Old 04-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Color me... PINK with Envy

Henry Ford figured out that you could pick 'any color' available, off the production line... as long as it was BLACK.

Wally Byam figured out that you could pick 'any color' available, off the production line... as long as it was SILVER.

At least Ford Corporation understood that individuals want some flexibility for their individual tastes by choosing various options, and more importantly... a COLOR choice. It was an obvious success as colors change every year, apparently.

Aluminum is naturally various tints of Silver. When the curved sections are stamped out in production, they are duller than the flat sheets. If you have not noticed... look again. Much like the tires we spend so much time discussing on the Forum are also various shades of Black.

Simple Simon was able to get people to do things that they should not do and if Simple Simon said to do it... they would.

Silver Airstreams have been the one and only color option. Why not when coating the bare aluminum... use COLOR. I have seen sports cars painted over the original factory color, or it was totally removed with a metallic color. You can see the shine through the light color. One car seen in Nevada, I had to ask what kind of material was, as it appeared to be stainless steel with a thin coating of clear coat with... COLOR.

Imagine a light Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, Purple or Orange. Or... just any single primary color of the rainbow. The American Architectural Manufacturers Association can be found on the internet as:

www.aamanet.org/general/1/351/aluminum-finishes.

One thread on this Forum was saying his trailer's new polish was creating 'hot spots' and possibly a fire hazard when parked in the sun and reflecting and concentrating hot spots... and actually gaining some support. I was able to do that with my 4 inch glass magnifying glass, taking graded homework and scorching designs of black at will and possibly starting some on fire, I do not recall.

I spent several days in the Mohave Desert at 120F without Air Conditioning and the other two weeks at a RV Park with AC, but I melted no fiber glass RV's near me, nor started a spontaneous combustion fire episode with my new, shiny 2014 International.

IF an Airstream can start a grass fire while camped... maybe the COLORED Airstream is not only environmentally friendly, but would save the planet from a premature Global Warming of North America.

Hummingbirds still dazzle observers with their metallic colors. IF a bird can do what Simon Says... do we have Woodpeckers at the factory that are content that one color, Silver, fits ALL?

The Hummingbird Airstream. I just might want one for myself.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So a tinted clear coat? That sounds really interesting!

One of the reasons I love Argosy trailers is the creativity people show in their paint jobs. There's a great thread in here with terrific pictures of the variety of creativity people have.

It would be interesting to see the same only in tinted coatings that still show you're in an aluminum trailer. I'm imagining some Art Deco designs with different tints (imagine a "coral" Thunderbird with white fins...that sort of application to a trailer....).

Very cool thought! Who's going first? 😀

Old 04-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Thinking outside the... cheap, cheaper and cheapest

This probably should be listed under:

Exterior Restoration
Clearcoat, Exterior Paint...

We purchased some 'art' at the Castle Rock Art Festival several years ago. Two artists were taking sheets of aluminum, wire brushing designs and then color coating them. Multiple colors and panels used to make it three dimensional relief.

Then seeing the car in Nevada with the metallic reflective color coating and whatever preparation was needed to get to that point. It could have been adhered onto the original finish.

Airstream could attract an entirely new genera of trailer buyers with the exterior design, but now with a unique color finish on the exterior. These artists could wire brush the texture or art work onto the aluminum, no doubt before the aluminum is clear coated, and then spray the color coat. If you have been to a recent Art Fair, you will understand how showy this would be.

Updating the facility at Jackson Center, Ohio with a computerized system that would take the new owner's design and apply it onto the Airstream after the shell was ready for the interior finishing.

Airstream would have to make an effort and risk of doing something... new and untested upon a market of mostly conservative seniors, although I would hope there are just as many like myself who would like to see even a simulation done on a computer for the effect.

Sometimes a corporation, like Sears or KMart, should have brought in new ideas of marketing. Some do not and change is risky. Ask Sears and KMart shareholders... if following a 20th Century status quo competes among the 21st Century business models.

Somewhere, someone is going to think outside the stuffy corner Airstream and other RV builders find themselves today, and create a moving piece of ART. Not only ART but absolutely FREE advertising their product and the artist responsible.

If Picasso did it onto an Airstream when he was alive and experimenting... what a large surface to work with. Had I any photograph space left for being a 'grunt Forum member', I would post pictures of our Aluminum Art on the wall.

The disadvantage... you wreck your trailer, the repair work would require the artist to recreate the panel, ship it and have it installed.

The advantages... even smacked up, it will look fantastic as it went from mere ART to Modern Art in less than one second.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I think a choice of colors would be interesting, and attractive to some potential customers. If I was doing something like that, I'd want the coating to also include waterproofing, and maybe even minor dent prevention.

Make no changes, just improvements.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Airstream did make painted trailers, the Argosy.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hauula , Hawaii
Beautiful idea. Maintain the polished beauty and form, but with tinted clearcoat. The possibilities are endless. Warhol, Picasso, Rauschenberg, Klee, Calder--all these artists' work would lend themselves so well to an Airstream. With that in mind, I'm formulating some ideas for my as-yet unfinished Sovereign.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Color me... PINK with Envy

I bought my Airstream partly because of nostalgia. I remembered going on trips with my family in the '50's, and noticing caravans of them on the highways. I remember my Grandad telling me how they went all over the country, and I imagined doing that. So for me, the silver color is a part of the daydream that I would like to come true.

What I didn't realize when I bought the Airstream is, unlike many things that are of interest to us older folks, they are becoming very popular with the younger generation. My wife's daughter, who lives the the SF Bay Area, was very envious of us, as were her friends. I'll bet they would be interested in color choices, or at least different tints of the clear coat that would still preserve the ambiance of the aluminum shell.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboards View Post
Beautiful idea. Maintain the polished beauty and form, but with tinted clearcoat. The possibilities are endless. Warhol, Picasso, Rauschenberg, Klee, Calder--all these artists' work would lend themselves so well to an Airstream. With that in mind, I'm formulating some ideas for my as-yet unfinished Sovereign.

I had considered contacting Coors Beer in Golden, Colorado when we bought our 23 footer. Use their advertising company to make our trailer a Coors Can on wheels. Then... I figured where I put the 'pull tab'?