Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Bunk Bed/Crib?

Has anyone ever done up a bunk bed or crib area in an Airstream? I We have a 16 month old and want to have a safe place for the tittle tyke to sleep.

About to buy a 25" International.

Thanks in advance!
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadRik View Post
Has anyone ever done up a bunk bed or crib area in an Airstream? I We have a 16 month old and want to have a safe place for the tittle tyke to sleep.

About to buy a 25" International.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 31 foot 2002 ASCL which OEM sleeps 4. I needed it to occasionally sleep 6 so the Dealer (CanAm RV) used a 1970’s (I think) Airstream’s bunk setup. It incorporates per bunk 2 AS cables which attach to AS aluminum ceiling fixtures and 2 AS wall brackets. One of the bunks is hung/supported above the front couch and the other over the credenza. The bunks fold in half longitudinally for storage. The Dealer R&R’d the bunk canvas covering material to match the AS interior.

If you need photos please advise.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Oh how that brings back memories. We had a 1969 31' with center twin beds that had a bunk above each. They were attached just as you have described. The front couch made into a double bed, so we were able to sleep Mom & Pop and the 4 kids. However, I would not suggest this for a 16 month old child. Needs to be someone old enough to be out of a crib. The youngest two slept on the top bunks. Eventually they became too big to sleep up there, but by then the older two were not always traveling with us. As the older two left the nest, it was a very simple task to remove the canvas bunks.
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of something that restrict him from rolling out.
Thanks for you comment!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We have been traveling with our newborn and she has been sleeping in our bed (husband was forced to take the couch). We've taken a little hiatus from traveling right now while I adjust to being a new mom and have also been trying to figure out a crib for when we are back on the road. She'll be 8 or 9 months when we get back on the road. (6 mos now) So, I'm interested in this thread, too! If you find anything or have any tips, please let me know. My husband is considering building something so she doesn't roll off. The other option is just lowering the table and putting a travel bed in that spot.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
We used a co-sleeper for our first boy. It fit perfect in the isle and kept him close. We got it at babies R us. It folded up so small it was easy to stow.
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
>The other option is just lowering the table and putting a travel bed in that spot.<

That is exactly what we are thinking.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
We've used a Pac n Play for our grandchildren when camping in the pop up. It fit right between the benches of the dinette. Folds up very compactly. Haven't had a chance to use it in the AS but I think it would be fine.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
We used a pack'n'play as the bed for our youngest up until the middle of last year. Our 27' Overlander had enough room in the front for the pack'n'play and the front gaucho to be pulled out (where the oldest kid slept). At some point about last summer, the two kids started sleeping together in the front gaucho at night. For nap time, the pack'n'play still came out as it served as a means to separate the two of them. They had a tendency to play together rather than nap if the pack'n'play wasn't up. At night, they were tired and it was dark, so they went to sleep (usually) OK.

This year, the pack'n'play is staying home in the attic! The point here though is that the "baby" years are temporary. Any permanent modifications to your trailer for a baby will be removed in a year or two. I'm now starting the process of building a bunk in our mid-bedroom area so that one additional person can travel with us (grandma, kid friends) or so that if the kids don't want to sleep in the same bed, they don't have to.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #10

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I have a '95 Classic 36 motorhome and would LOVE to take out the loveseat and put some sort of bed/crib in place of it.... so, I'd love to see pictures of any setups that anyone is willing to share. As was stated in another post the "toddler" years are short so we're looking for something that will serve the purpose for the next year or two.... after that she can sleep on the pull-out couch like a "big girl"!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We built a bunk room in our 1989 excel 29. We have seven kids, so now each has his or her own individual bed. Ere are photos on my page. My uncle and aunt had a hanging infant bed on eir sailboat which would rock, the babies in the family all loved it. And pack and plays come in many different sizes, so look at various travel bed till you find something that will fit.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
With our 68' 27' overlander we crafted a "bed bumper" out of 1.5" PVC pipe - bunch of 90 degree elbows and straight pieces, glued into a "fence" with no more than 6" between the "pickets" to keep our youngest from falling out or getting his head stuck - sanded and painted a reasonable color with safe paint - you inserted 3 arms on the bottom under the mattress on the curb or road side and the weight of the baby and the mattress held it in place - they sell something similar for beds at home that go on both sides of a mattress and connect underneath - you could use 1/2 of one of these with the side wall of the trailer protecting the opposite side of mattress.

Candidly it has been easiest for us having 3 kids grow up so far in airstreams, that you find a compact pack and play that can easily be set up on the floor away from stove knobs and other hazards but narrow enough to allow adults to get around it - they make a pretty narrow version available on most kid store web-sites - babies r us etc.

We set up our standard Graco pack and play and place it smack in the middle of our queen bed with pillows around the bottom sides to increase stability - then when we are done playing cards etc on the dinette later in the evening we typically have to pull kid out of his bed, semi- collapse the pack and play and move everything into "living area" with rest of kids. Hope that helps - pack and plays are handy with a 16 month outside under the awning weather permitting - can enjoy the scenery without crawling off.....
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Arvada , Colorado
We used the folding portable crib method, it was quick, easy, and could be used in the house as well. Great that you're traveling with your kids!
jenner 515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Lodi , California
Bunk bed

With three kids ranging from 3 to 13 we had to make accommodation that worked for us. We built a bunk bed over one of the center twins (framing is in the pantry and closet and the bunk is ~3 inches from the wall to allow for the window latches to be open and closed. The teen is big enough that he wont roll out the window!

Grandma comes along with us so that means sleeping 6. We put a gaucho from another airstream where the other twin goes to make a double.

Ours does have the wall bracket and roof brackets for the navy canvas bunk but when we hooked the cables in the roof brackets the ceiling flexed (we have the cables but no bunk-photo below is from the interweb).

Initially we thought about the overhead compartments for a crib (the little one is petite) or a large pet crate. Just Joking. We usually bring her Dora fold out couch(she is quickly outgrowing this) and put it on the floor next to us at the front full size gaucho bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	140602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	140603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6573.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	140604  
triterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
We just got the Eddie Bauer version that has the fold up seats. The plan for our 18mo is to fold up the bench by the door and deploy the pack n' play.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote