Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Classifieds

I frequent the classifieds multiple times daily. Curiosity is part of the reason, as well as looking at what owners have done to the interiors of their trailers and just to see what various models are selling for. I am not a current AS owner. I had a unit up until last year when I gave it to my son and I bought an Avion; but that is a story for another time.
The reason for the thread is that I am appalled at some of the condition of trailers and motorhomes that appear in the classifieds. How these people expect to sell trailers that are filled with junk, pots and pan in sinks, refuse on the floor, etc. These are all indicative of how that individual has taken care of his unit. Most would not touch them with a ten foot pole. It is almost embarrassing that they appear on this forum. I realize it is an open forum but, please!
Many classifieds are professionally done and I have noted that those units sell quickly. I just don't understand some sellers.
Nuff said.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Different strokes for different folks I reckon...

I will buy a distressed product if I can get it at a good enough price, and it is something I am in the market for. I have gotten several things from eBay at below market prices because the description was flawed or the pictures were poor.

I just recently bought a vintage tractor that appeared to be in very poor condition, cleaned it up and doubled my money on it when someone asked to buy it and I told them it wasn't for sale, but I would entertain offers, they made me an offer too good to refuse.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Actually, in one sense it is quite normal that a significant percentage of the 'For Sale' trailers are not in good condition.

Imagine that the normal wear and tear of time has lessened the appeal of the TT to the owner, and/or his S/O. Also remember that the majority of people in this world are not willing or perhaps able to do the sort of work required to upgrade those same TTs.

Result? "Sell that dang thing and (get a new one, clear out my yard, or a bunch of other possibilities)."

Thus, those that can upgrade them are happy to recycle the shopworn TTs into lovely newer-looking ones.

Capitalism! Ain't it grand!?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Aage: Unfortunately, many of those same people think that their haphazardly-maintained Airstreams and Argosies are worth as much as the well-maintained ones (or more!) I've just had that experience, though not with an AIRForums classified listing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Let me add though that I am also surprised how little care is taken with many of the trailers that get advertised. As you say, dirty dishes in the sink, piles of "stuff" (garbage?) on the floor, furniture, and counters, all captured in a blurry shot taken with a low-end camera phone in dim light.

That, IMHO, is just plain dumb. Do the people taking those shots think that views of those photos will be so entranced as to see past all the crap in the trailer?

Dream on!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i will note that our current home had *just* one photo on the MLS - taken from afar and slightly blurry, and all you could really see was the decrepit greenhouse. GRANTED, it was a fixer upper, make no mistake; but the price was so appealing im surprised it was on the market for so long.

We did the research - looking at the GIS and google earth, investigating comparable properties, etc. But in the end we got what we thought was a great deal because it wasn't marketed well and after 2 years the owners just accepted any offer.

Had it been better photographed and more info provided, i think it would have sold long before we ever saw it.

Point: I agree, nice photos (requiring you to clean your trailer) will do WONDERS and result in more $$ in your pocket.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I spent over 40-hours cleaning an already clean TT and took several hundred photos of my '34 prior to trying to sell it in 2009. It was a great deal of work. They're scarce as hens teeth today. Much more sought after.

So, yes, the time & effort are well worthwhile.

But in buying oh, yes, give me the ones with purple carpeting and the doggie smell. Ain't nothin' easier than fixin' those "problems" if one can save thousands on the agreed price. They (almost) all need $$ spent on them, after all.

Knowing how to read those pics is what matters.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
Its just not Yachty! I have seen boats for sale in the same condition, drives me nuts! My humble opinion is the RV should be treated like a lady and it should show.
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
I am in complete agreement with you ... I mean how much effort does it take to pick up the burger bag and straighten up a little? I see the same thing on eBay and Craig's list with cars, boats and all sorts of things folks want to sell ... And don't get me started on words used incorrectly!
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
They're scarce as hens teeth today.
but... hens...don't have....teeth... ?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
OK, how about "finer than a frog's hair"?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
That's why they are rare !
Actually, chicks are born with one tooth that allows them to break the eggshell. It falls off shortly after hatching!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Actually, chicks are born with one tooth that allows them to break the eggshell. It falls off shortly after hatching!

WHHHAAAAA?!?!?!?!?

you just blew my mind.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I think I saw something on Discovery about scientists messing with chicken DNA and literally "turning on" the gene in the sequence that grows teeth, similar to dinosaurs, and they showed how successful it was in a photo of an embryo they latter destroyed...blew my mind too...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How to renew classified

I have tried to renew the classified listing several times. I keep getting notices that it will expire and now down to one day. The link sent doesn't work and editing the ad does not renew it. It's a quandary to me how to extend the listing.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I have tried to renew the classified listing several times. I keep getting notices that it will expire and now down to one day. The link sent doesn't work and editing the ad does not renew it. It's a quandary to me how to extend the listing.
You get two links: one to indicate that you have sold the item, and the other to renew.

Copy the "renew' one then paste it into your browser's address window.

Works for me...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I did it again. I have done that several times. This time I noticed it said my edit was successful, not certain I saw that before seeing my classified before. Thanks. It either renewed or will be gone tomorrow. We'll see.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You have put "SALE PENDING." into your ad.

If that's true, congratulations. But it's been there a while: if it isn't still pending, you are scaring potential buyers away with that statement, I would think...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I found that I have to be logged in to the classified section and my renewal works better.