Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #381
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
It's really unfair for me to have an opinion on the time and energy it takes to buy a chair for the campground. I'm the guy who went to town last month to get his Ford F150 Ecoboost washed, couldn't find a suitable car wash, so went to the Ford dealer and drove away with a F250 Powerstroke Diesel. For me, it's usually always about the destination and little about the journey. Regrets? Sometimes. Happy? Always. Impulsive? YES
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #382
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
^^^^ Now THAT is how you wash a truck!!! Like a boss!!!^^^^

-Red, wishing he could "wash" his truck...
Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #383
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Slow mover - given my wife not liking this one I may have her test that one out for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Chairs are cheap even if they aren't the suspended sling too many find acceptable. I can't sit in those at all. I did few weave a few of the old aluminum folding chairs my folks all through my childhood. Got a few more years out of them.

Never too many outdoor chairs around a house or a campsite. Have fun with experiments.

As a side note I went out to a friends parents ranch years ago after his father had bought out the others. We wandered the property and its half dozen dwellings and counted twenty seven BBQ grills. My favorite was the he grill bed in the engine compartment of an old VW. Easy access to the smoker by opening passenger door.

Go easy.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:59 AM   #384
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just wondering were the Ashtrays dirty
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #385
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I want a VW bug retrofitted as a smoker!! Lol

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #386
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Searching through the brush and looking out for "Grandad" (easily the largest live rattlesnake I've ever seen; he was everyones favorite rat killer, thus prized) while finding those old grills made a memorable day. The VW wasn't the only funny as heck grill.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #387
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
An update:

The helinox one chair is such a winner for me

I've used it now on a couple night bank fishing trips and even sitting on a very soft bank - it settled in comfortable and I sat for a couple hours in comfort with no back pain.

I was able to take my larger tackle bag - take out usual boxes - pack in the chair - a small hard box with limited needed tackle for cat fishing - a 20oz insulated canteen - a coupe snacks - bug spray - and I was packing very light

My brother toted a more traditional style beach type chair with shoulder straps and his fishing bag.

I just got to use the helinox on my weekend local camping trip in our AS - I think my AS neighbors after trying it may get a couple as well - I was able to tote that chair for fishing on the bank

So far it's held up - in less than 2 weeks I will try it out on the beach with perhaps a couple tennis balls on the feet as a replacement for my beach chair...

Old 04-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #388
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Just pur. coleman director chairs at walmart for $29.95 on sale these also have fold down side table. Wife likes a plus because she doesn't like canvas camp chairs, they are going in garbage can. Or taking to rally & giving away
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #389
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Just pur. coleman director chairs at walmart for $29.95 on sale these also have fold down side table. Wife likes a plus because she doesn't like canvas camp chairs, they are going in garbage can. Or taking to rally & giving away

I made the same mistake about 5 years ago. No testing, nothing. Just bought them and used them. Pretty soon they might ware out and I will have to get new ones. But now I know the "best practice" for next time. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #390
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Just had 2 of the Strongback Elites delivered and spent awhile set testing them out back around the fire pit. Very comfortable. Like the taller back since I'm 6'4".
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile chairs

Quote:
After getting chairs home not satisfied with flimsy construction as they wiggle when sitting in and afraid will collapse on uneven ground, would like some thing sturdier. Wife and I want this style of chair so if any one has better chairs please pm me or my email is bill73r12gmail.com. I have sat in some nice chairs at forum rallys, if not buying before spring rally in May maybeI can find a good chair then. I have 90 days to return but do not want wait that long to return or if any one has pur. these and they have held up post that or contact me. I have been hurt 2 times w/canvas chairs, no more. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #392
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
WOW... so glad I discovered this thread. I haven't begun to sort through all the pages, though.

Is there any consensus on what the top of the line camp chairs are? I've never sat in one that I felt was something I could comfortably hang out in for hours on end.

We will soon be in the market for a pair of luxurious camp chairs/recliners and they will be carried in the truck bed, so we don't have to have the most compact design, nor the lightest weight. And we're willing to spend good money on them, if the comfort is there. I'm 6'1 185 lbs and the wife is shorter and lighter.

Given this, what would you recommend we look at?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #393
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Has anyone tried the zero-gravity folding recliners they're selling at Sam's Club these days? IIRC they're priced at around $70 and come in tan, melon, or teal.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Do great recliners exist that are truly deeply padded and cushy/comfy, rather than just flat, smooth vinyl/polymer fabric, suspended by twine, and 'hyped' as the best, luxury seating?

I don't mean to be overly critical, but so many chairs, recliners are billed as being luxurious, but really, are they? Are the $250-$300 recliners truly luxurious in comfort or are you just paying for steel tubing and the same old unpadded, flat-finished polymer fabrics?

OR, is there a huge, looming elephant-in-the-room named "Opportunity", for someone to create a deeply padded, luxuriously comfortable, zero-gravity recliner that is folding and can be stowed in the back of a pickup?

I'm not jonesing for a new business venture, late in my life, but I have to wonder if great opportunity exists here? Perhaps I am the only one in this quest. OR, I just don't know about THE great portable recliners that already exist in the marketplace?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
WOW... so glad I discovered this thread. I haven't begun to sort through all the pages, though.

Is there any consensus on what the top of the line camp chairs are? I've never sat in one that I felt was something I could comfortably hang out in for hours on end.

We will soon be in the market for a pair of luxurious camp chairs/recliners and they will be carried in the truck bed, so we don't have to have the most compact design, nor the lightest weight. And we're willing to spend good money on them, if the comfort is there. I'm 6'1 185 lbs and the wife is shorter and lighter.

Given this, what would you recommend we look at?

DHart,
I think that you already have the perfect camp chair. 6'1" & 185 lbs is an enviable condition that may be partly due to the inability to "hang out in for hours on end" in your current camp chair. Har har. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #396
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
After getting chairs home not satisfied with flimsy construction as they wiggle when sitting in and afraid will collapse on uneven ground, would like some thing sturdier. Wife and I want this style of chair so if any one has better chairs please pm me or my email is bill73r12gmail.com. I have sat in some nice chairs at forum rallys, if not buying before spring rally in May maybeI can find a good chair then. I have 90 days to return but do not want wait that long to return or if any one has pur. these and they have held up post that or contact me. I have been hurt 2 times w/canvas chairs, no more. Bill

I sat in one at Walmart a little while ago- very uncomfortable-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The entire purpose of Wallmart and Sam's Club is to provide the absolute cheapest whatever. If it's a "name brand" such as "Sony," "Charmin" or "Chicken of the Sea," that's fine. But if it's some no-name item like a camping chair, you can be sure that it will be the absolute cheapest piece of crap that you can buy at any price.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Camping with some friends this past weekend. That had a pair of these. I was surprised how comfortable they are.

Coleman Comfort Chair

http://www.coleman.com/Product/2000020292#.VSmA8Ir3anM

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
The entire purpose of Wallmart and Sam's Club is to provide the absolute cheapest whatever. If it's a "name brand" such as "Sony," "Charmin" or "Chicken of the Sea," that's fine. But if it's some no-name item like a camping chair, you can be sure that it will be the absolute cheapest piece of crap that you can buy at any price.

Coleman is still a respected brand in camping equipment, but those chairs are just not comfortable. They may be high quality and last forever, but I didn't like it.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Camping with some friends this past weekend. That had a pair of these. I was surprised how comfortable they are.

Coleman Comfort Chair

Coleman - Coleman - comfortable camping chair - coleman camping chair - Comfortsmartâ„¢ Suspension Chair
------

Looks intriguing...ill have to find some of those to try out.