Old 04-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Frankfurt , Rhein-Main
Correct procedure with regard to stolen Airstream

My question concerns the US Titel. Hope this is the right section.

I'm in Germany and sadly had to report my 31ft '77 Airstream as stolen to the Police yesterday. It has vanished and all I'm left with is ten years of memories, a few photos and the US Titel.

Does one report the chassis number to a central register in the US?
Do we have a register of stolen # numbers here to refer to?

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tony Hunt 77 Airstream.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	236606  

Old 04-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
We are all sad to hear of your stolen Airstream.

Titles in the US are done by State, there is no central registration of vehicles. Each state has their own system. It is part of how our government is set up. So, the title you have was issued by an individual state. You will see which one when you examine the title itself.

As far as I know there is no central registration system, but states do have agreements with each other to report vehicles with their titles which have been stolen. So, states do talk to each other about stolen vehicles.

Unfortunately, I doubt that would be of any value to you in Germany. However you had the Airstream licensed in Germany would probably be the reporting mechanism you need to use.

That said, I am far from a legal person, and others may give you much better information.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Each of the 50 states along with Canada & Mexico are apart of a system that we call
NCIS. National Crime Information System. When it's reported it gets entered into the NCIS system and is searchable throughout North America. I'm sure Europe has some similar type of network so if someone tries to ship it out of Europe hopefully it would get picked up or if police do a check anywhere. But there are always holes in these systems and the bad guys know how to capitalize on these holes. If it was stolen for scrap it's likely already gone. Otherwise it will just be the luck of it turning up and recovered.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Auf wiedersehen,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My advice would be to report it stolen and provide all information possible. Title number, license number, trailer description, pictures, and any easily identifiable marks that a policeman could spot in case he drives by.

Good luck.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Come on you Guys...coulda, woulda, shoulda won't help our friend here. Where was
it stolen from? Report it to those Police. Then get was many photos as you can right here. Tell this Forum about the unit...then let the group here spread the word, also put up a reward notice with the local fire department, utilities and post office. Those people get out there, everywhere and have eyes.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Come on you Guys...coulda, woulda, shoulda won't help our friend here. Where was
it stolen from? Report it to those Police. Then get was many photos as you can right here. Tell this Forum about the unit...then let the group here spread the word, also put up a reward notice with the local fire department, utilities and post office. Those people get out there, everywhere and have eyes.
He lives in Germany, and that is where it was stolen. It is hard to help when we don't know the system he is working with.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
My understanding is Germany treats this as a stolen vehicle, it has a VIN number and a License and should be reported as such to both the local police and his insurance company. A stolen 30' AS in Germany should not be hard to find as it's probably being turned into a "food truck" of some sort.

Good Luck and sorry to here of your loss.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
In the UK and Europe 'caravans' do not have their own title/license or tag, they display the tow vehicle tag and are treated as an extension of the tow vehicle when on the road. Your can get stand alone insurance for a trailer but even that is not compulsory, for example I have own 2 SOB trailers in the UK and never had insurance for the trailer because it was a listed item on my house insurance, and covered by the vehicle insurance when towing. Having a trailer stolen is more like having a piece of personal property stolen than a vehicle. It isn't really clear from Antonio's first message what the question is - he will need to claim against his insurance and the insurance company will require a police report number, that really has nothing to do with the US title.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Frankfurt , Rhein-Main
Thank you for you kind posts. I am still in shock, so I may not be thinking, acting or expressing myself clearly. Thank you for the advice.

1. I have reported it personally to the local police who have all the details and photos. We spent about an hour and a half going through everything. They sent a car out straight away because one of the team had seen one parked up. They are kind of hard to hide over here. The German end of the procedures are rolling.

2. I need to read the back of the Arkansas Titel and see if that has specific instructions, also with regards to the NCIS. That was the first question.

3. The second question was if we have a place here on the forum to register stolen numbers. I guess it does not happen that often.

It was an all intact original center twin bed with all-round zip-dees. Recently some jokers must have tried to get on the roof and left two dents on the top right front curved panels. I really enjoyed how the worm holes were included in the Formica imitation wood!

The idea with the reward poster is very good, I will get that set up.

Have a good week,
tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4014.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	236657  
Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Seem to me if the VIN is reported as stolen in Germany or anywhere in Europe the new "owner " will have trouble registering it. Add to that a 31 ft Airstream is a very unusual trailer anywhere in Europe. P&S Trailer Services in Helena Ohio routinely prep older narrow body AS trailers for delivery to Europe and the UK. From what I have seen they are usually 25' and under
Old 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
If it has WBCCI numbers on its front and back, the thieves may not take them off, or if they do remove them, there may be a ghost where the numbers used to be. If there were WBCCI (or other membership indicators), I suggest sharing that info with the police and registration authority and with Air Forum, Airstream, etc. The stolen trailer may be sold to someone unsuspecting who may contact Airstream for information.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2012 19' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Airstream. Regretably, I can't help but think that it has rolled across A-3 to Passau and beyond. Schade, schade. In a land full of 6 meter long white Wohnwagens, a 31 foot Airstream will be hard to miss. Unfortunately, with borders open since the Schengen Agreement, das Zollamt is unlikely to intercept your AS.

Please keep us informed.

Mein aufrichtiges Beileid,

Rod
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
'78 Sovereign

1978 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Ladies and Gentle I would suggest not publishing too much about identifying markings, as the thief may also be reading these forums. So sorry for your loss Antonio, but follow closely to the advice of the Pllice Investigator and only proceed with his/her blessing.