Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #141
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weatherford , 76086
Machete.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #142
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Action, other stats are different.

Wikipedia article ( Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) says: "There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000. The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides, with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths."

Gunshot injuries, thus, were more than 75,000.

I'm sure other stats are available and Google away for more info. I have to go meet friends, so I'm can't look up more now.

Gene
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #143
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The stats I quoted came from the CDC for 2009 regarding fatal gunshots. A paid entity that collects data. Your 75,000 includes non-fatal injuries. Less than half of that number is fatal. So your data while older and from a source that I would not rely on heavily, back ups my post that over 1/2 of the fatal injuries are self inflicted and if you were to go behind the homicide number you will find the majority of those were inflicted by people that knew each other. (Be careful of whom you hang around with!)

We could compare non-fatal fire arms data to other types of non-fire arms injuries like knife fights or falls down the stairs or a slap in the face or an abrasion. I do not believe that would be relevant because in all cases that person survived.

My conclusion would be it has never been the gun and it is always the person. Bad behavior has been a with us since the begining. So how does a nation regulate the person? This country (USA) thought fire arms was such a big deal that they made reference to fire arms in the initial admendments to it's constitution. In second position no less only behind one's rights to assemble form a religion and speech! I believe it was not put there by accident.

So getting back to the question over 100 posts ago, what about a gun in an Airstream? I guess I am good with it. Because I believe the chances are higher for me to get fatally injured towing an Airstream than for me to be fatally injured from a gun that was carried in an Airstream.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
sex and guns. cool
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #145
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkrichards View Post
sex and guns. cool
If you like them set to music you might like this little video.

I like guns! - YourDailyMedia.com
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Dorchester , Illinois
Used mine as a huntin shack for years-may still have a double barrel carabine in the closet yet (wifey says it's a hunting lodge)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #147
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Traveling.

I carry tools.

All may be useful at the right time.

Delays are only a matter of time . . . where, how, and what are simply to be dealt with.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #148
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
The stats I quoted came from the CDC for 2009 regarding fatal gunshots. A paid entity that collects data. Your 75,000 includes non-fatal injuries. Less than half of that number is fatal. So your data while older and from a source that I would not rely on heavily, back ups my post that over 1/2 of the fatal injuries are self inflicted and if you were to go behind the homicide number you will find the majority of those were inflicted by people that knew each other. (Be careful of whom you hang around with!)

My conclusion would be it has never been the gun and it is always the person. Bad behavior has been a with us since the begining.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action,

The stats I quoted for the most part came from the CDC also. The CDC is a gov't agency, not a "paid entity", but they do collect data. I pulled those stats from Wikipedia because it also included injuries and I think they are important too. The citations for each statistic are in the link.

I think it is the person with a gun. Without a gun, an aggressor has fewer options to injure or kill someone.

Gene
Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #149
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I am reminded of the 2006 satirical sci-fi comedy "Idiocracy", starring Luke Wilson. It depicts what society will look like 500 years from now if these trends continue (Wikipedia provides a description)...sometimes I think we're well on our way...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #150

1971 27' Overlander
Atalissa , Iowa
There are many uses for a weapon aside from harming another human being. I can think of a few times I wish I had my firearm with me and there was no people around. In fact, the best time to carry a weapon might be when no one is around, in other words, when you are all alone or think you are all alone.
My wife and teenage daughter are home alone a lot, they both have access to and know how to use a fire arm.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #151
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wikepedia is often filled with non facts and lies. Be carefull. Sod bust, I agree , I read opinions from some on these forums that scare me and have used that info to decide not to go to very many rally's. I agree with your ideas. Jim
Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #152
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
This thread has gotten too technical, what with arguments about CDC statistics and such; and too Philosophical with quotes and music. It was much more fun when both sides lined up and insulted each other openly. I guess that it is time to go read more "black tank stopped up" threads until things here pick up!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #153
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A duel!! Let's have a duel!!! I will get my gun, oh wait, you do not have one, I win.. Now that's funny. Jim
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #154
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That is how these nonsense threads deteriorate, jim
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
A duel!! Let's have a duel!!! Jim
You know, one of the advantages of the dueling days of yore was that at least one knew exactly who and what was coming at you, and why.

Not always so clear these days who the enemy is.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Not always so clear these days who the enemy is.

Maggie
Unfortunately, it seems in this day and age, a person can be labeled an enemy for merely having a different point of view. Just look a few posts up and now we have a person suggesting he might give up the "Airstream lifestyle" because some here don't share his views.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I totally understand how that conclusion can be made. There are other posts on other thread that make me think, do I want to camp with this person? But that is my decision. I am also sure that that person would not want to camp with me either. Such is life in America that we can make these decisions. We can do our own thing and others also have that right. Jim
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #158
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
One of things that I like about the Forum is I get to meet people—starting electronically and then sometimes in person—that I would not otherwise meet because they come from different backgrounds, have different ideas, dress differently, act differently, etc.

But we do share some of the same concerns and are able to disagree passionately about some things, but do not take it personally and believe it actually enriches our experience. It seems to me we are much more alike than different.

Gene
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The Airstream Lifestyle?

I bought an Airstream to live my life - not buy into a "lifestyle."
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Sodbust, what in the world did your last post have to do with the topic of this thread? Those were some big blanket statements you made, and some downright incorrect percentages, but I won't go futher than that, as it's inappropriate for this thread.

In terms of guns. As Americans, we all have a right to own guns. But, just because we can doesn't mean we should. I personally, regardless of how well trained I were, am not confident that I could look a person in the eye and pull the trigger, so it would be more dangerous for me to have a gun than to not. I try to avoid staying in campgrounds with unruly people.
Closed Thread