Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Corded and/or Cordless Vacuum

One thing I realized that I would like to have in the 19' Airstream is some type of vacuum. I'm a bit obsessive at home and have a whole suite of Dyson products. However, I'm not sure what to get for the Airstream.

Ideally, I'd like to get a cordless, handheld. How does it work with charging? I will likely take the trailer out once or twice a month on the weekend. I probably shouldn't leave the vacuum plugged in and charging while the trailer is stored - correct? If it even charges?

But, if that's the case, I don't think it'll charge up fast enough once I start towing and power is flowing. I was thinking corded might be best, but a bit of a hassle.

Is there such a thing as a corded and cordless at the same time?

What do other folks do? I also am trying to minimize the things I haul from home to the trailer each time I use it. I live in a high-rise condo about 15 miles away from where the trailer is stowed (and I have no space at home), so trying to be strategic about all of this.

Many thanks for suggestions!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've been through enough Dirt Devil type cordless vacuums not to purchase anymore because of the batteries. The batteries discharge when not in use and if you keep it on the charger then it kills the batteries. A lithium type battery is the best because they hold a charge if not used. I have those types of batteries on my power drill and they work very well.

As for vacuums why not start out looking at Dyson since you have experience with them? I would prefer a vacuum that I can stand up an use and take apart for handheld uses too. The Dyson V6 seems to fit the bill but they are expensive.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a cordless in the Interstate, also one at home.....with a shedding dog, it really is a necessity.

They are both Black & Decker, hold a charge a good long time, and I am very happy with them.

The one in the Interstate sits on a little charger, so of course is not plugged in all the time nor can it be used while charging.

The one in the house has a cord that plugs into the handle, and runs with or without being plugged in.

Both have a little retractable wand in the head, which I really like.

A wand seems to be an absolute necessity in the Interstate, and retractable means you don't have to store it or keep track of it.

Maggie
Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Torrington , Wyoming
After trying, and be extremely frustrated, with a couple other brands of cordless vacuums I did my research. The Hoover LiNX cordless is just what I wanted and needed in our AS. We travel with a Westie. This vacuum comes withe several attachment. Included is a rotating brush for the dog hair. This Hoover has amazing power for a handheld. The battery charger is included. Once it is fully charged the charge lasts for a long time. I like it so well I steal it from Tulla (AS) and use it on our furniture here at home.
The price of this vacuum is a little more than most. But well worth the avoidance of frustration.
HighPlainAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Using the google search function in this forum will find tons of trailer vac opinions.

An example...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rs-119562.html
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I recently bought the DeWalt Handheld vacuum because it is both cordless and battery operated. I did not purchse the batteries to it as it will work with the 18V batteries that I have for my other DeWalt tools. I have only used it with the cord as our son has my drill with the batteries and charger. Maybe some day I will see them back but until then I can use it with the cord. I have used it to clean my coffee grinder, pellet grill, inside the auto and also the AS. It has worked well each time. I purchased it on Amazon.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
After extensive researching, I found that the Bissel Featherweight gets really good reviews, including Consumer Reports. It's a lightweight, plug-in stick vacuum with a removable stick to become a handheld. And it's not expensive.
The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Black + decker chv1410l

My wife bought this one for the trailer, she has a similar model at the house and has been very pleased with it. She says the instructions recommend keeping it plugged in and on the charger. It has lithium batteries. It just sits on that round plate, lift up to remove from the charger, nothing to plug or unplug. It's an Amazon best seller.

BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac
Amazon.com - BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac - Household Handheld Vacuums
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We use a upright Oreck plug in vacuum. The price was right, it's not too big and works well. If I was in the market to " BUY" one I'd look cordless.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
My wife bought this one for the trailer, she has a similar model at the house and has been very pleased with it. She says the instructions recommend keeping it plugged in and on the charger. It has lithium batteries. It just sits on that round plate, lift up to remove from the charger, nothing to plug or unplug. It's an Amazon best seller.

BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac
Amazon.com - BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac - Household Handheld Vacuums
This is the one I have in the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I also have a Black and Decker. I had a DeWalt and it is the first tool that i were bought from them that I was dissatisfied with. My BIL now owns it...
Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Leaf Blower or a Walmart Dust pan and brush

Leaf Blower.

You will need 110volts, but will get hurricane power for a fraction of the cost and it is multi use. No bags to replace. If something is not attached to the interior of your Airstream...it is going out of the door as not belonging anyways!

Hey... she gets a hair dryer.

You get the Mega Hurricane Leaf and small pet Blower. Admit it. You gave this a thought... and like me, were wise beyond your age and decided to get some wussy overpriced lint sucker.

Our compromise... we use a Walmart plastic dust pan and brush for a couple of bucks. Works perfectly. No noise. Gets everything on the floor. Weighs less than one pound. Takes up no space. No warranty issues. No fire issues. No recalls. Manually operated with no on/off buttons. I shake out the floor rugs with rubber backing that work well from Costco. After nine years of cleaning our Airstream... with two shedding Australian Cattle Dogs, we would have clogged up anything else.

Snow Blower... might be a little over doing it, so compromise with a Leaf Blower. Toss the idea out, after dinner. Blame me if things go sour. Compromise with the Walmart dust pan and brush.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I have a small shop-vac... 2.5 gal. with attachments. Works great for wet/dry multi use indoor and outdoor.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We travel with our Golden Retriever and our AS is fully carpeted except for the small area by the rear bath. I travel with an old Oreck upright household vacuum cleaner. It's light weight and does a good job. It has a cord and requires 120v power (not rechargeable). Just plug it in and put it to work when staying at RV parks with full hook ups. And, when dry camping it runs on generator power (I run the generator daily to keep our trailer's battery charged and that's when I also typically run the vacuum). Although I've upgraded to Honda 2000 generators for off grid power, it used to run fine with the trailer plugged into my old Honda 1000 generator. I vacuum our carpet daily on most trips. It's helped keep our flooring in good shape.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
A few years ago I bought a "Factory refurbished" Dyson battery vac. Since day one I was very unimpressed with the battery life that I go between charges. I think they claimed something like 4 minutes and I knew that when I bought it. I would have been ok with that but didn't get anything close.

Made it not very useful - although while it did work, suction was very good and it was convenient.

After a year or so, I figured I would try a new battery - not cheap - but it made no improvement in battery life.

Eventually I just checked the whole thing out! I contemplated trying to convert it to run on 12OVAC, but didn't have an adequate transformer & diode bridge and figured it likely wasn't worth the investment. The current draw on 24vdc was quite hefty as I recall 0 I did measure it.

Possibly there was a problem with my "Refurbished Dyson" that was causing the battery life issue that was not corrected when it was "Refurbished." Maybe other people have had better luck with them. As mentioned it did have very good suction, was compact and well made.

Since then I bought a Dewalt vac that will run on my 20v Dewalt lithium batteries. It is a wet/dry unit and has way better battery life, it will also run on 110vac.

I did order it on line with a view to taking it on RV trips because we already do take the drill/batteries/charger, but when I received it, decided that for the amount we would use it on our RV trips, it was really too big and cumbersome so we do not take it - instead, we just have a small 110v dirt devil e keep at all times in the trailer - much better suited and we rarely camp without 110v available.

The Dewalt is handy around the house for small jobs and for cleaning the truck etc., but suction ins not the greatest - barely adequate I would say.

Brian,

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the Black & Decker. The Dyson handheld is also quite bulky (in addition to being pricey).
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pretty sure we have an Electrolux cordless. It has worked just fine. The power head can be used w/o the big handle. Includes power base/storage bracket. No dog hair just our tracking in. And the filter is a snap to clean, really a "snap".
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Shark handheld cordless with a beater brush. Keeps the dog hair under control.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We love our intervac central vac system with a vacport you can sweep into under the cabinets and 12 foot hose that stretches to do the rest of the trailer.
Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Bought the Black and Decker with the Lithion battery as show in several of the above posts. It works great and can be left on the charger indefinitely. Bad experiences with Dirt Devil in the past. Can be purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond or multiple online internet sites.
Guyel is offline   Reply With Quote