Hoover , Alabama
THose Eddie Bauer models are really cool

Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Any good reading advice for RV competency in the meantime? Ive been watching some youtube videos on the sewage systems and proper use...I figure I can learn alot on youtube, and perhaps pick up something like RV guide for idiots etc...Once I get my mind set on something I become a book expert on it...I am a book expert on bass fishing and am not that good at it....
I recommend "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming"
Newbies Guide To Airstreaming: Rich Luhr, Brad Cornelius: 9780983345800: Amazon.com: Books

It's written by the Editor of Airstream Life and is an excellent primer on what to expect. It's so good it's in the package of manuals you get with a new Airstream.

I memorized my copy before we took the plunge, and I was glad I did.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Great - thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
also...is there perhaps a thread that will include an exhaustive listing of all "typical" longitudinal costs associated with AS TT ownership/operation...im thinking like storage, licensure, insurance, what things very routinely need replaced....supplies needed for usual maintenance....etc...

I know much of this question is VARIABLE...I just want to wrap my head around any and all possible costs so that I can figure my budgeted plan into my decision making...then beyond that I would save I dunno, some form of repair slush fund for unkowns..I try and do the same thing for my cars as they have gone out of warranty period...

Not sure if this question is making sense....but I know that as a newB, I may not anticipate many standard costs at this point that I have yet to consider....I would rather not be surprised...Ill read that book though and perhaps that will give me some insights as well....
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
also, I wonder if there is like an AS club or rally in my region at some point that we could go to and just see peoples' AS's for fun/education...There is some dealers in florida that have a tone of them....there are three new AS's at my local dealer listed on website...I presume they are on their lot.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you have a cash budget north of $20k, you should be able to find a well-cared-for used trailer in excellent condition in the 25'-30' range that's ready to go camping in. You might not find The One overnight, but you're looking at 2 years out for the purchase anyway, so learn a lot and watch the used market in that time. For example, a friend of mine just purchased an '06 Safari Bunkhouse 30' in excellent shape (new tires and batteries in 2012, well-maintained, etc.) for $33k without much haggling. If you're seeking a higher-volume model a couple of years older it should be right in your ballpark, and not require a big renovation.

Keep in mind that a trailer that's ready to camp in is like any other RV, used or new, it will always have something or another to fix or adjust or upgrade, and that counts against "cost of ownership." The difference between "ready to go" and "needs renovation" is just the length of the list of things that need attention, and the dollar amounts for those items.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Since opinions are free on this site ... here is mine.

My wife and I started out with a pop-up camper when the kids were small. And we had a blast. We pulled that all over the place and have very fond memories. And it is quite reasonable in cost.

After a few years I decided to move up to a "white box" and to be honest, I should have made the move earlier or not at all. The kids (two lovely girls) were in middle school and camping quickly became "gay" (1990s) and we didn't use the "white box" camper much at all. We didn't buy our AirStream until it was just my wife and I.

So here are my recommendations ....
1. Start off cheap to see if you are going to like camping. When I say "cheap" I don't mean in quality I'm talking about less expensive campers.
2. If you buy a used camper, this can be long process. You will look at a lot of abused units. So have your checkbook handy for when you find that nice, clean used unit because it won't be on the market very long. (I sold both of my campers in less than a week because they were in great shape.) It is hard to find a clean used unit.
3. If your family likes these vacations and you are thinking of up-grading, do it sooner vs. later.
4. When looking at the floor plans of a unit, remember the kids will grow up. So choose a floor plan that will work for you and your wife when the kids are gone. (That was the other mistake we made in our "white box" purchase.)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We got lucky a few years back and found a nice older trailer in the $8k range. It was in well-used shape but fully functioning and served our needs well. We traveled with it and this past summer sold it and upgraded to a newer one. You may run into some units that have been stationary much of their life. I would recommend that you avoid any trailer that has not been on the road and many have been modified to fit the sedentary life. Serviceable and original plumbing is a big plus. There's not much that cannot be repaired / replaced if the need arises but if you plan to travel with it good running gear is essential. We did it without the benefit of forums, such as this, and the advice available. Maybe we were lucky but do your homework and be prepared when you go looking.

Enjoy the hunt. Enjoy the camping even more.
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
There is also an excellent blog.
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips & information for travelers.
It's by a couple down in your neighborhood. Excellent videos, and Sean's book available for about 3 bucks on Amazon also has a lot of good info. Plus it's entertaining.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
also, I wonder if there is like an AS club or rally in my region at some point that we could go to and just see peoples' AS's for fun/education...<snip>.....
Check the Rally/Gatherings listings at the bottom pf the Portal Page to see if there's anything in your area ... If there's a WBCCI rally anywhere, that would be good. We've have folks do the very thing you have described at some of the 4CU rallies...they come for an afternoon, check out all the Airstreams and talk to owners and pick their minds...it's a great way to get a feel for the possibilities and see Airstreams in actual use by real people. We love showing off our rigs! And chances are you'll never see two that are exactly alike.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
great! Thanks for the ideas you all. I think the wife will very much enjoy it - we will at some point prior to purchase give some different style ones a try just to make sure we get what we want.

I think as a general premise, I am really excited just to have this as a frequent weekend excursion in our region. With little effort and not much expense, there will be so much to do in our region that I suspect we will get "alot" of use out of the a TT....

I already have ideas cooked up in my head for awesome "man trips" too for fishing...there are sooo many great lakes that I could spend a weekend fishing at with a friend or two and it will be great fun to camp for that weekend.

This used to be something that could not happen, but my wife has now every 3-4 months enjoyed as of late "women trips" with a friend of hers for a weekend...they went to chatanooga a couple months ago with our son and her friend and her two kids and had a blast...I was "free" for the weekend....

I suspect that a couple times per year I will be able to take a 3 day fishing weekend with little resistance from my wife now cause she likes now to do the same thing...its really wonderful...

And of course we adore spending time TOGETHER...but you know how it is...we all need a little time to ourselves

Anyway, im loving the possibilities with an AS.

My only mild concern is storage...my hope is that my house I will eventually move into I will somehow find a way to store it myself on that property, but this seems increasingly unlikely given that we want to stay close in to the hoover area...there has been a few houses that had very large paved driveways in a back/side area of the house in addition to 2 garage spots...I could make a carport or something to cover it...but otherwise I will have to find a place to pay to store...not sure how much that will be though...researching now.....
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
i found some really close storage, but it is uncovered...Im wondering if I can find uncovered storage like this but just put up a portable cover in that spot...I could probably look to a spot not in town perhaps a 20 minute drive or so, but such an area would be much less secure....I would feel much better paying 40-60 per month in a more secure facility locally in hoover...but I do not much like the idea of an RV being rained on and son on during perhaps much time of the year...

Ive tried googling on this subject, but do folks have storage solutions or experience as such?

Covers seem to be a bad idea per some other posts on this forum...

I was thinking something in this ballpark...in high winds I am afraid of this just blowing away....but perhaps not...

14Wx36Lx14H Portable Boat Storage
Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
sun* not "son" lol
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Welcome to the forums! We are from Mobile. Not TOO far from you. ROLL TIDE!!! Most of our camping is on the Gulf Coast particularly Gulf Shores. We spend 5-6 weeks at Anchors Aweigh RV Park during the summer. It's a GREAT place for kids. Our daughter and her family (2 boys 4 and 7 and a new baby this summer) also camp there in her SOB. There is a company that rents campers in Gulf Shores. I'm not sure of the name of the company, but I could try to find out for you if your're interested. Might be a good way to experiment.

You have already gotten a lot of good advice and you can continue to learn by reading as much as you can here. As to your question about rallies, we are going to the Canopener Rally in Destin Jan. 3-6. I think the last time I checked, there will be around 70 Airstreams there. On Saturday, there will be an open house where you can tour many of the campers. You will see everything imaginable there from vintage to the latest models of all sizes. And folks love to tell you all about their experiences! Don't know if that's a possibility for you, but you would certainly be welcome to visit! If you do decide to come, look us up! Hope to see you "down the road."

WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote