Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
m.hony...dude, you are a real piece

Im all about meeting up halfway man! And for the right price, Ill buy your truck and trailer

We are forgoing any aggressive buy of the unit you mention....at this point we are going to better get our ducks in a row and shoot for early november purchase.

We will go to in laws in NJ next month and while there browse colonial AS and make final determination on length/layout - then make offers on units we like in november...and if that does not work out, place order for special order from JC for spring...of course we could put a special order in really soon and perhaps make it for Xmas (want to avoid the salty roads though ideally I think)

Have not entirely ruled out used. Depreciated issue noted for sure, but if end up buying say a 30' model, it could be a life long TT (I love the idea of keeping things for a LONG time) so if the exact right used does not pop up, we will splurge and buy new. Lets face it, buying brand new is an act of near pure luxury...although I had not thought much about gasses and chemical concerns with kids....ill have to ponder on that...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You should be also aware that that these things require regular and sometimes intense maintenance to keep them looking decent. Do sweat corrosion as it is probably the greatest disappointment with late model Airstreams. Along with leaks causing subfloor rot, these issues have some people really, really unhappy.

I don't blame them, it's part of the Airstream deal they don't tell you about. But regular inspections and preventive maintenance with repair as needed can mitigate most of it.

As for towing, get a tow vehicle that matches you and the trailer you end up with, hitch it with a Hensley/ProPride style hitch and it's a non-issue.

doug k
I plan on keeping it stored strictly under covered storage at a place nearby! Hopefully that will help prevent any bad leaks or excessive damage. I am aware of the filliform corrosion issue and have read a tad about how to spot it , mitigate, etc....ive told myself that if I buy an AS, this is a possibility...but if I am unlucky and have it...I will live with it...treat it...and move on...and keep making memories...and I still prefer the aesthetic of a mildly corroded AS to the SOB's we have looked at (although heck, who would not be bummed about such things popping up)....

Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
As far as warrantees go, our used AS came with a dealer warrantee. The dealer we're buying from has an excellent reputation, which gave us quite a bit of confidence that should things need fixing, they will get fixed.

Buying new is fun, but remember that the second you write that check, any new vehicle loses between 10 and 20% of its value within an instant. It might be worth your while looking into gently used.

Also, and this might be of no concern to you, new trailers are built using materials that off-gas for a considerable amount of time. Especially with young children, this was of concern to us. Buying an older trailer means not worrying about these issues.
I will be strongly considering gently used come november.....I would need some significant re-assurance that the dealer would honor a warranty and it would have have a million loopholes....otherwise I just would rather deal with repair costs as a known possibility for my TT....hate the idea of buying a warranty and having to pull teeth for those needing to meet their end of the deal....and even just not doing it....how can someone like me ask around in an effective way to find a reputable dealer....foley in gulfport has a good rep so far..chilholee in TN im not sure about.....colonial seems to have a great rep, but at 13 hour drive, not useful to me (except perhaps for purchase if the deal is right).

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For what it is worth, Airstreams come with a 2 year warranty. I just got a new 2014 on Friday and that is what the papers all say.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
For what it is worth, Airstreams come with a 2 year warranty. I just got a new 2014 on Friday and that is what the papers all say.
Yep, I am aware of this...its nice to have it, and as I understand it one cannot be surprised for the need to use it with AS's...if I go brand new route, I have already told my wife that kinks are not to be surprising...and that we have to have realistic expectations...for which she is not turned off...this is a "long haul" purchase for us, and she is getting really excited about trips to come...perhaps even as early as this fall/winter

Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Browsing at Colonial is a good idea because they have many units in stock.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
excited about it...mid july cannot get here fast enough

Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
You may be getting very close to the border of "overthinking" this life change, but that still beats total underthink...

A couple things to ponder...

1. Having dual A'C's means either a huge honkin' generator (6 to 8 KW)in truck bed or finding campsites and RV Parks with 50A power, since a 30A 110V line won't run the two A'C's at once plus provide additional power through power supply. That may impact your visions of boondocking and hanging out at lakes or beaches unless you are packing your own large, noisy and heavy powerplant. It takes at least a Honda eu3000 to drive even a single 13KBTU air conditioner on smaller trailer...
2. Similarly, a 30' trailer is going to be tougher to squeeze into some of the state or local or even federal parks, tougher to maneuver, etc.. With a good awning you'll find you spend more time outside than in living area, so size should really be driven by sleeping needs and absolute requirements for space..
3. I am great believer in gently used for both trailer AND tow vehicle.. Both are subject to immediate 20-25% drop in value as you drive off lot new, and late model truck still under warranty might be $10K or more cheaper than nice new-smelling brand new unit.. Factory certified used might have warranty extensions as well. Rust, hidden damage, abuse etc. are potential risks, but good inspections and pre-buy research can minimize.
4. As others have said, finding good place to buy and finding good place to service are generally two separate searches, with different goals. You want an honest seller, who can handle hitching, setup, teaching and equipping.. You want an authorized repair facility trained and supported by Airstream factory to do good maintenance work. Trying to find both together may not work out, and isn't required.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Condo - Im off my intense "over think" at this point - found gently used TV from Carmax (it's in delivery as we speak), and we are pretty much agreed on which AS we want.

I have not given a ton of thought about gently used because newer bunkhouses are 2013 so best I'll do is buy a 2013 bunkhouse in the coming weeks or months.

Getting excited - brother is pouring me a concrete pad in from of my backyard patio in a couple weeks.

May possibly lock in purchase deal end of July and pick it up in August

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
If I can't get a good price on the bunkhouse (3 dealers that I would drive to have one on lot) - then I will be considering use I think - I will not pay MSRP for one of these

Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well I'm getting numbers from dealers today - already a real possibility - waiting
for quotes from others though before final decision

Getting excited

One thing I'm worried about is a 2013 model shipped in march 2013....snow salt on roads...i was told by dealer that he has no recollection of salt on that model and it is corrosion free (at this point)

It looks like I could order new for about 3k more - which would also include awnings package - so in reality we are talking about 1600 for brand new factory fresh delivered in October/November at this point - decisions decisions - hopefully the two dealers that have yet to return surprise me with numbers that make the decision even more clear

Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You're getting warmer...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Just put down deposit on 2013 bunkhouse at foley rv in Gulfport - 19.5% off MSRP

Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Just put down deposit on 2013 bunkhouse at foley rv in Gulfport - 19.5% off MSRP
Great news. You'll have your family out camping before you know it. Is it in stock?