Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Carry a Weapon

Any thoughts out there about carrying a weapon in your AS?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I've travelled solo all my life and have never felt the need for it. The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable was in the US when other travellers felt they needed to speak about the weapons they carry and question me about my choice.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Weapon

Boy, this will get a lot of dialog going. I have a concealed carry permit issued in Virginia and carry a handgun with me at all time when traveling. I check a listing of states that do not allow concealed carry and make sure my handgun is secured when staying in or driving through those states. I have several friends who carry at all time here in Virginia. I do not.
Having a handgun with me gives me a certain peace of mind.
Have at it boys.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ahhhh another gun thread. Always fun to watch.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
hmm. I am not sure where to put the turrets.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Ran into trouble at a local lake one night... Had some guest from the big city that were not happy just sitting at the lake for the night and visit and fish,, They wanted to go to town and party for some time..

Well they were not welcome to the small town next to the lake we camped at and later that night several car and Pu loads of "red necks" felt they would clean up the country and get them city slickers out.. Needless to say they were drunk,, and my friend had a large mouth,,

I dont know the out come if we were not armed,, but after shooting out a few head lights, and about 20 rounds of tracers into the sky, there attitude changed real fast and went home..

Where we live,, we are 40 minutes from any law.. Problems happen in seconds.. We are locked and loaded 24/7..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I agree 100% with the posts above. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
If you feel the need, get a permit to be on the safe side, and carry your weapon. Also good idea of check out the laws of the states you will be passing thru & abide by them. Best not to talk about it tho, here or anywhere else.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Remember what Bambi's mom said...

<Mod hat on>

OK, one thing I ask that you all remember is the Main Rule here: Be Nice. So, as Bambi's mom said, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

Threads dealing with weapons have a nasty habit of turning sour very quickly. Please allow me to assure you all that posts that are not mindful of Rule #1 will disappear and the thread will be locked faster than you could shoot the eye out of a potato.

Thanks for your usual cooperation.

<Mod hat off>
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
The "Sex in the Airstream" thread was more fun, but this should provide some mid week entertainment.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:
If you feel the need, get a permit to be on the safe side, and carry your weapon. Also good idea of check out the laws of the states you will be passing thru & abide by them. Best not to talk about it tho, here or anywhere else.
Know what your doing, and how to use it. Be responsible and safe.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:
The "Sex in the Airstream" thread was more fun, but this should provide some mid week entertainment.
It's all about having fun, being safe, and using protection!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
My belief is these threads should be terminated on first inspection. Carrying a weapon, or not, really has nothing to do with RVing, Airstreaming, or anything. It's an individual choice and each has to weigh their own risks... but...

I have a pistol on my hip 12 hours a day... when I am done work, it goes in the safe and that's where it stays until I go to work again. I understand why people want to have a gun... and I understand that pressure is 100-fold when you've got an environment where your perception is 'everyone else already has one... better be on even terms'...

Alleged drunken shoot outs and 'tracer rounds in the sky' are interesting... I'd have to ask who carries tracer rounds with them... I guess you can always play the 'what if' game... but what if no one had a gun?

Anyway... it's a dynamic that amazes me every time I visit the USA. When I met other cops who ask me why I am not carrying 24/7... and I get it... when you are in a gun-filled environment, it's really easy to get scared. But, I've done fine on dozens of trips to about 35 out of 50 states so far with out a gun.

I guess I'd like to ask an American if it's worth it. Is the right to arm bears... I mean bear arms... worth the social cost when you have so much gun violence... school shootings, work place shootings, that kind of thing. The proliferation of guns seems to do nothing to prevent these events from occurring, and all the 'I'm gun-ready!' heroes don't seem to intervene in these events... it's always the cops or other professionals. Why?

We get lots of US news channels... I don't see many stories about all the 'saves' and 'heroes'... I just see all the accidents, the drive-bys, the postals, the school shootings, the Waco's and wackos.

America has around 90 guns per 100 people... 1st place. 2nd place is Serbia, with 58 guns per capita. I don't know if the real weight of that statement is processed by Americans... you have twice as many guns as a country where the number one past time is genocide.

I know it's all about your 'rights'... I just asking if it's worth it. Do most American's go to sleep confident that they will be the first one to get a shot off if they need to defend themselves? When I am at work, I can do a CQ scenario fairly proficiently, but statistics show that in police-involved shootings, the bad guy almost always shoots first, it's usually dark, and you're usually less than 10 feet apart.

The biggest think that having a gun on my hip gives me, is the knowledge of it's limitations.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
My wife and I had our TV Break Down going thru East St.Louis on New Years Eve at 11:35 pm 12/31/2001.
She called AAA they advised get out of there ANY WAY YOU CAN as they could not get a tow truck on site within 2 hours.
My friend Mr. Glock and his 14 friends kept us company until AAA arrived.
During those 2 hours Mr. Glock had to show his face twice.

All is Well
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
@Friday - well written but IMHO most will never comprehend your perspective since it is buried in logic.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore
@Friday - well written but IMHO most will never comprehend your perspective since it is buried in logic.
Agreed.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

We get lots of US news channels... I don't see many stories about all the 'saves' and 'heroes'... I just see all the accidents, the drive-bys, the postals, the school shootings, the Waco's and wackos.
Some of this is really because the news channels are no longer interested in reporting the news, they want to make the news. Any slant that gets attention or drama will be reported and over reported to exaggeration. I wouldn't watch most news here, between the bias, the editing, the exaggeration and the drive to have the most watched drama, it isn't news any more. It is more like a made for TV drama. Anything that doesn't fit is not aired.

>>>>>>Action
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
It won't do you any good in the Airstream! If your liscensed to carry it concealed, and have reason to do so, carry it.

Read an article recently about a couple who were mugged and hurt badly in a rest stop on I-10 just outside El Paso. They were both liscensed to carry and their guns were in the truck console!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #19
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Anecdotal, infrequently occurring stories are always shared as supporting examples for why there is a need to carry. Sure there are people that frequent situations/scenarios with a heightened risk of firearm encounters, however, the national health statistics reveal you are more likely to know or be someone who has suffered liver damage or a life threatening toxicity from taking acetaminophen (active ingredient in Tylenol) than needing a gun to defend yourself.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Always interesting to hear opinions about carrying guns from people who do not have the "Right to bear arms". Invariably, if a person does not enjoy the same rights, they seem to feel that right is unnecessary.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Closed Thread