Old 06-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
My mother has a pair of Zip Dee chairs that have to be nearly twenty years old, so they do last. However, I find the bar across the seat at the front of the seating area to be very uncomfortable so I don't use them anymore. We've had our Strongbacks for a couple of years now and they are way more comfortable than the Zip Dees and are still going strong. I would suggest that you sit in a chair for ten or fifteen minutes (at least) before you buy, or make sure your retailer has a generous return policy.

Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Our Zip Dee chairs are 25 years old and still are fine. The main reason I like them is they fit in the storage area behind the stove that Airstream put in for them. The down side of the Zip Dee chairs is that they are pretty heavy and not real comfortable. I have not found a camp chair that is truly comfortable yet. We use the folding chairs the roll into the little bag and come from Walmart for our travel chairs. 2 in the trailer compartment and 2 in the truck. I can sit about 30 min in them.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Best chairs around

It's a personal choice but we also needed good quality chairs that folded up and we're light weight. We got our new AS last fall and set out searching (meaning sitting) in chairs from Target to Home Depot to REI and landed at Summer House and found their Kettler line perfect. We got 2 with pads...perfect. if you get a chance try these out. Http://
2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin
2014 Ford F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost w/ max towing pkg
oh, and Cleo the wonderdog
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Oh the coolers.

Cute story. We had a Coleman personal 18 we got for a wedding shower gift. Great cooler. Lid locked on. Didn't leak. Perfect size for a footstool or seat. And 2 liter bottles could fit in it. It got left behind at a volleyball gym, and we never found one that could meet it's qualities.

Then 2 years ago, about a week before leaving for our 25th anniversary trip to Yellowstone, well, we decided to look on Ebay. Found the EXACT same one. The seller got it to us right before we left. They even still had the box and the little brochure in it. So, if you like vintage, you may be able to get just what you want for the same cost or lower than a new/lesser build.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Bought a couple of these rockers for $45 each last year and really like them: Prime Products 13-6506 Elite Arizona Tan Rocker Folding Chair: Automotive

Sturdy and comfortable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	213845  
John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
On a whim, we stopped in to LL Bean today and were thinking of their version of the zero gravity chairs. They had the strongbacks on the floor and WOW!!! Most comfortable camp chair I've ever sat in! We bought a pair. Best of the best from my perspective!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - you all are giving a lot of excellent input - I hope to slip out for lunch tomorrow and sit in some chairs and report back!

Coolers? Oh man oh man - cannot discuss it. Do not plant such seeds you deviants
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We have several Zip Dees. One pair is over 30 years old and holding up fine. I like the compact size when folded. Our son is a soccer player and we have been through tons of the other folding chairs at soccer tournaments and games. Nothing has held up like the Zip Dees. This is one case where you truly get what you pay for. As to cup holders, they do sell a plastic cup holder that clips on just under the armrest
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
One has got to love this Forum. Where else can one read in one place so many reviews from coffee pots to folding chairs for camping and everything else in between such as generators, lanterns, grills etc. No doubt we are a very passionate group regarding our camping toys.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Check out Kermit chairs. They're beautiful. Somewhat of a cult following among some of the adventure riders on advrider motorcycle forum. Pricey, and I don't care for having to purchase a leg extension kit, but def worth a look. Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair
Skooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
umbrella folding chairs from Costco

I bought two umbrella folding chairs from Costco for something like $25 or $50 each. They're a little heavier than our previous ones (Kroger, $9) and don't fold down as small. But they fold into a cylindrical shape about 4" in diameter, and they're very comfortable. Me, I can't see spending much more than that or giving up more space. Just a personal thing.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
thanks again for more input...

I am going to swing by a store called "gander mountain" here in Tuscaloosa today...they seem to only carry their own brand chairs..will check those out...then swing by another store near there that lists as a zip dee chair seller from the zip dee website...
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #41
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
We have the Zip Dee chairs and like them for use in and around the trailer. They are heavy and do not fold down as well as bag chairs, however.

This year I bought a "Travelchair" which is supposed to be an improvement over the discount store bag chairs. Quality is better but perhaps not enough to justify the price.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I will look for myself but I'm fairly skeptical about the price tag of the improved type chair like you mention but some appear much much more comfortable and some may have better build quality....maybe...skeptical....the Eureka appears to have more metal articulated joints as opposed to plastic bit still plenty of things to break on it...

Those pico telescoping chairs are nifty - gold down to a lap top size - those would store wonderfully

So many options and it seems difficult to find places to actually sit in many of the options