots of room for it, canoe paddles, extra picnic cooler, chairs, folding table, the generator, gas can, and the like in the back of the truck.

The main issue is to avoid over-filling the black water tank in the first place. If there's a restroom or pit toilet where we're camping, that's what we use except in the middle of the night. For extreme boondocking with nobody else around, you could probably take a shovel, dig out a pit, carry one of those camp toilet seats that sits on folding aluminum legs, and use that.

In primitive campground situations with a public trash receptacle, we have also lined the toilet seat in the AS with a heavy-duty trash bag or two, put in some garden peat moss (light, highly absorbent,) and after a couple of uses, deposited it in our household waste for the dumpster. This may sound questionable, but then soiled baby diapers get thrown out in the dumpster, also.

We have on rare occasions emptied out grey water into a bucket and tossed it in the bushes a long way from our campsite.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
How about this setup? Built-in holding tank for the toilet.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1492919675.991652.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	283906
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Of course, an alternative solution for non-biffy box camping in primitive camping situations where other people are around, is to go ahead and dig the latrine, and position your camp toilet seat over it, but then preserve your modesty with a packable "Portable Shower Changing Tent Camping Toilet Pop Up Room" like this one at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-...w-Bag/29532715

In case you've never had the pleasure of dealing with the original pit toilet, keep the dug-out dirt handy, with a small shovel or hand trowel, so that you can sprinkle it back on the hole after each use for aesthetics.

It appears that Cabela's is on to the problem if you decide on alternatives to the exterior-mount on your biffy box.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows..._SEQ_549495180
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5926.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	283957
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
It's a start
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The Blue Beast traveling Art Show by local Taggers

Longport, NJ? Are you near the ocean? You are one lucky fellow. Blue background would be perfect for your situation.

Locate an 'Art Studio' that TAGGERS hang out to learn the latest techniques. Offer them your 'Blue Wonder Airstream' as a Puree of Art Edition. The talented ones will be more than eager to take you up on the offer.

You may want to see some of their... 'work', of course. But if they, if more than one are interested, they can sign the Tag Work.

You no longer own the Blue Beast, but now have a traveling... Art Show for everyone to admire your genius. Not all Taggers are destitute... so you may even have offers to purchase your Blue Beast. Taggers have egos longer than your trailer, which seems to be missing on your original post.

They will use their own paint, of course. Tape the windows. Wash the surface well so that the Art adheres better. Find covers for the tires to avoid getting them painted, as well. But then again... if they are 14" Goodyear Marathons... it may hold them together.

After all is done... maybe have a shop spray clear coat that will NOT disturb the paint. Prevents your aluminum and salt from really making a mess for the new owners of the... future.

I am already... envious of your traveling Art Show. Be bold.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
So sorry to bring up a negative in the lifestyle section, but I think it's appropriate due to the fact that it directly lends to the overall vibe of the experience.

We have a beautiful 1964 Ambassador. Just love it. Everything has been updated except for the holding tanks. I don't think I'm going to rip the belly pan out and add one. Just too much hassle. So... we carry a blue boy.
It's gross. It's blue. It looks like hell when we have it lashed to the back of the airstream when we travel.

I know it's stupid, but disguising that thing would make it a touch better and was thinking of making a long rectangular tank out of aluminum diamond plate. It could sit on our back bumper and would improve aesthetics quite a bit.

Has anyone done anything similar?
I have pondered some way other than Blue Boy to handle grey water for many years. MY first thought was to convert the hose compartment behind the rear bumper of our '67 Overlander to a grey water tank. There is enough room there for about 15 gallons which would add 120 lbs hanging on the rear of a 4 inch frame which is already supporting similar weight in the Black tank. I hate the Blue Boy as much as anyone, but I hate rear end separation way more. Further that might allow one shower before it has to be dumped.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would hate to camp in a trailer without a grey tank. Have been on caravans with people and seen it done. I would add the grey tank. Have seen pictures of some that added storage capacity with PVC piping in a long series. Most trailers have grey tanks. There is a reason for that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #32
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A problem is an opportunity.... one thing about a "cover".. if metal, easy to clean.. sorta. It shouldn't flop around on the AS. The cover may also be removed and set over the tank when on the ground... it is a lot cheaper to buy a cover.

Remember the old "vinyl roof". Cars? Or, since you live on the coast, find a boat topper shop!!!! They can make whatever you can afford!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
This seems like it would be the best option; I plan to add one when I remove the belly pan to do some work in next year or two on my '67. Yeah, it'd require some plumbing, but not a huge deal imo as the stuff in the old campers is so simple.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-851.htm
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote