Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I watched a couple youtube videos of those kermit chairs....and you know what...I was really impressed...the leg extensions seem weird and breakable to me though??

I did not give them much more play in my mind because it did not match what I was looking for...that is something really darn comfy by not a la-z-boy....but if I am un-impressed by the lafuma...I am forgetting zero gravity and reclining chairs alltogether and just will buy a couple chairs for basic and comfortable sitting....

The kermit chairs would be extremely attractive to fit that bill because they fit other bills...including bringing on a short hike...or on a bike...or for extremely easy storage freeing up space...

They do seem quite solid and while the pico type chairs would be a contender against them, they are perhaps a bit heavier and do not break down that small (although the pico chairs are much easier (relatively) to break down/put together than the kermit chairs).

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I like the looks of the Kermit chairs but damn they are expensive as I would need the extensions for the legs. Tough to justify
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #183
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I did not give them much more play in my mind because it did not match what I was looking for...that is something really darn comfy by not a la-z-boy....but if I am un-impressed by the lafuma...I am forgetting zero gravity and reclining chairs alltogether and just will buy a couple chairs for basic and comfortable sitting....
If you do end up giving up on the zero gravity chairs the I would recommend the Strongback.

Strongback Chairs — The most comfortable folding chair
Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
So where does on find the lounge extension for the Zip Dee chair? How much are they?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
how much for the chairs ? how much for the extensions??

Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you do end up giving up on the zero gravity chairs the I would recommend the Strongback.

Strongback Chairs — The most comfortable folding chair

If I give up on the zero gravity, I may just sit on a stump

I will def. keep this chair in mind...all the plastic joins worry me a bit, but I am 150 lbs and wife is light as well so I suspect it would be ok...but if I need not worry about lounging, then this could be a nice comfortable ergonomic alternative and keep my back happy as it is quite tempermental with developing tension with any slouching.

I noticed even with the target zero gravity that I still wanted just a couple inches of extra lower back support and that did the trick and was quite comfortable...I hope this back stuff does not evolve over the years to more than this...it is only occassionally annoying for me and I have made things much better by making sure I support my back while watching TV at home and doing better with posture at work...those bag chairs while camping though are just what my back cannot handle.

I get the new chairs from backcountry friday afternoon.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
One of my patients told me the other day about an inflatable soft bladder thingie that can strap onto chairs for support...going to look one of those up as the pillows are often too thick

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I'm a serious fan of millet-filled and buckwheat hull-filled pillows and back supports. Bucky makes several nice back pillows. Here is the one that I purchased:

Beau Microsuede Neck & Back Pillow | Back Pillows | Neck Pillows | Travel Essentials | Bucky.com

Note that you can adjust the amount of support that the pillow provides by adding or removing some of the millet-fill inside.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #189
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I don't think you will find a portable chair that stores as compact as a Kermit and is as comfortable. You get really good at putting them together quickly after doing it a few times. I can assemble/disassemble one in a couple of minutes. The leg extensions store in a separate canvas bag. The extensions are very sturdy and allow you to sit close to the ground when not used or sit higher up when installed. If you are sitting on an incline, you can put only the front ones on and sit level. They are expensive but will last a lifetime. Owning Kermits is sorta like being in a cult which reminds me of another cult like following ie., owning a certain aluminum travel trailer we are all part of. Expensive yes but owning the best is sometimes worth it.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Zip Dew has a website.
I don't know where to buy them in person.
Amazon?
We use Amazon often because we are geographically shopping challenged- i. e.- we live in a Podunk town with only a Walmart and 100 miles from anything else. Online is often the way to go for us .

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
If I give up on the zero gravity, I may just sit on a stump

I will def. keep this chair in mind...all the plastic joins worry me a bit, but I am 150 lbs and wife is light as well so I suspect it would be ok...but if I need not worry about lounging, then this could be a nice comfortable ergonomic alternative and keep my back happy as it is quite tempermental with developing tension with any slouching.
I weight 225 and have not managed to break the Strongbacks! I do hope you find a good ZG chair however, since I would like to get one as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sitting here in an old cheap sling chair thinking, "It's mostly comfortable, but the canvas material sure is rough on my elbows. Maybe I just have sensitive skin."

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #193
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
This is a discussion I have looked forward to reading everyday! I showed my sweetie the Kermit chair website and he said, "Yes...those are the one's for us!" So,he ordered chairs (in red to match our awnings), extensions, table, and of course the wine glasses! This is our birthday present to each other. Can hardly wait for them to arrive.
Victoria

P.S. I will keep on reading this thread as is downright FUN to follow
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama

Hey - y'all need to share prices on this Kermit chair

Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
What a steal Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403830769.806980.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	214982

Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
That Futura Clipper looks nice Pharmgeek, in mesh, right? They make a good product.

I will tell you that for those looking for a comfort chair, that Eureka Highback Curvy is one to check out too. Not a recliner but it is comfortable and big (tall) with nice head and neck support. Weighs 12 lbs, holds 300 lbs. They make a lounger too but I am not familiar with it but it has the same weight limits. The arms are low and padded. The back extends about 4" above my head when sitting.

Hey, just looked at those strongback chairs WOW. look nice. The Eureka does not have the curve but it does have a tall X brace in the back that matches the lumbar area so that the sagging is minimal.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Sitting here in an old cheap sling chair thinking, "It's mostly comfortable, but the canvas material sure is rough on my elbows. Maybe I just have sensitive skin."
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yep - did mesh - in black

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1403834040.149954.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	214985

Mine in XL - wife same one in standard size

Tomorrow night and I'll be trying it

Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The proper way to sit in a sling chair:
Slouch-
Turn sideways-
Put one elbow in the cup holder-
Throw opposite leg over the arm of the chair like you're at home in the recliner-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Mine in XL - wife same one in standard size
Congrats on your new purchase! I hope your chairs arrive soon, and that you and your wife love them.

What made you decide to go with the Futura Clipper vs. Lafuma's other zero-g models? I'm trying to decide if the horizontal support between the sides at the bottom of the legs or the other support between the top sides of the backrest will be digging into my feet and my head. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

Also why is the Evolution version so much more expensive? How about the "Air Comfort" version of the Evolution - "The" Mac Daddy of their line-up . It is even more pricey! I'm wondering what you get for the extra money besides the elimination of the two supports that I'm concerned about.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote