Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ive only bought like a few basic things so far...my sewer solution, a clear extension for it...surge protector....I was balking on blocks because I hoped they may give me some....but you think they wont? If not, I may just go ahead and buy those Lynx ones (if I remember correctly)....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #156
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Ive only bought like a few basic things so far...my sewer solution, a clear extension for it...surge protector....I was balking on blocks because I hoped they may give me some....but you think they wont? If not, I may just go ahead and buy those Lynx ones (if I remember correctly)....
The things you can pretty much count of getting for free as part of the purchase price are:
One shore power cord;
One blue-and-white water hose, probably only 25 feet long;
One four-roll pack of biodegradable toilet paper;
One slinky, with a 90° fitting for the discharge end (clear is best but don't count on the freebie being clear);
One full load of propane (two full tanks);
A whole bunch of owners manuals, though probably with one or two missing from the set that you won't notice until you really need them;
A few single-use packets of waste tank chemicals;
An Airstream key ring that's supposed to have your Airstream's serial number (not its VIN) printed on it;
Some throw pillows that are supposed to complement the decor;
Maybe an Airstream baseball cap, if they have any in stock.

Anything else you think you'll need, you had better plan on bringing with you, or buying at the dealer; they have a decent selection of stuff, but not necessarily as much in stock as Camping World or Parts66.

But really, aside from leveling blocks, chocks, groceries, bedding, toiletries, and clothing, you'll have plenty enough for a stay-camp at the dealer to familiarize yourself with the systems. Anything else can be accumulated over time as you go on trips and say to yourself "If only I had…" As long as you remember to also leave stuff behind next time whenever you look at a piece of gear and ask yourself "Why did I ever buy this?"

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
m.hony

at the minimum, I suppose we will camp @ foley friday 11/1 into 11/2...my father and step mom will be keeping the kids back at home while we get all this done....not sure If we will stay in that area saturday night into sunday then go home or leave saturday? still working on those details...but we should def. try to bump into each other...heck even swing buy there either 11/1 (I think we will be there all day pretty much) or PM me and see if we are still around saturday....hopefully there will not be a bunch of kinks, leaks, etc...but those will need to be addressed if they are seen.
I will probably stop by Foley just to check it out and get a feel for how good their service department is.
Some Walmarts have a great RV accessory section. The one near our favorite camping spot in Grenada ha a good RV section.
I have the Lynx levelers (look like orange Lego blocks in a bag) that i only use when camping off pavement to keep the stabilizers from sinking in the dirt.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The issues we found on the dealer lot were cracked light lenses, a broken upholstery button, broken awning claws, and broken reading lamps.
The Velcro on the upholstery button was a temporary fix until I got a new button from Jackson Center.
I got several replacement light lenses from the dealer and from Jackson Center. They are still riding around in the trailer.
There were a couple of baseboards that the factory workers neglected to mail in. After a phone conversation with Airstream general manager Dave Schuman he mailed me a nail gun. I nailed the baseboards in and returned the nail gun to Jackson Center.
I talked him out of a $100 gift certificate for my trouble. It is shiny and silver. I bought a Vineyard Vines tie with Airstreams on it and a Life is Good t-shirt. They are both in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-305495475.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	709.8 KB
ID:	193859   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2743515069.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	193860  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-770182670.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	193861  
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Leveling blocks are a 'must have' item. We started with only one set but now have three sets. It is nice to have the extra sets when we camped at Yosemite at a very uneven site. We actually used all three sets and wished we had a forth set to put under the stabilizer jacks. They are very lite weight and don't take up much room. Let the shopping begin.....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Box fans just in case it's a little hot or you have bugs flying around.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #161
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
PharmGeek,

You were wondering how to fill time up... That concern is becoming a memory in your rear view real fast?

Life's good!

Peace
Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Haha - yep - true - not too long now - couple months

I'm going to order some leveling blocks in a few days - and before I pickup I will likely order a PC orbital sander and supplies for washing Nd sealing trailer....oh And boeshield t-9 for spraying the underbelly.

I'll use paper plates for a bit - have not thought much about that but will make do and accumulate other crap as needed

Still need backup camera for truck and trailer

Old 08-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #163
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Just a thought… When you go to pick up your unit, take a small roll of masking tape and a pen. If the various switches and such aren't already labeled, as soon as you find out what they're for, label them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That is an excellent idea.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Box fans just in case it's a little hot or you have bugs flying around.
I have 2 fans already that I think will do the trick....one is one of the standard white pedestal oscillating fans...the other is a higher quality outdoor fan..tried to find a picture on the net of it...it is about 18 inch I think - caged..but the fan internally oscillates and it is really quite quiet and powerful...use it on patio at home...probably will bring that one alone first and see how it does...keep the skeeters off....I have had cooks pest control treat my yard for the past couple summers...works well when there is not alot of rain...this year alot of rain and this seems to reduce effectiveness...i digress..

Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #166
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Oh my gosh, a 29 year old pharmicist can buy a NEW 30' Airstream? As a 30 year airline pilot I obviously chose the wrong career field. How do you guys do this?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well, I am actually 30 now so yeah

But my wife and I are both pharmacists...we live in a very modest 3 bedroom home in our area - drive used cars...

But I suppose pharmacists in the scope of things make pretty good money....beats growing up half the time on welfare like I did

I have read that new pilots in the airline industry get shafted...I think I heard that dude that landed on the hudson river talking about it...

Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh, another VERY important point....I work 8 hours per month EXTRA at a chain retail pharmacy...this USED to be done and I used it as my spending money....mostly in the past 5 years I have used that money to buy photography and fishing stuff (my 2 hobbies otherwise)...when we agreed on the airstream buying new...I agreed to give up this "bit" of extra income and dedicate it toward the Airstream for the next 4 years or so...this does quite a bit in minimizing the budgetary impact....

Why 4 years....we will be out of student debt at that point for the most part..which consititutes just under the equivalence of about 3 mortgages as we had it on an aggressive 10 year track to payoff most of em...