Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Carrying Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Any thoughts out there about carrying a weapon in your AS?
Vermont has the least restrictive gun laws in the country. Any resident may carry concealed without a permit unless they fall under Federal prohibitions. That being said as a Vermont resident I have no interest or need to do so. However I do like having the choice.

"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
Old 05-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Each individual should expend some effort in educating one’s self about the true facts. Honest and unbiased studies show that there is simply no correlation between high percentage gun ownership and high crime rates. Countries with the highest violent crime rates tend to have some of the most restrictive gun laws. Go look it up. Don’t depend on the biased media, or gut instinct, for one’s “facts”.

If mankind could make every gun on the planet disappear overnight, the fact is that violence would not change. Evil people will still do very evil things, for no discernible reason.

The most obvious answer may not be the correct one.

JD

Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #73
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
My own opinion and experience is that people need to be situationally aware. The example of someone being car-jacked, kidnapped, and robbed brings up two thoughts... how could a person be so unaware of their surroundings that they'd be a victim... and, if that person was so unaware, would a gun, bat, or whatever really have changed the outcome?
You obviously have never ever been in a situation where your life changes in less than 3 seconds. I can not find the words to respond to you politely, so I will just let you continue to live in you imaginary world.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
In the past I never carried and always wondered why someone would. Now approaching 70. Haveing been in some campgrounds around the country that I drove right out of, listening to other travellers about where not to stay, I've begun carrying a shotgun. It's kept in the trailer and never been used except for practice.
Paul
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #75
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Some of these posts saying "if I needed a gun at those places, well then I would not go to those places"

That seem illogical to me,..unless of course you can predict crime. Or see into the future. Camping is safe...Camping is fun,,,but you never know whoor what is out these especially on the road in unfamiliar territory. Breakdowns, wrong turns..even sleeping in a road side truck stop or a rest area ( micheal Jordan's father for an example.

What I am getting at is....this is no longer the 1950's people are out there to hurt or steal from you and if you are elderly you become more of a target....everyoneis a target.

I have been carrying for almost 20 years,,,I don't think...man am I gonna need my gun today? Crimes everywhere.....better put on my bullet proof vest...I don't have one.btw...lol

It has become second nature. It is a part of me like a belt or a wallet. Do I feel like it is needed...most likely not...but as I said before..I am prepared to stop any life threating situation that comes to my door or person. I enjoy life and want to continue to do so. No one in this drug infested,world will hurt me or my family. Call it an odds thing. The bad guy has the upper hand with the element of surprise ....I just like to be prepared and level the playing field. Nothing more.

Again, I do not live in fear,..and if you met me you would Never know if I was carrying or not. That's the way it should be......

Stream safe.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
The fact is,,, the crime areas of our country stem from the fact that evil people are like coyotes.. They like warmer climates and look for easy pray.. One reason Canada is almost in a safe zone of the world and the reasons they feel fire arms are useless...

Anyone driving a nice TV,,, in there upper 50s or later 60s is a push over in the eyes of a few gang members.. Seeing a polished up Airstream and nice TV pulling it is "bling" in there view.. ( flat screen tv,, gps,, Ipad,, wallet full of 100s and a stack of credit cards.. )

So my advice is think like a coyote,, and if you fit the profile a good reason for some type of protection.. As harder times happen,, crack cocaine ,, and other drugs force many other wise good people to do some darn stupid and bad things to others..

Pepper spray,, ball bat,, butcher knife are all better than bare hands but myself I like a safe distance,, 20 feet or more,, and something to throw at them around 1100 feet per second..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Well said, Shane and Sodbust!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
After my last post,, I looked back in my past to another event in the high country of Colo.. Improved camp ground with full hook ups.. Even had a guard at the gate!

That night the group just next to our camp spot got to party up big time.. A few more cars showed up later and it started to get real loud.. I was just about to go over and tone it down a level as I needed some sleep.. Without my help the party settled down 30 minutes later..

That group pulled out a few hours before us the next day,, and I walked over to that camp area and was shocked what I found... Hypo needles all over the ground and stuck into trees.. God knows what they were injecting into themselves,,, and the effects it did... My point is,, at what level would have there good times turned weird and could have become harm or danger to us?

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #79
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The issue with any use of force option is always a matter of whether it escalates or deescalates the situation. Most police officer's tool belts include OC spray (bear spray), a baton (usually collapsable), and a firearm. Many choose to carry a knife. Many are now carrying conducted-energy weapons (Tasers).

When you can't carry all these things, it's easy to fall into the logic that if you have to carry one option, you'll want the one that trumps them all. But, there is a training-mentality that goes with having any tool or use-of-force option... it's not just having it available, it's having the mindset to be prepared to recognize a threat and react accordingly.

My own opinion and experience is that people need to be situationally aware. The example of someone being car-jacked, kidnapped, and robbed brings up two thoughts... how could a person be so unaware of their surroundings that they'd be a victim... and, if that person was so unaware, would a gun, bat, or whatever really have changed the outcome?

In your experience, how can you make this kind of assessment with out knowing the facts?

To be in a position to use a firearm defensively requires some very unique circumstances combined with situational awareness, and proficiency in use of the weapon. I'm sure sometimes these all come together and an example can be made for carrying a gun.

Training is as important as carrying.

But, the trade off is having to live your life 'switched on' as I call it. It's how I have to live when I go to work. Every car I stop, house I go to, person I talk to... I am assessing the risk and running the options. It's tiring, mentally and physically. When I am done work, there is always a part of that following me around, but it has to be turned way down when I get home if I want to enjoy my time.

Are you in law enforcement?

To bring this back to Airstreaming... if venturing out on the road gives you such fear that you can't enjoy it - whether you have a gun or not - what is the point?

It's the same reason for carrying a fire extinguisher.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #80
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
All Over The USA.. , USA
If you carry Car insurance, RV insurance etc... why wont you carry a Gun?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #81
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Oak Creek , Arizona
According to the latest US Department of Justice survey of crime victims, more than 6.6 million violent crimes (murder, rape, assault and robbery) are committed in the US each year.

Last year, there was a violent crime every 22.8 seconds, and an aggravated assault every 37.8 seconds.

According to the FBI, there are more than seventeen million property crimes such as burglary in the United States each year, including a burglary every twelve seconds and a violent robbery every 70 seconds.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Making fun of the "crime free" Canadians....this is really getting interesting now.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
According to the latest US Department of Justice survey of crime victims, more than 6.6 million violent crimes (murder, rape, assault and robbery) are committed in the US each year.

Last year, there was a violent crime every 22.8 seconds, and an aggravated assault every 37.8 seconds.

According to the FBI, there are more than seventeen million property crimes such as burglary in the United States each year, including a burglary every twelve seconds and a violent robbery every 70 seconds.
As my sense of vulnerability has increased (along with my age), I can honestly say that obtaining a concealed handgun permit, in terms of stress reduction, is one of the nicest things I've ever done for myself.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
This systems works for us... very well. Knock it if you want, and make all the 'dumb Canadian' jokes you like... but I don't think many in Canada want it any other way...

Woo-hoo Constable Friday, the mounties always get their man.....and make their point! I could kiss you for that~!

However, I don't know about that system always working. Am thinking of the situation here in the Fraser Valley not too long ago where the gangs were shooting it out in front of the local Safeway at high noon. How can Joe/Jane Public be "situationally aware" in cases like that (aside from avoiding every parking lot with a high number of luxury sport sedans being driven by S. Asian/Asian males?)

Those automatic weapons may be illegal, but the gangs seem to have no problem obtaining them.
That is a valid example... but the introduction of MORE guns wouldn't have prevented that situation... and may have even increased the damage done.

Someone mentioned, and it's true, that sometimes things are going to happen without warning and for no apparent reason (to the innocent bystander). What can be done about that? Nothing at the time it happens... the change has to come from the justice system that hammers hard on senseless violence that risks innocent people. Biker gangs know this - it's bad news if the hurt a 'dove' in their business, because they know it brings the heat on them hard.