Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
San Jose , California
This is only semi-related, but Amazon has a deal now where if you spend $100 or more on Coleman products (some of the coolers and chairs mentioned above qualify) you save $20.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Those pico telescoping chairs are nifty - gold down to a lap top size - those would store wonderfully

So many options and it seems difficult to find places to actually sit in many of the options
I just looked at the Pico video on the net and it does look like a cool chair. Wonder what the quality/ sit-ability is like?

Cheers
Doug

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mini Pocket Chair - Portable, Foldable and Convenient! - YouTube

heh heh

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I just looked at the Pico video on the net and it does look like a cool chair. Wonder what the quality/ sit-ability is like?

Cheers
Doug

of course that is the lingering question...

I am not an engineer...but somehow to me looking at the design (GCI and others make their own version btw) it seems more rock solid than the standard umbrella folding camp chairs...but that is my intuition and looking at the components and videos alone...they look pretty sturdy to me...but I could not be totally sure about quality...

This option is a very good one for easy storage..hoping gander mountain today has a variety I can sit in and try and see how they feel...

Old 06-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
Check out Kermit chairs. They're beautiful. Somewhat of a cult following among some of the adventure riders on advrider motorcycle forum. Pricey, and I don't care for having to purchase a leg extension kit, but def worth a look. Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair
I agree. I have 2 Kermit chairs and their table. I don't think you can find a more compact chair when stored that also is as comfortable. Expensive but will last a lifetime.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I have 2 Coleman lightweight folding chairs and they are great. Very comfortable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
of course that is the lingering question...

I am not an engineer...but somehow to me looking at the design (GCI and others make their own version btw) it seems more rock solid than the standard umbrella folding camp chairs...but that is my intuition and looking at the components and videos alone...they look pretty sturdy to me...but I could not be totally sure about quality...

This option is a very good one for easy storage..hoping gander mountain today has a variety I can sit in and try and see how they feel...
It will be interesting to see if you can find this chair and actually try it out. I look forward to your report if you get lucky.

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I went to gander mountain...their zero gravity chairs were I think perhaps on the cheaper quality side (80 bucks) - evidence of this was a broken part on the floor model..

Their reclining folding chair variety was pretty nice with high enough back to support neck and head in a reclined position....but the back is not designed at all to be very ergonomic (although still fairly comfy) - vs. the lafuma cham elips has a contour to it that I think will possibly prove more supportive of the lower back - the lafuma is only 10-20 bucks more so worth trying out...REI has a version as well..but it looks the same as far as the back.

They also had some directors chairs, but not the pico telescoping variety...I kinda like the director's chair...its not really all that nice for laying back and reading in or lounding in for very long, but pretty comfy, and if one of those telescoping ones, then the size to pack it is awesome.

I also like the look of those lafluma transabed models....I am going to call lafuma and ask more about this one...it appears to fold down nearly flat (especially the middle portion, not so much the frame) - this would easily stow in my truck bed taking up little real estate for 1 or two of those chairs - wish there was a place I could try em out...otherwise I may order it through homedepot (i spoke with them today) and try and return if not like (Ill need to be rock solid on their return policy).

I am hoping camping world up the road from me will have some stuff I can try in their store as well....sucks I cant just try all these in one store

Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Camp Chair Mulling

Quote:
I went to gander mountain...their zero gravity chairs were I think perhaps on the cheaper quality side (80 bucks) - evidence of this was a broken part on the floor model..

Their reclining folding chair variety was pretty nice with high enough back to support neck and head in a reclined position....but the back is not designed at all to be very ergonomic (although still fairly comfy) - vs. the lafuma cham elips has a contour to it that I think will possibly prove more supportive of the lower back - the lafuma is only 10-20 bucks more so worth trying out...REI has a version as well..but it looks the same as far as the back.

They also had some directors chairs, but not the pico telescoping variety...I kinda like the director's chair...its not really all that nice for laying back and reading in or lounding in for very long, but pretty comfy, and if one of those telescoping ones, then the size to pack it is awesome.

I also like the look of those lafluma transabed models....I am going to call lafuma and ask more about this one...it appears to fold down nearly flat (especially the middle portion, not so much the frame) - this would easily stow in my truck bed taking up little real estate for 1 or two of those chairs - wish there was a place I could try em out...otherwise I may order it through homedepot (i spoke with them today) and try and return if not like (Ill need to be rock solid on their return policy).

I am hoping camping world up the road from me will have some stuff I can try in their store as well....sucks I cant just try all these in one store

I just appreciate you doing all the hard work and saving us that time, though each person's tastes and needs vary. It would be so much harder for me, because any store like that would be an hour or more away. 😒
Old 06-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Lafuma

We have owned Lafuma chairs and have always been impressed with the quality and comfort. Ours are older models that do not fold up very compactly so we got the Strongback for use on the road. If you find a Lafuma model that you like and that you can store, you won't go wrong.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh, yeah, I know everyone will vary on their tastes...and that makes since in this case...soooo many factors....space, weight, intended use, aesthetics, ergonomics, cost, etc etc...

not as important in this thread to identify the "best" chair...but to identify known factors for consideration for all individuals...

Nearly all of the chairs we discussed I have been very much impressed with...

I just spoke with a representative from lafuma....they said that the transabed when closed, the bars height is 7 inches...but that the entire center has no bars and only space is the fabric and the head cushion.....so possibly could pack nicely in truck bed and stack stuff on it with minimal real estate taken up...

the mulling continues

Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We have owned Lafuma chairs and have always been impressed with the quality and comfort. Ours are older models that do not fold up very compactly so we got the Strongback for use on the road. If you find a Lafuma model that you like and that you can store, you won't go wrong.

Saw you just posted this...spoke to lafuma...I am quite sure that the transabed will store just fine...very possible I will now order from home depot and give it a shot....if like, keep, if not return....

Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I ordered a single transabed from homedepot to deliver estimated next week...ill post photos in the different positions and other photos and feedback once I get it and try it out....there is so little on this chair as far as reviews, youtube videos, etc...we shall see...I double checked home depot online return policy and exceptions....30 day return policy (that was the exception for furniture, 90 day otherwise)...

I think if the wife and I love these we will use them and supplement later with the pico style as money trees re-grow....my other concern with this chair is how it will function for just haning out and talking with folks...one review online said it was good for this purpose (as opposed to the zero grav type) so we shall see...but still is a bit more laid back than a very upright style chair...which I am ok with...I think..we shall see

Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
My favorite outdoor chair is a butterfly chair, yeah, the boomerang shaped iron thing with canvas. We'd take the frames in our pickup when taking the Airstream out, but now I'm looking for some good folding ones. We have other very nice folding camp chairs, but the butterfly chairs are the most comfortable for lazing around the campsite or camp fire, imho. Folding butterfly chair - TheFind