Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #21
Happy Camper

2018 30' Classic
Flat Rock , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
We’ve had 3 Airstreams over the past 15 years—currently a Classic 30. Before we purchased the Classic, we considered going with a fifth wheel because of space/storage. But, ultimately, for all the reasons mentioned here, we opted for the Airstream and the relationship we’d built with our dealer and the factory. An interesting sidebar—shortly before we pulled the trigger on the Classic, we had an issue with our tow vehicle that could have caused us to miss a trip that had been planned for a year. Luckily we were able to rent a truck at a reasonable rate that allowed us to make the trip. Finding a rental to pull a fifth wheel would have been considerably more challenging!
nipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
5ver vs Airstream

As suggested, take a real good look at the Flying Cloud 28 or 30 foot models. Way fewer gadgets to malfunction. The new Internationals come standard with a power awning (unfortunately). If you like the International Series better then the Flying Cloud , special order one without the power awning. We purchased a International Serenity because we liked the lighter interior. However, we are pretty sure our next Airstream will be a Flying Cloud 30 Rear Bed twin. Go to the dealer and spend lots of time in each of the prospective models. You will know when one is talking to you. Good luck in your search. Welcome to the Airstream world. The Classic Series are very beautiful inside but are just loaded up with to much high tech for us. We like it simple.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
We lucked into an overnight stay in St Andrews State Park in Panama City because the 5th who originally booked the spot tried from every angle and could not get in around the trees - my AS slipped right in. Other campers there said it was fun watching him try, though
Old 10-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You can always look for a 2016 Classic. They have ducted AC and power recliners, awnings. All the other systems are the same as the others.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #25
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you can dodge the power awnings, that’s a win. Very expensive to fix when a motor burns out for no reason at all.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsphziem View Post
My wife and I have always been intrigued with AS. At the age of 62 we have been discussing an upgrade to a Classic 33FB. and spending three to 4 months a year travel, maybe more. Last year I took advantage of year end rebates and purchase an Ford Super Duty 6.7. Now own a TV that can handle almost anything.

Nicer well built 5th wheels sure do offer many amenities. The nicer ones such as those offered by the Van Leigh company start around 75K going into $130K. Putting them into the realm of AS prices.

Within the next year we need to make a choice.

My question for all you long term Airstreamers . Why an AS over a 5th wheel that tows very well and offers so much more live able space. We feel either will have long term durability and tow equally as well.
IMO, it is a personal decision based on preference.
For me it depends entirely on how a trailer is used. That's why I have two.
During summer we are on the road more, traveling every day or two, longer distances in a relatively short time. A smaller trailer makes sense.
During winter we stay months in one location, and travel very little. A larger trailer makes sense.
My sister and brother-in-law sold their Airstream. They now have two trailers for the same reason I do. Both of their trailers are 5th wheels. (ps: they spend more time and $ working on their newer trailers than I do on mine)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
... It came down to style of use. My wife and I are travellers more than stayers. We like moving, exploring, seeing new places. We couldn't imagine staying in one place more than a few days...

That’s the life for us too. Our FC 27FB is just right for the two of us. Those big Fifth Wheels are really nice but their size kinda limits where you can park them and they’re really heavy. For us, less is more.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Classic 33 Feedback.....

Hi Jsphziem,

In regard to the Classic 33 you are considering….. we recently purchased one ourselves in the “Twin floor plan” about 17 months ago and have used it 154 nights / 12,725 miles thus far, in both "the traveler” mode, as well as "the stayer” mode, on various trips. We have enjoyed the Classic 33 for doing either mode of travel.

Our situation: We had decided “to simplify our lives” as we Retired last year, looking to have less “that can go wrong” mechanically during our RV travels and explorations….. as we had owned several diesel pusher Class A RV’s over the past nine years, we were now ready to rid ourselves of: slide outs, hydraulic leveling jacks, a huge onboard 10K diesel generator, dishwasher, washer & dryer, central vac, etc….. and all the associated mechanical problems that ‘eventually’ occur with having all those features.

So FOR US….. the Classic 33, while it is the longest & heaviest of the current Airstream line of models and floor plans….. works quite well and has made our transition from a 43’ ft. tag-axle Class A much easier.

And so, with your comment in your second post about “simpler is better”….. I thought I would share our observations and experience with simplifying our lives and moving to a Classic 33 in the process.

Go spend some time inside the Classic as well as ALL the other 30 ft. floor plans in the other Airstream models mentioned above by everyone….. it’s a personal decision that only you can ultimately make.

Good luck, have fun & enjoy !
Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There *is* no single answer to any of this. That's why a whole bunch of trailers get sold and you rarely see any more than one of this or that model and year at any campground.

For a 5th wheel to be "real" it's going to have slides. The ones that get people excited have a lot of slides. Whenever you camp, finding a location that is a) pretty and b) big enough for lots of slides can easily turn into - pick one or the other. As you drop back from a 33' to a 16' you do indeed pick up even more places you can pull into.

A Classic (either one) is really a two person "live in" sort of trailer. More than that gets cumbersome. You can get 5th wheels that will do pretty well with four to six people. You also can find ones that let you haul a couple of dirt bikes in the back. If your needs get into big toys or lots of people ... the choice narrows down a lot.

I can buy a 5th wheel (maybe not one I'd like to buy) for half what a Classic will cost. Put the rest of the money in a mutual fund and it's a good bet you can buy another 5th wheel in 10 years and probably another one in 20 years ( yes you would have to sell / trade as part of the process). What sort of shape / what sort of value your Classic will have in 30 years ....who knows .... how many trees will you get a bit close to ?

No simple answers without digging pretty deep into just exactly what your plans all are.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We looked hard at moving to a 5th wheel between AS's number 2 and 3....4 years ago. Pricing on a 5th wheel is especially attractive with the very large discounts....30-40% in some places. Size inside is so big with 3-4 slides, you can hold line dancing lessons! But, we feel it is for people going from one location to another...not as flexible in doing the "camping" type visits we do in National or State parks...that's a lot of "questionable" structure there, compared to AS. If I was only going to go from/to few times a year, and not want to explore boondocking type sites, smaller parks, etc., perhaps I would look at a 5th wheel...I notice the price is very attractive when I talk with folks. When I watch 5th wheelers try to maneuver their "large" rigs into camp sites that are not pull thru's, I shake my head at the maneuvering required to park for the night...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
..... When I watch 5th wheelers try to maneuver their "large" rigs into camp sites that are not pull thru's, I shake my head at the maneuvering required to park for the night...
Hi

Most of them seem to get pretty good at it

One of the guys who used to work for me was really big on 5th wheels. We would go round and round on these sorts of things forever and ever.

======

Tear down / set up on a big 5th wheel is going to be more than on even a Classic AS. The strapped down chairs, the slides, and all the other this and that take time to get in place (and then to knock down on departure). Toss in a toy hauler porch and it's even more exciting. On most of them, pushing out the slides is not optional. If you want to stay for the night, the leveling jacks go down and the slides go out.

I still haven't quite figured out how you manage all this plus a giant residential fridge that only runs on 120V in a Walmart parking lot overnight......

Bob
Old 10-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Neenah , Wisconsin
Hi WV2017;

All of the above comments make sense. I know were I want to be and that is in an AS. Your comments of your past with big Class A's hit home with me. Over the years we have explored the Great Lakes with our own 40' vessel. We learned from that, that we are traveler/explores more than stayers. Also learned about all the challenges that come along with large equipment. Cost of owning any type of RV of course is much less than that boat! Also learned during those years that we disliked being in Marina's and prefer "Off the Hook". so Boondocking is great.

in 2014 we purchase a 26' TT and have pulled that down to the panhandle of Florida, another long trip to South Padre this past winter. We both point out every AS we see on the highway or camp. Can't say that about 5'er other than to say "Damm that's big.

I have an interesting side business storing campers and boats for winter storage in Central Wisconsin. I work with about 20 owners and have heard many likes and dislikes. What I have observed and it has been mentioned many times by on this forum. The boxes with all those graphics really look tired after a half dozen years. And the problems stories I heard as we park the equipment for the season run the gamut of problems.

Over the fifteen years of working that business I have never had the pleasure of storing an AS! Wonder whats up with that.

We definitely are explorers, with a goal of visiting and hiking all the national parks as well as discover hundreds of interesting state parks. I am an avid Back country backpacker, my wife not so much, day hikes for her are fine and hanging out with the fur kids at camp until I return is just fine.

The classic has the amenities we have come to enjoy yet still forces us to get rid of the clutter and simplify. Not ready to down size our home property and will have to address that. How does one manage the home property when away for maybe several months at a time?

Thanks again for all that have comments. Seems like each touches a cord with my thoughts.
Jsphziem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi WV2017;

Over the fifteen years of working that business I have never had the pleasure of storing an AS! Wonder whats up with that.

Hi

We *are* comparing a low(er) volume trailer manufacturer (Airstream) *and* one of the low running models in their line (the Classic) to an entire category of RV's here

Fifth wheels are a very popular category of RV. A wide range of outfits each make a *lot* of them. In addition there is a high end (the one I drool at, but don't buy) a middle and a low end. Equally there are outfits that build the lowest cost RV they possibly can, outfits that just do the high end, and people that seem to try to do it all.

Once you get to three axles on a 5th wheel / it's as long as a semi / 4+ slides ... that's pretty big. I've also seen ones that are well under 30' from nose to tail / one slide, that's not so big at all. There's a wide range.

Some have kitchens set up with the same stuff I have here in the house. Others use the appliances you see in a more typical RV. Some go crazy with gear I can't afford to have in a home. Again, a very wide range and plusses / minuses to each.

Very much *not* a single item being compared to a Classic .....

Bob
Old 10-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
The Classic is a very nice trailer. We have NEVER been in a 5th wheel that “wowed” us.

We travel (28’ International) a minimum of 30 days at a time, hitting many different places. As mentioned above, I would hate to set up / take down a 5’r every stop.

A 5’r sells people on their belief they “need space”. AS sells on functional top quality space. You really can not compare the two. Additionally IMHO if you really need space from the one you travel with, it is likely you won’t be traveling long timeframes anyway.

And yes, we also do not like the size, exterior looks of a 5’r so we are a little biased.

Either way, enjoy your experiences and travel safe !
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	794.2 KB
ID:	326494Click image for larger version

Name:	JNT_0681.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	326495

I travel with a 90# Goldendoodle that shares his airstream with me, He also lets me drive his truck but that’s only if he gets to go. My parents had a Land Yacht when I was a child, I spent an entire summer in it in their backyard (of course I my mother insisted I eat meat, potato’s, and vegetables so I had to eat at the table with my parents in their home every day). I loved the freedom as a 12 year old kid. Well they sold it and bought a Motorhome, and kept trading Motorhomes for the next 40 years till Camping was only where 40’+ Motorhomes can go. The year I retired, my parents and I ordered two 30’ Classic Airstreams and have loved every moment. My parents are getting older (86 & 87) and they Love their Airstream as much as I do mine. Long story short, the adventure, like the world, is outside not inside. It’s a matter of personal taste and what works for you. The Classic works for me.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Hi WV2017;

I have an interesting side business storing campers and boats for winter storage in Central Wisconsin. I work with about 20 owners and have heard many likes and dislikes. What I have observed and it has been mentioned many times by on this forum. The boxes with all those graphics really look tired after a half dozen years. And the problems stories I heard as we park the equipment for the season run the gamut of problems.

Thanks again for all that have comments. Seems like each touches a cord with my thoughts.
I live in WI, and it may be that AS’rs tend to build storage on site. They don’t need as massive of a place with 14’ doors, etc. I am in the process of buiding a 18x36 Pole BArn for my 2017 28’ international. My first year I had it I stored it inside for the winter. But I have decided that the sun is just as hard on it as the winter cold and ice. It’s also true you just don’t see very many AS’s on the road due to their cost. Our last camping experience had 4 AS’s in the campground. That is very unusual. And again people that buy AS’s tend to have the money to build storage.

I love camping in our 28’AS. We have 24 windows. Feels so bright and light inside. I like its simplicity. No slide outs that could go haywire and not work. Also we like being able to just stop along side of the road. Go back in the AS and just take a nap or have lunch. No slide outs to deal with to get to the bathroom and kitchen.

I stopped at a gas station to fill gas. Guy next to me says, “Wow what a beautiful camper.” That AS will stay that nice as long as you own it if taken care of with wax and washing. How many 25 year old 5th wheels are still going down the road? Lots of 25 year old AS’s. That’s another reason to go AS. It has a quality and style to it that’s iconic.

Ever notice that when advertisers have a truck pulling a camper 90% of the time it is an Airstream?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
The trend in large trailers is to put standard household appliances in the trailer. That means you need battery power to run through inverter to make 110vac.

AS still uses the two way fridge. It works in two modes a. 110vac b. 12 vdc controls & propane.

Mode b. takes way less battery, solar, etc.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I live in WI, and it may be that AS’rs tend to build storage on site. They don’t need as massive of a place with 14’ doors, etc. I am in the process of buiding a 18x36 Pole BArn for my 2017 28’ international. My first year I had it I stored it inside for the winter. But I have decided that the sun is just as hard on it as the winter cold and ice. It’s also true you just don’t see very many AS’s on the road due to their cost. Our last camping experience had 4 AS’s in the campground. That is very unusual. And again people that buy AS’s tend to have the money to build storage.

I love camping in our 28’AS. We have 24 windows. Feels so bright and light inside. I like its simplicity. No slide outs that could go haywire and not work. Also we like being able to just stop along side of the road. Go back in the AS and just take a nap or have lunch. No slide outs to deal with to get to the bathroom and kitchen.

I stopped at a gas station to fill gas. Guy next to me says, “Wow what a beautiful camper.” That AS will stay that nice as long as you own it if taken care of with wax and washing. How many 25 year old 5th wheels are still going down the road? Lots of 25 year old AS’s. That’s another reason to go AS. It has a quality and style to it that’s iconic.

Ever notice that when advertisers have a truck pulling a camper 90% of the time it is an Airstream?
24 windows?? Did you add some new windows to your 28' unit? Ours has 15 windows, plus the door window, plus 2 skylights. I know the International model has 2 more small oval windows above the dinning area windows since no storage cabinets inside above dinning on that model like we have in our FC model; but where are the extra windows to make 24?

As for "gawkers" at the gas station and other places...not unusual to have someone ask, "gee, is that an Airstream? I did not know they still made them or "what year is that?" LOL
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I certainly did not buy a 5th wheel and this *is* an AS forum ( = we likely are a bit biassed). That said, Classic owners are probably outnumbered 1,000:1 by 5th wheel owners. They didn't all just buy one because they never heard of AS ..... Indeed some are unhappy.

You can also find a bunch of unhappy AS Classic owners here on the forum. From listening to people complain here and talking to neighbors in campgrounds, it's not at all clear that as a group AS owners are any more happy. Yes, I'm *very* happy with my decision, not everybody seems to be. Would some of them be happy with any RV? .... maybe not ....

Bob
Old 10-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The logos on fifth wheels are hideous. I wouldn’t own one.
I totally agree with that observation. Thought I was the only one!!
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote