Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Bug out fast in emergency

I have a lot of friends here on the Forum and just thought I might tell them and others about how the Airstream can help in an emergency.

Mine is a wildfire situation. We had a lightning strike about 4 miles from the house on Aug. 3. It grew fast and went to a type 2, then 3 fire. 350 people working on it now. Storm blew up and the fire blew up on Tuesday afternoon, and backed down to within a half mile of my house. Evacuation, on Tuesday and I took little with me but the new Airstream, left the Argosy and everything else to fate. It was very very scary how fast thing changed, they thought probably 4 to 6 hour evacuation notice, but the storm changed that to half hour max.

The Airstream, even unpacked gives me a place to stay at a Forest Service Campground about 25 miles away, out of the smoke. I was able to get some food, they let me back into the house to pick up the garbage bag of clothes I tossed together and then left in the entry hall.

The Tuesday blow up came very fast. I had fiddled around way too long, suddenly the fire was here. Pack at the first sign of trouble, put food in, clothes, water. Hitch up, be ready to roll in 10 minutes.

Don't screw around with things in an emergency. It is only stuff. Leave, NOW. Take the Airstream if you can. Get out, save yourself and anyone else around you, stuff is stuff, it can be replaced.

Right now we are in a lull in the fire and they let me back into the house. I am taking the Argosy this time and two fire fighters are assigned to my house and one neighbor house. They think all will be OK. Everyone has been helpful and nice. If I hear anyone trashing the Government after this experience, they will get my wrath. I have never seen more helpful people and more concerned people. They are setting up a portable gas fire pump as I type this.

So, use the Airstream as your escape vehicle if you can, otherwise just get out. It is only stuff.

More as it develops. I won't be posting much as I have no net service or phone service at the remote FS campground I have moved to.

Thanks in advance for any positive comments, I may not get back to you right away.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Glad you're doing well all things considered. Sounds like good advice too.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How awful. Glad you are safe.

We had a thread late last year on putting together a bug-out bag, for just such emergencies.

Fortunate we are to have what amounts to a second home that you can take with you.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 08-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Hope your home survives the fires.

We have been thru that drill as well here in Colorado. We now have 5 or 6 boxes packed in the garage that contain irreplaceable items, photos, home inventory and personal records. They are marked with big fire stickers so I know what to grab. That and grab the computers and a few clothes, hitch and go. I wouldn't bother with food and water, you can buy that once you get out of the evac zone.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That sounds terrifying! Glad you are in a safe place and were able to get some of your stuff out. Wildfires are really horrible, and the guys who fight them are the bravest dudes out there. Stay safe, and best wishes for your home!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Glad to see YOU are safe...

We live a bit inland on the east coast so we don't have much to bug out from, but we still use our campers as "safe" houses. Ice storm and the power goes out, move to the camper for heat. Summer tornado, camper is parked in a overbuilt building, move into it when the power goes out.

Airstreams are great escape pods!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I made a point of setting up my Interstate as a bug-out vehicle, which included trading in my OTHER car for a toad to pull behind my Interstate so I don't have to leave one behind to bug out in the other.

I actually consider myself fortunate to live on the Gulf Coast, where at least our natural disasters come with a couple days advance warning. I hope I never have to bug out with less than an hour's warning!

If you ever think you'll need to use your Airstream as an evacuation vehicle, it's worthwhile to stock it with a few days' worth of clothing and non-perishable food, and leave the stuff in there all the time, along with some bottled water (since you don't know when you'll be able to fill your fresh tank). And always make sure your tow vehicle has more than half a tank of fuel whenever you park it, so that during an evacuation you don't have to hunt for fuel until you're well out of the danger area.

I'm not looking to rehash the bug-out thread, but I don't recall if the fuel issue was mentioned on that thread, so I figured no harm in mentioning it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hope you and your neighbors all come out ok with the fire. Living in a known and proven hurricane zone I keep my trailer semi-loaded and ready to go. Grab a few extra clothes, perishable food and I am ready to go. I also have a couple of Wise 14 day ration buckets in case of emergency. I keep my holding tanks empty and refresh the fresh water every couple of weeks. 10 gallons of fresh gas in two cans. Self protection grab bag is ready to go. I can be on the road in less than an hour if the need rears it's ugly head for what ever reason. Not technically a "proper", just prepared.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Wow, amazing stories. You guys out west are facing these fires quite a bit lately. Scary!
About the only disaster we have here in Iowa is a tornado. In case of severe weather we go underground, and hope it misses us. No use bugging out.

My Airstream hat is off to you guys in fire country.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A quick update as of Sunday morning. We are allowed back in our homes, as long as we are willing to leave in a few minutes. The fire probably will move down to the forest face across the river from me, or they will deliberately set it off, due to danger of it going rogue or wild. I have a fire truck and two guys in the driveway for protection of my home and one neighbors home, all the homes up and down the road have similar coverage, pretty fantastic we all think.

I am not staying, other than to pick up a few more things and do a load of laundry while here. Then back to the Airstream. I guess I will go on a boon docking trip to Glacier Park area where I have more friends. I want to be out of the smoke.

With all the coverage and protection, I feel pretty good that my home will still be here when I return. Things around may look different, but even that is ok. I don't ever want to go through another Tuesday afternoon again, so if the fuel load is reduced, and it looks a bit different, so be it.

They are doing a fantastic job of a very difficult fire in a very very difficult terrain. And no fire has burned through here in 100 years , so there is a huge fuel load.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you are interested in how this type of fire in managed, here is last night's "fact sheet"

<8_16_factsheet_pm.pdf>

Oops, won;t work.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Scary stuff, sure do hope all is well when you return.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
It sounds to me like your life is about to take a turn for the better.

This might be an interesting opportunity to pick out a decal or emblem to decorate your new bug-out vehicle with. It will keep your mind busy now, and make for good laughs when the fires finally die off:

I vote for Keep Calm and Bug Out
Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
I vote for Keep Calm and Bug Out
"When in doubt, bug out!" It even rhymes.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote