Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #121
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh, let's see, you want to spend time with your kids, invest in some time...which will never decrease in value, cannot be bought or sold, or perverted.

Selfish?

Well, thanks for your kind input....

So, congrats on choosing for your family. It is obvious by your excellent absorption and investigative skills are giving you what you need to make decision for your family.

God bless y'all!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
On an unrelated note - I am getting from a few folks I know annoying responses about the purchase .....most recent one

"you could go to Disney once a year every year of their childhood with that much money"

Stuff like that....
I get those comments, too. I think those people are either jealous or have not realized that you can't take it with you...

You can still go to Disney once a year every year of their childhood...and stay at Fort Wilderness Campground- the most awesome campground ever...in the most awesome trailer ever...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cool - ill be interested in Disney Airstream trip....later

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Congratulations!! Sounds like a great plan and Ft. Wilderness @ Disney is like a bonus amusement park in addition to the other ones.. Someone else mentioned the ice cube trick (dump into toilet when starting to drive to clean black tank before dumping...). Second clever trick is to be very careful when hooking up tank flush hose not to leave it turned on.. Doing so can fill black tank and cause toilet to overflow, in a bad way... I've seen it done... Read those instructions extra carefully...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #125

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Is there a GOOD way for a toilet to overflow?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #126

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Is there a GOOD way for a toilet to overflow?
Not that I know of but I've seen some really bad ones.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yep - I read a tad about that!! Sounds very bad!

We are super excited!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
question about propride hitch...specific question mind you...not to open up the broader debate...ASSUMING I MAY purchase it or the hensley...when I bring this idea up with the dealer...he was going to install an equ-i-lizer or blue ox at "no cost"....if I ask him to purchase and install the PP hitch, how much more difficult is it to install than others? I am trying to think all this out before bringing it up (IF i bring it up, still pondering) so that I know if it truly will be more difficult for their techs to install....I figure I can get a few hundred bucks off the propride and no installation cost...so like 2200-2300 total?

Thoughts?

Originally I was told that the hitch + setup generally runs 800-900 dollars...I think I will use that bit against him and start off asking for 900 bucks off and when he balks, worst case I settle for 400 bucks off....the 800-900 was inflated, but he kinda opened that door perhaps...400 in comparison would be a "steal" relative to the 800 "cost"...so I think I might could work out 2000 or 2100...we shall see.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #129
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There is a "lengthy" setup the first time someone does an install. These are easy and require minimal drilling.

On my Excella they installed stainless steel covers over the tongue before install of the adjusters. They show no signs of wear. That is from 1999.

Also the WD bars are long enough they don't require any grinding to install.

You have time on your side to "negotiate" with dealer. He has a lifelong customer by taking care of you.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
A side note: no drilling into the frame of your new trailer for an Equalizer brand or Propride. No drilling for my 11 year old Reese Dual Cam. I think the new Reese Dual Cams require drilling. Not certain about other hitches.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
A side note: no drilling into the frame of your new trailer for an Equalizer brand or Propride. No drilling for my 11 year old Reese Dual Cam. I think the new Reese Dual Cams require drilling. Not certain about other hitches.
I will need to consider that...makes since.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No drilling on Equal-I-Zer. No drilling on EazLift weight distribution, but 6 screws for the ball to attach the anti-sway brake shoe thig-a-ma-jig. Another reason of the 2 hitches I own I like the Equal-I-Zer a little better.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
im now in the process of inqiring with dealer about propride or hensley install and cost to me given the conditions of our deal.....

Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
On an unrelated note - I am getting from a few folks I know annoying responses about the purchase .....most recent one

"you could go to Disney once a year every year of their childhood with that much money"

Stuff like that....
Don't pay any attention to them. Sour grapes, IMHO. We got the same thing when we bought our first RV, a small motor home. Some of our friends thought we were crazy because "only old people do that" (we were in our 50s at the time)... If they only knew! It became obvious to them over time that we were having the time of our lives.

Then we sold the moho and bought the Airstream ... more sour grapes. Some people just never get it. They still did not "approve" and a few actually dropped us from their Christmas card lists (metaphorically speaking) because we were gone camping so much! I think they were plain old jealous, if the truth be known.

Not only will you enjoy Airstreaming, you will giving your kids a great adventure growing up, creating wonderful memories ... not to mention the travel and educational value. With camping as a childhood activity, there is a good chance they will continue the legacy as adults.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We got the "Old People" comments too - we're in our late 30's (my wife) early 40's (myself).

Suffice to say that we just don't care. Our family is having fun and that's all that counts.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
the other awkward thing I am finding difficulty with is "how much did that cost"....annoying and rude question IMO

Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and then when you tell them, "I can't believe you paid that much!". We don't drink or smoke. We don't eat out much. We don't buy new cars every 2 years. We don't renovate the house or buy new furniture very often. We don't live in an expensive house. We do our own yard work. I cut my own hair. I take a sack lunch to work every day. We don't have the latest style clothes. That is a trade-off I am willing to live with. Everyone could afford an RV if they make it a priority. I don't hunt or collect guns (no 4 wheeler, Rhino, or 4-wheel,drive pickup). We don't have a golf cart or belong to a country club. Different strokes for different folks. I don't ride them for their choices. You could say I am cheap, but when I do buy something...I work long hours almost every day and have done so for 30 years. This is what I have worked all my life for.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
the other awkward thing I am finding difficulty with is "how much did that cost"....annoying and rude question IMO
"A little more than maybe it should have, but it is really hard to put a price on the joy it has given my family." Jim
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My boss asked me one day if I regretted buying it...#%€£¥+=?\...he has vintage cars and tractors and land and houses and horses...does he regret that stuff...I brought it up to him that his own son has a $225,000 motor home. "Well, he don't need that, either.". Whatever...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is hard to out a price on something you have been waiting 35 years to have. It makes more sense to have it and enjoy it now rather than wait till retirement (which you may never see or your health may fail or the economy may get even worse and you may lose even more money).
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955