Old 03-03-2018, 05:57 AM   #15
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My only regret when buying our new AS from the dealer was in not doing a serious PDI. Being neophytes, we thought it was an opportunity to learn how everything worked, not realizing it was also our responsibility to look for, find, and document flaws for the dealer to fix before accepting delivery.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsjms7 View Post
This probably isn't the normal inquiry, but I've never ascribed to being normal. I'm just about ready to push the button on a new 30' FC and a new F250 diesel.

My question is have any of you made the decision to buy and then regretted it? I realize that most of the people that have had this experience are no longer part of the AS community, but I'm curious if any of you know of anyone who made the decision to buy and then changed their minds and why.

I appreciate any feedback.
Depends on your background.

Iím of the camp you work up to an Airstream, as in itís too big of purchase and commitment for someone who has never RVíd before.

We started in a popup and by the time we bought our Airstream, we knew for sure it was the trailer for us.

On the flip side, there are 1 year old trailers on the market for a reason. I have seen huge mistakes, $200k Class A used less then 5 times then go unwanted. Wasnít for them. So if there is any question, I would wait until you know for sure it is what you want to do.

An RV is a very bad financial investment, but a very good lifestyle investment. Make sure the lifestyle is for you. Not only the glorious destinations, but also all the work and expense of RV ownership (which in my opinion you should enjoy as well).

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
An RV is a very bad financial investment, but a very good lifestyle investment. Make sure the lifestyle is for you. Not only the glorious destinations, but also all the work and expense of RV ownership (which in my opinion you should enjoy as well).
These words should be blown up and posted above the entrance door to all dealerships. Well said.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
No regrets or remorse.... but we grew up camping (tents and small campers) and knew it was something we loved. Given life status (i.e. still working), we started with a used trailer and an old TV - has worked out splendidly for us. Thoughts about upgrading equipment are ever present, but donít make any sense until such time we are retired and likely to get more use.

The pleasant upside for us was the AS community we discovered after buying, including our local AS club.

Weíve doubled-down since the original AS purchase 4 years ago - spending far too much on an RV shed to store it all safely.

Good luck with your evaluation of life priorities!

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Start using both as soon and as much as you can. There will be some minor annoyances but no regrets.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
that's a large purchase! If you're pushing yourselves to the limit financially, you may have some regrets? Even if you got plenty of money, no one likes to see an expensive mistake. Maybe rent one & do a week-long road trip to get a real feel for the AS/RV life ... Everyone here loves it, but it's not for everyone that's for sure. Some prefer not to tow and like an RV. Not for me, but I can see the benefits of driving a "home" on wheels.
I was a very naive buyer, hadn't even found this forum before purchasing my 1972 Sovereign ... it could have been a disaster not really knowing what i getting into, luckily, it was OK, but I was very ignorant to the true costs of renovations etc.
My other slight regret was buying a 31' model as my kids were getting older and now are doing their own thing, we've had a few wonderful trips but in hindsight, when they're gone I don't need this sized trailer. I'll probably switch for a 26-28' .... but then does a few extra feet really make that much of a difference? The interior room & storage is amazing and at some point, I intend to "live" for short periods in it ... I'd really like two unit's one of the extended living trips and one for quick getaways where space and length restraints more important.. whatever you get, life is short, enjoy every moment, life is for living NOW!!, not waiting for those "golden years".
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
Lone Star Piper

2010 25' FB International
2017 30' Classic
Terrell , Texas
The only regret we had was selling our 1st Airstream and purchasing a 5th Wheel. It took almost 3 years before we were able to rectify that mess. There are a lot of opinions about justifying the cost of an Airstream, but there is absolutely nothing else comparable. Good luck with your decision and happy camping!
lonestarpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #22

london , Ontario
Hard to find a good used AS in Canada

Hi everyone we are having a hard time finding a used AS looking for a turnkey,hitchup and go. If we where to buy new how much of a discount should we expect is fair for price off of MSRP.
chaindragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bought the wrong floor plan while overseas. Traded that 2013 25FB International Serenity in on our 2014 31' Classic. Then we added a 2015 23D International Serenity we use for short rallies while the Classic is on location at our summer location in the mountains.

We started RV towing with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI turbo-diesel but it was challenged by the 25FB. Acquired a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins and that took care of towing the 25FB and then the Classic. I still have the Mercedes and it now tows the 23D just fine.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Depends on your background....

Not necessarily. As I wrote in my "Sticker Shock....." thread, the Airstream dealer said I could sell the FaN for what I paid. Why? Because I bought it off-season and saved quite a bit of money. The prices in Canada have also jumped dramatically because of the low Cdn. $ and general rise in RV prices.

If that indeed pans out in a resale, I've had a lot of fun and adventure -- for nothing -- other than the loss of any monetary investment income, which I do not regret. Do you think I am going to be thinking about bank interest and mutual fund portfolios when I'm on my death bed? I will be wistfully dreaming about the times I hit the road with the FaN bobbing happily behind. Young. Healthy. Fearless.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
OK, I'll own it: I screwed up.

My ex-wife and I had had a F-150 with a Lance camper. My sweetie and her ex-husband had had a number of RVs, the last of which was a 45 ft Prevost. She and I began looking for an mid-size trailer, and I finally got a 32 ft Forest River 5th wheel with 2 slide-outs and a Ram/Cummins 2500 to pull it. Our first trip was from home, in the Seattle area, to Billings, MT, to attend a wedding of one of her relatives. We got over the Cascades, into eastern WA, and stopped just over the WA/ID border in Post Falls. I turned to her and said, "This isn't feeling comfortable to me. I feel as if I'm towing a cage of elephants." She agreed. We talked back and forth and finally decided to turn around and drive back home. We got home that night, missing the wedding.

The Seattle RV show was several weeks later. We went. There was the local AS dealer with several ASs. "Oh, my! Aren't they cute!!!", she said. The next weekend, we drove to the dealer to "try them on." I thought from the brochures a 23 would work. When we were in one, the salesman said, "Let me show you our 25." That seemed to be around the right size. Then he said, "Let me show you our 27." My sweetie, after getting in and looking around one, said, "This is it! I want the North/South bed; making the bed next to the wall in the other ones would be a pain." We also looked at the 28 and the 30 but preferred the 27, without the center dinette across from the galley. In two seasons, we've put 30K miles on our 27. Occasionally, I get the urge to look more seriously at the Classic 30s, but I resist. The 27 seems a great compromise for us & our Great Dane. And as for another 5th wheel: Fuhgeddaboudid!!!

Bottom line: I lost around $10K on my 5th wheel mistake, although the dealer who took it in on the AS 27, Toscano, in Los Banos, CA, gave us a remarkably decent price for it.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #26
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Another buyer's remorse: I wish we'd added 400AH of Lithium (LiFePO4) batteries and 400-500 watts of solar when we bought Rocinante at the end of 2013 instead of waiting until next month to have AM Solar add those features to our trailer. OTOH, by waiting, we've scored much better batteries, electronics, inverters, and so on.

At the moment, we're still saving a ton of money by investing further in Rocinante instead of buying a 2019 version of her.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #27
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I was suprised on how much you need to learn if you do not have an RV background. I also suggest to budget an extra six grand for all the little and big things you will need to make for successful trips. No regrets!
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #28
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
When I bought my 1983 310 turbo diesel, I found sub-floor rot, leaks, broken and leaking rear air bag system, a couple electrical gremlins, etc, etc. It did bring on a mild panic attack and a sense of regret, brought on by a lack of knowledge; but money, research, a whole lot of determination, and a willingness to NOT to fail has given me an incredible appreciation for my ability to see a project through to completion and peace of mind, knowing that I know a lot more of every system, and sub system, than I would have if I hadn't of fixed things myself.

It has been one of the best purchases I have ever done.

Be prepared to fix things, even on your new trailer; and if you can resist the temptations to having others fix things for you, by fixing things yourself, you will know more about your trailer, (and truck).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote