Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #161
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't mind having a vigorous debate about national policies as Sodbust did in #148, but wasn't this thread about guns?

You can start a thread about the topic in #148 but I'll bet the mods shut it down pretty fast (politics). But go ahead, see what happens.

Gene
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Can I borrow someone's gun? The dealership is still holding my trailer hostage. Ten days without my beloved FAN - I can't take it anymore. Maybe if I show up packing some...whaddaucallit..."heat"???

On second thought, maybe not.....
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #163
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
You'll shoot their eyes out!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
You'll shoot their eyes out!
Well, as long as I don't damage a trailer....
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I don't know Gene, I thought they were going to shut down the Bear thread.
These discussions are good sometimes as long as they don't degenerate into petty name calling etc. Sometimes though people will defend a position even when all evidence suggests it is wrong. Being defensive is a natural reaction for lots of folks and knowing that is a very good tool when you are negotiating with them. I'm mostly enjoying this thread. You could cut a swath through this country based on guns, guns and abortion pretty much have become the great social divide of the 21st century. People will not budge. Look at the Senate.
Dan
Dan
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is Mother's Day, so let's all try to play nice.

Life is too short to let yourself be thin-skinned and easily offended.

We are all much more alike than we are different, that is what is so fascinating about human behavior. The differences, however, are what make the world go round and meeting new folks so enjoyable.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I always enjoy these firearm threads. Firearm threads do bring out emotion, insult and anger.

Kinda amusing when you figure a firearm by itself is neither good or evil. It's an Item. I'm as nervous around folks whose response to a firearm is fear or anger as I am around those that fondle them with lust.

The misconceptions and re definitions of types of firearms is always entertaining too.

Having trained new and advanced civilian and LEO shooters and competing in pistol. rifle and shotgun competitions for the last 25+ years I've seen all types.

Today firearms are used for war, hunting, sport and self defense. before the firearm all these activities were done with other weapons. People before firearms stabbed, clubbed, speared and beat each other everyday.

The only real difference between then and now is that an aged, slight built, ill, or weak person can defend themselves with a firearm like they could not have done against a stronger person in the pre firearm past.

Don't want a gun? Don't have one. It's your choice but let everyone else decide for themselves.

Cheers

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #168
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi Goin camping, I like your post..."wraps it up and puts a bow on it", if you ask me.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I keep a machete in my AS. It is a tool, but I suppose it could be rather persuasive if it needed to. there is also a very interesting provenance that goes along with it...a great campfire story.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I am going to give my opinion on this topic because it is one I am passionate about. That being said I am not going to get into the argument if we should be allowed to carry, democrats vs. republicans, dark side vs. jedi, etc. I am going to give my views and some of my experiences I've had while carrying a weapon. If you don't like my opinion, it won't hurt my feelings but I will not resort to personal attacks on you and I expect the same in return.

I have been around weapons my entire life and I have been carrying concealed for the past 10 years and have had to draw on three separate occasions where someone tried to rob/carjack me in nice areas. Thankfully I didn't have to use my weapon on them, but I have also used weapons in combat in Afghanistan and know what it is like to actually do so. I am one of the many who was able to protect themselves because I was carrying a weapon.

If you are going to carry a weapon, know how to use it. Practice how to use it and carry it. If you are going to need a weapon then you will need it when you least expect it so I always keep mine close by. Situational awareness will get you out of most bad situations more than a weapon will so stay aware of your surroundings.

Don't have an ego if you are going to carry. I have had people try to pick fights with me while I am carrying a pistol and I just walk away. NEVER use a weapon to try and win an argument because you'll end up with a felony against you.

Using a weapon on someone in a situation where it's your life or theirs is easier than most people realize. It's dealing with the after effects that are harder, trust me. Being prepared mentally will help you with that, and knowing the gun laws/ lethal force laws in the state you're in will help if you have to use a weapon.

Bottom line is that if you cannot take a life then don't carry a weapon. Not everyone can and that's ok. If you do carry a weapon then get all the training you can.

I carry a weapon because I don't have a police officer following me everywhere I go to protect me, and I refuse to be a victim.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And of course another point if view.

Have your guns, I have mine and know how to use them. But I do not believe it is appropriate to bring them to the campground.

If you must, then bring them. But don't suggest that its a good idea for all. They may not have your skill and sound judgement.

doug k
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
There are lots of people over the years I've met who I would have liked to have shot including both of my brothers. Instead I've fought both of them even as adults. Last time it was over shares on a fishing boat. I was walking away and my brother threw a Sockeye Salmon at me and hit me in the head. If I would have had a gun I would have emptied it on him. Instead, I just beat him up. These are the kinds of situations that worry me about people carrying firearms with little or no training. Sometimes your emotions get the best of you and you react with whatever you have. Proper training both in firearm safety and situational specific stress training and you can pack all you want.
Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms out there no matter how you feel about this.
Dan
Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #173
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Smile Debate

Kinds reminds me of the diesel vs. gas or the 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive arguments, er debates er discussions.
Glad I live in a great country where I have the rights , ability and wherewithal to do as I chose.

Take and God Bless.

Hickory
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
As FLMarine touched on, an interesting paradox is that walking around with a handgun in your pocket would contribute to making a person more aggressive, but in reality, the opposite is true.

Since obtaining my permit, I'm MUCH more sensitive to situations that could potentially escalate in to some kind of confrontation (including road rage), and I simply walk away, so to speak, because I'm acutely aware of the consequences.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #175

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

The topic of guns, or in this case weapons as it relates to the RV lifestyle is allowed here at Airforums. Like tow vehicle and hitch selection though, the topic always elicits strong, emotional replies and usually requires site team intervention to keep things on topic.

We post reminders to keep things on topic and civil, and remove inappropriate material. While this thread fared better than previous ones along the same subject line, the Site Team has determined that the OP’s original question has been adequately addressed and that any further discussion is better suited to forums dedicated to the subject of weapons, or self defense. As such this thread is closed.

On behalf of the Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread