Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
IMO, only carry a gun if you are trained, licensed, know how to use the thing and understand the laws when traveling. If you're a newbie to firearms then keep it locked away at home until you're trained and a dang good shot. Be smart about it. Most legal gun owners are.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas

Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Any thoughts out there about carrying a weapon in your AS?
As you can quickly see, this thread will turn into all of our differing opinions about guns, gun control, school shootings, super heroes, etc..:-)

The bottom line is that , here in the US anyway, it is a personal choice. And as personal choices go, this one can not be taken lightly. So whatever your final decision, I applaud those that think it through very carefully.

Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Even if you do not choose to carry, a concealed carry permit is an excellent form of ID simply because it indicates that you have been thoroughly checked out. At least in TN.
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
You better know each states laws and some cities have very strict gun laws. I always check with state police before I take guns. I do shoot at my property. I know Illinois honors Georgia's gun laws. That is what the Illinois State Police told me.

Brian & Adrienne
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
There are three valid reasons for a law-abiding private citizen to carry a gun: (1) You intend to go to a shooting range, either for practice or competition; (2) You're going hunting; (3) You have reason to fear for your life.

If you feel the need to carry a gun and are legally allowed, do it. If you don't feel the need or the law doesn't allow, then don't. Simple as that, no debate required.

I personally believe that those who are undecided as to whether or not they need a gun probably don't need one, and would likely be hesitant to use one if they carried it. If you really do need to carry one, there would be no doubt in your mind.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
QUOTE: "My belief is these threads should be terminated on first inspection. Carrying a weapon, or not, really has nothing to do with RVing, Airstreaming, or anything. It's an individual choice and each has to weigh their own risks... but..."

This seems unhelpful.. Traveling and safety go hand and hand. Those who are venturing into unknown situations with their Airstream come here for all type of safety advice (be it in the running gear of your TT, where to or not to go, electrical systems, self protection). It seems safety should really top the list.
If people are really debating if they should or should not carry a weapon then asking a community of travelers seems like a great idea. Of course people will have differing opinions, but that should, in theory, help the person who's asking see all sides of the situation and make a decision that works for them. Yes, it's ultimately a personal decision, but seeing all sides can certainly help someone make an informed personal decision.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Well... I never thought that I would get such a response. I truly appreciate all your thoughts on this difficult topic. The question is about your comfort in different locations - a remote site in a national or state forest - in a truck stop or rest area along the interstate - a parking lot like Walmart or other RV friendly lot. Is a gun the only way to feel safe? How about bear spray, knives, baseball clubs, etc. According to the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986, it permits the interstate transport of firearms in ALL states, with the provision that the weapon is unloaded, locked, and not in the driver/passenger part of the vehicle. More of your thoughts are valued. Keep them coming!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
In The Gravest Extreme should be must reading for anyone that owns a weapon, in particular if that weapon is meant for self protection rather than hunting - targets etc. Written over 30 years ago, it is still relevant today....he has also written a number of other books about concealed carry and self protection. Know the facts before you strap it on or do us all a favor and please dont' bother....
1999 28' Safari
2012 F150 Platinum Max Tow 7650 GVWR 3.73 Elec. Locking Diff.(Prev 2003 Dmax).
Honda EU2000i, Equalizer Hitch
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member
1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
I'm the guy that is going to greet somebody packing heat with a big hello and get shot for threatening them and being in there space.

Pack away but what a big responsibility, to much for me. I'd shoot myself in the foot!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
My belief is these threads should be terminated on first inspection. Carrying a weapon, or not, really has nothing to do with RVing, Airstreaming, or anything. It's an individual choice and each has to weigh their own risks... but...

I have a pistol on my hip 12 hours a day... when I am done work, it goes in the safe and that's where it stays until I go to work again. I understand why people want to have a gun... and I understand that pressure is 100-fold when you've got an environment where your perception is 'everyone else already has one... better be on even terms'...

Alleged drunken shoot outs and 'tracer rounds in the sky' are interesting... I'd have to ask who carries tracer rounds with them... I guess you can always play the 'what if' game... but what if no one had a gun?

Anyway... it's a dynamic that amazes me every time I visit the USA. When I met other cops who ask me why I am not carrying 24/7... and I get it... when you are in a gun-filled environment, it's really easy to get scared. But, I've done fine on dozens of trips to about 35 out of 50 states so far with out a gun.

I guess I'd like to ask an American if it's worth it. Is the right to arm bears... I mean bear arms... worth the social cost when you have so much gun violence... school shootings, work place shootings, that kind of thing. The proliferation of guns seems to do nothing to prevent these events from occurring, and all the 'I'm gun-ready!' heroes don't seem to intervene in these events... it's always the cops or other professionals. Why?

We get lots of US news channels... I don't see many stories about all the 'saves' and 'heroes'... I just see all the accidents, the drive-bys, the postals, the school shootings, the Waco's and wackos.

America has around 90 guns per 100 people... 1st place. 2nd place is Serbia, with 58 guns per capita. I don't know if the real weight of that statement is processed by Americans... you have twice as many guns as a country where the number one past time is genocide.

I know it's all about your 'rights'... I just asking if it's worth it. Do most American's go to sleep confident that they will be the first one to get a shot off if they need to defend themselves? When I am at work, I can do a CQ scenario fairly proficiently, but statistics show that in police-involved shootings, the bad guy almost always shoots first, it's usually dark, and you're usually less than 10 feet apart.

The biggest think that having a gun on my hip gives me, is the knowledge of it's limitations.
The absolute best discussion on this topic I've seen anywhere.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Is a gun the only way to feel safe?
Of course only YOU can answer that question for you. Clearly a lot of people travel without a gun, all over the country (even into Mexico and Central America) and feel perfectly safe in the world, and nothing bad has happened to them, which justifies their position.

Other people aren't happy unless they have a loaded weapon on their hip 24/7, and nothing bad has happened to them, and so they feel it justifies their position.

You see, really it's up to YOU, and how you view and interact with the world.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #40
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I live like the boyscout motto.."always be prepared" that means every way possible from flats to road hazard plaquared sign to protection.

I am thankful in this great land we live in, we have a choice.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #41
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I live like the boyscout motto.."always be prepared" that means every way possible from flats to road hazard plaquared sign to protection.

I am thankful in this great land we live in, we have a choice.

Nicely said Shane.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Carrying a firearm tends to set aside sensible choices. No matter how "proficient" you are, they are a risk to innocent people and yourself.

I grew up with firearms, used them in a 30 year military career, but wish people would leave them at home.

doug k

Closed Thread