Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
It's true, it's not the ultimate deterrent but some kind of deterrent. It's one reason I've been not so quick to shine up our trailer, I didn't want to attract a lot of attention to it. If someone really wants it, with a flat bed truck, which, cargo helicopter or whatever, they'll get it. The tweaker with a truck and a hitch will have a more difficult time.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
How will that stop a determined thief that arrives with a tractor-trailer and a winch?
Nothing will stop a determined and competent thief. The best you can hope for is to slow him down long enough to make other targets more worthwhile to him.

If you have solar power to keep your house batteries charged, or routinely store your trailer where you have access to shore power, the best deterrent is an alarm system. In particular, one of the newer systems that, in addition to a loud and obnoxious noisemaker with its own lithium-ion backup battery, also has a cell phone auto-dialer that will send a text message to your phone when the alarm is tripped, giving you a chance to call the law before the thief gets away.

One nice system is the Pro Tec PTS-2C, which automatically locks the trailer brakes when the alarm goes off, and will automatically send a text message to up to three recipients telling you the alarm has gone off.

The alarm system has the advantage that it not only help protect your trailer from being stolen, it also helps protect it from being vandalized or broken into. The motion sensor will even let you know when one of the tires goes flat, if it's set sensitive enough.

For the noisemaker (horn or siren), mount it on the roof of the trailer so it's harder to disable. Find a location on the roof as far as you can get from the door, trailer tongue, or rear bumper, in other words the least accessible spot on the roof.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
How will that stop a determined thief that arrives with a tractor-trailer and a winch?
A boot will not stop this type of theft either. Tire will slide.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would only consider a boot for storage. Too heavy, and unless someone is camped really remotely, the neighbors and CG personnel deter more trailer thieves than any lock. I've never been concerned about theft at a CG. Storage....that's another story.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
We were visiting in England a few years ago. We were stunned to see that most caravans (travel trailers) in England were 'sporting' boots. My cousin has their caravan booted AND it was stored in their front yard behind a locked gate!

Neil
Either the theft rate is really high there or those folks are really paranoid. You should see the lengths they go to for locking down their motorcycles. Things like immobilizers buried in the concrete floor of their locked and alarmed garages. I'd be thinking it's time to move somewhere else !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
As we heard of a hitch being stolen right off a rig at a campground, we lock our hitch to the trailer. With the stabilizers down and usually a couple boards under wheels for leveling, and then the bikes chained to the Airstream, it would not be easy to steal it.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do keep the hitch locked, the compression anti-rocking thingy between the wheels locked, and when I feel necessary a large cable lock through the wheels of the AS. The longer it takes for suspicion of others, that it just doesn't look right that those folks are cutting locks, the better.

For true remote boondocking, not sure that much would help.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Take it from someone who's had his Airstream stolen. Do everything you can to protect your trailer from theft. They are irreplaceable and there's nothing like having something that you''ve worked hard to restore or purchase disappear. That picture of the tongue lock that Allan posted is worthless and gives a very false sense of security. Had one on my trailer and a swift blow with a sledge hammer probably knocked it off in seconds. I'm sure a boot would have helped. If you are stupid enough to store your trailer where people can drive be and admire it (like I was) then you really should put a GPS tracker on it along with any other protection you can afford.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
The "Mega Hitch" was mentioned on this this forum before. They also have the specific one for the Airstream w/stand. Megahitch trailers locks

FreedomRider
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I guess you could also put a LoJack in your AS