Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good to know there are plenty of responsible guns in the campground.

All the more reason to boondock in safer places, perhaps a Mexico border town.

doug k
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #62
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Good to know there are plenty of responsible guns in the campground.

All the more reason to boondock in safer places, perhaps a Mexico border town.

doug k

The thing is....there are a lot more than you could imagine....

Boondocking..yes again choices...isn't America great!!

Love freedom!

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Good thread

Nothing like a good gun thread to get the Canadians all excited. Of course they don't carry guns. Many of my Canadian friends have told me that they can't cross the border with them. You think they camp in Canada, haha!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I have always chosen not to post to the many firearms topic threads, but I will respond to this post. At the top of the comments, in the blue bar there is a drop-down menu titled "Thread Tools." One of the choices is "Ignore This Thread." If you choose that, you will never even see this thread again. I have used it for threads I didn't care to follow in the past.

If this thread bothers you, choose that. Don't call for restrictions on others.
Thanks for that. It applies to lots of topics!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Team America World Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmardigan View Post
Why do I always hear the song "Freedom Isn't free" From Team America world police.
All I know is that I don't have to pack heat while camping in Canada. Nuff Said.
I like that name...Team America World Police. Cool. We are what we are!

And, as posted many times in the past. You do not "have to pack heat" while camping in America either. Freedom of choice. That also is cool.

Ahhhh well, storms look like they have nearly passed thru, dogs have quit barking, maybe I can get a little sleep.
Good night Team Airstream, World Uniters ! (coolest of all, right?)

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Well... I never thought that I would get such a response. I truly appreciate all your thoughts on this difficult topic. The question is about your comfort in different locations - a remote site in a national or state forest - in a truck stop or rest area along the interstate - a parking lot like Walmart or other RV friendly lot. Is a gun the only way to feel safe? How about bear spray, knives, baseball clubs, etc. According to the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986, it permits the interstate transport of firearms in ALL states, with the provision that the weapon is unloaded, locked, and not in the driver/passenger part of the vehicle. More of your thoughts are valued. Keep them coming!!!!!!
The issue with any use of force option is always a matter of whether it escalates or deescalates the situation. Most police officer's tool belts include OC spray (bear spray), a baton (usually collapsable), and a firearm. Many choose to carry a knife. Many are now carrying conducted-energy weapons (Tasers).

When you can't carry all these things, it's easy to fall into the logic that if you have to carry one option, you'll want the one that trumps them all. But, there is a training-mentality that goes with having any tool or use-of-force option... it's not just having it available, it's having the mindset to be prepared to recognize a threat and react accordingly.

My own opinion and experience is that people need to be situationally aware. The example of someone being car-jacked, kidnapped, and robbed brings up two thoughts... how could a person be so unaware of their surroundings that they'd be a victim... and, if that person was so unaware, would a gun, bat, or whatever really have changed the outcome?

To be in a position to use a firearm defensively requires some very unique circumstances combined with situational awareness, and proficiency in use of the weapon. I'm sure sometimes these all come together and an example can be made for carrying a gun.

But, the trade off is having to live your life 'switched on' as I call it. It's how I have to live when I go to work. Every car I stop, house I go to, person I talk to... I am assessing the risk and running the options. It's tiring, mentally and physically. When I am done work, there is always a part of that following me around, but it has to be turned way down when I get home if I want to enjoy my time.

To bring this back to Airstreaming... if venturing out on the road gives you such fear that you can't enjoy it - whether you have a gun or not - what is the point?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
Nothing like a good gun thread to get the Canadians all excited. Of course they don't carry guns. Many of my Canadian friends have told me that they can't cross the border with them. You think they camp in Canada, haha!
The rules in Canada are very restrictive when it comes to hand-guns. To buy any firearm, we need a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) with extra requirements if the firearm is restricted or prohibited (mostly hand guns fall into this category). Long guns are restricted to a 5 shot capacity. No full auto.

The issue you describe is quite the opposite... it is Americans that can't bring pistols into Canada. Long guns can be transported if properly declared.

What an average Canadian may choose for a camp gun is a shotgun... in fact if you use the term 'camp gun', that is what people imagine... a cheap 12 gauge that is most often used for wildlife (bear) encounters. Not exactly something that is easily concealed. Easy to operate, resistant to damage and still works well when rusty...

It is rare for a Canadian police officer to have to draw their sidearm... rarer still to discharge it (at a person)... every single police shooting is national news, and every police officer killed in the line of duty brings 1000's of police from across the country. It's a big deal. Likewise, when a person decides to use a firearm to commit an offence - it's a big deal... they will be the focus of 100% of any and every resource until they are in jail.

This systems works for us... very well. Knock it if you want, and make all the 'dumb Canadian' jokes you like... but I don't think many in Canada want it any other way...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
QUOTE: "The example of someone being car-jacked, kidnapped, and robbed brings up two thoughts... how could a person be so unaware of their surroundings that they'd be a victim... and, if that person was so unaware, would a gun, bat, or whatever really have changed the outcome?"

This could certainly be said for many situations I'm sure, BUT there are also situations that arise suddenly and without warning, situations that may take even the most prepared and diligent person by surprise. That person may or may not have to tool to deal with the situation.
Any weapon is just that, a tool to deal with a problem, either you possess the tool when you need it, or you do your best to never need it. The last post brought up tasers, which might be a good alternative if you (original poster) are not comfortable carrying a gun. They are certainly effective.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
This systems works for us... very well. Knock it if you want, and make all the 'dumb Canadian' jokes you like... but I don't think many in Canada want it any other way...

Woo-hoo Constable Friday, the mounties always get their man.....and make their point! I could kiss you for that~!

However, I don't know about that system always working. Am thinking of the situation here in the Fraser Valley not too long ago where the gangs were shooting it out in front of the local Safeway at high noon. How can Joe/Jane Public be "situationally aware" in cases like that (aside from avoiding every parking lot with a high number of luxury sport sedans being driven by S. Asian/Asian males?)

Those automatic weapons may be illegal, but the gangs seem to have no problem obtaining them.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
If more people were aware of the fine line available at Natural Protection Products, this would be a moot point. Sorry guys I couldn't help myself.
See the "Camping in Bear Country" thread. But seriously,
BTW this can be a never ending discussion. Rather than worry about all of the local laws I would rather just carry something like pepper spray.
This discussion seems to be turning into a tuturioal on gun laws and rights in the US and not about how safe a gun would actually make you. Lots of people like to enjoy their camping with some alcohol so how does this fit into the equasion. Not very well im afraid.
I'm not going to carry a gun because on some levels it changes my expectations of what I want to get out of a camping trip. I guess if I have to take a gun to be safe I won't go.
Dan
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Carrying Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Any thoughts out there about carrying a weapon in your AS?
Vermont has the least restrictive gun laws in the country. Any resident may carry concealed without a permit unless they fall under Federal prohibitions. That being said as a Vermont resident I have no interest or need to do so. However I do like having the choice.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Each individual should expend some effort in educating one’s self about the true facts. Honest and unbiased studies show that there is simply no correlation between high percentage gun ownership and high crime rates. Countries with the highest violent crime rates tend to have some of the most restrictive gun laws. Go look it up. Don’t depend on the biased media, or gut instinct, for one’s “facts”.

If mankind could make every gun on the planet disappear overnight, the fact is that violence would not change. Evil people will still do very evil things, for no discernible reason.

The most obvious answer may not be the correct one.

JD

Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #73
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
My own opinion and experience is that people need to be situationally aware. The example of someone being car-jacked, kidnapped, and robbed brings up two thoughts... how could a person be so unaware of their surroundings that they'd be a victim... and, if that person was so unaware, would a gun, bat, or whatever really have changed the outcome?
You obviously have never ever been in a situation where your life changes in less than 3 seconds. I can not find the words to respond to you politely, so I will just let you continue to live in you imaginary world.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
In the past I never carried and always wondered why someone would. Now approaching 70. Haveing been in some campgrounds around the country that I drove right out of, listening to other travellers about where not to stay, I've begun carrying a shotgun. It's kept in the trailer and never been used except for practice.
Paul
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #75
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Some of these posts saying "if I needed a gun at those places, well then I would not go to those places"

That seem illogical to me,..unless of course you can predict crime. Or see into the future. Camping is safe...Camping is fun,,,but you never know whoor what is out these especially on the road in unfamiliar territory. Breakdowns, wrong turns..even sleeping in a road side truck stop or a rest area ( micheal Jordan's father for an example.

What I am getting at is....this is no longer the 1950's people are out there to hurt or steal from you and if you are elderly you become more of a target....everyoneis a target.

I have been carrying for almost 20 years,,,I don't think...man am I gonna need my gun today? Crimes everywhere.....better put on my bullet proof vest...I don't have one.btw...lol

It has become second nature. It is a part of me like a belt or a wallet. Do I feel like it is needed...most likely not...but as I said before..I am prepared to stop any life threating situation that comes to my door or person. I enjoy life and want to continue to do so. No one in this drug infested,world will hurt me or my family. Call it an odds thing. The bad guy has the upper hand with the element of surprise ....I just like to be prepared and level the playing field. Nothing more.

Again, I do not live in fear,..and if you met me you would Never know if I was carrying or not. That's the way it should be......

Stream safe.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
The fact is,,, the crime areas of our country stem from the fact that evil people are like coyotes.. They like warmer climates and look for easy pray.. One reason Canada is almost in a safe zone of the world and the reasons they feel fire arms are useless...

Anyone driving a nice TV,,, in there upper 50s or later 60s is a push over in the eyes of a few gang members.. Seeing a polished up Airstream and nice TV pulling it is "bling" in there view.. ( flat screen tv,, gps,, Ipad,, wallet full of 100s and a stack of credit cards.. )

So my advice is think like a coyote,, and if you fit the profile a good reason for some type of protection.. As harder times happen,, crack cocaine ,, and other drugs force many other wise good people to do some darn stupid and bad things to others..

Pepper spray,, ball bat,, butcher knife are all better than bare hands but myself I like a safe distance,, 20 feet or more,, and something to throw at them around 1100 feet per second..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Well said, Shane and Sodbust!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
After my last post,, I looked back in my past to another event in the high country of Colo.. Improved camp ground with full hook ups.. Even had a guard at the gate!

That night the group just next to our camp spot got to party up big time.. A few more cars showed up later and it started to get real loud.. I was just about to go over and tone it down a level as I needed some sleep.. Without my help the party settled down 30 minutes later..

That group pulled out a few hours before us the next day,, and I walked over to that camp area and was shocked what I found... Hypo needles all over the ground and stuck into trees.. God knows what they were injecting into themselves,,, and the effects it did... My point is,, at what level would have there good times turned weird and could have become harm or danger to us?

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #79
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The issue with any use of force option is always a matter of whether it escalates or deescalates the situation. Most police officer's tool belts include OC spray (bear spray), a baton (usually collapsable), and a firearm. Many choose to carry a knife. Many are now carrying conducted-energy weapons (Tasers).

When you can't carry all these things, it's easy to fall into the logic that if you have to carry one option, you'll want the one that trumps them all. But, there is a training-mentality that goes with having any tool or use-of-force option... it's not just having it available, it's having the mindset to be prepared to recognize a threat and react accordingly.

In your experience, how can you make this kind of assessment with out knowing the facts?

To be in a position to use a firearm defensively requires some very unique circumstances combined with situational awareness, and proficiency in use of the weapon. I'm sure sometimes these all come together and an example can be made for carrying a gun.

Training is as important as carrying.

But, the trade off is having to live your life 'switched on' as I call it. It's how I have to live when I go to work. Every car I stop, house I go to, person I talk to... I am assessing the risk and running the options. It's tiring, mentally and physically. When I am done work, there is always a part of that following me around, but it has to be turned way down when I get home if I want to enjoy my time.

Are you in law enforcement?

To bring this back to Airstreaming... if venturing out on the road gives you such fear that you can't enjoy it - whether you have a gun or not - what is the point?

It's the same reason for carrying a fire extinguisher.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #80
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
All Over The USA.. , USA
If you carry Car insurance, RV insurance etc... why wont you carry a Gun?
Closed Thread