Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The ideal size of your television depends on how far away it is. Look at the diagonal measure of the screen, compared to how far away you'll sit to watch it.

Minimum viewing distance is twice the size of the screen. Maximum is five times the size of the screen. Between these limits you'll see the best picture quality. So for a 32" screen, your best viewing distance is somewhere between 64" (5'4") and 160" (13'4") away.

If you're closer to the screen than twice the width of the screen, then your eyes will be able to see better than the picture's resolution on the screen, and the image will look worse than it really is.

If you're farther away than five times the width of the screen, then your eyes won't see well enough to take full advantage of the image quality, and the picture will look worse than it really is.

You can work it backwards, too. If your favorite TV-watching chair is 10 feet (120 inches) from the television screen, then you'll see the best picture if the screen is at least (120¸5=) 24 inches diagonal measure, but no more than (120¸2=) 60 inches diagonal measure.

That's for normal vision, of course. If you're farsighted (somewhere between 20/20 and 20/8 vision) and watch without glasses, you'll be able to sit farther away in proportion to your visual acuity. If you're nearsighted, you'd have to sit closer in proportion to your lack of visual acuity.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Airstreamer dreamer...

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
I'm interested to hear more opinions on this as well. With our hope to be full-time down the road, and my love of film, I wouldn't mind a bit more screen real estate. I love a good movie night, and I'm perhaps a bit spoiled with what that means at home compared to what it will mean when living in a much smaller space. I was thinking a 32" would seem like just enough for viewing from the L-lounge.

<tiny_rant>I get a little bummed when folks soapbox in threads and reply with something akin to "just go be outside more, it's a camper," et cetera. This tread was a specific request on upgrading to possible new television sizes, not a general query for opinions on the necessity of television within a travel trailer.</tiny_rant>

Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Yes it's camping, but in the fall, there's this thing called FOOTBALL!!!! It's a bad addiction......worse than chick flicks for females.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
YIt's a bad addiction......worse than chick flicks for females.
THAT is debatable! At least football gives you equal parts of crying and cheering, depending on whether you support the winning or losing team. Chick flicks just give people a good cry, without the cheering!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
When will AS install a imax/pano window system? When energized it will play imax surround screen video, power off, ma nature, , ,
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Airstreamer dreamer...

Currently Looking...
Fort Worth , Texas
Oh! Maybe using the new tech of those flexible, clear displays that I think I saw LG playing with. Yes please That could be snazzy.

Sent from the Šther
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I have a 50" in mine. Love every minute of it. Of course I am full timing so my rational is a bit different than a weekender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	219311  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I'm interested to hear more opinions on this as well. With our hope to be full-time down the road, and my love of film, I wouldn't mind a bit more screen real estate. I love a good movie night, and I'm perhaps a bit spoiled with what that means at home compared to what it will mean when living in a much smaller space. I was thinking a 32" would seem like just enough for viewing from the L-lounge.

<tiny_rant>I get a little bummed when folks soapbox in threads and reply with something akin to "just go be outside more, it's a camper," et cetera. This tread was a specific request on upgrading to possible new television sizes, not a general query for opinions on the necessity of television within a travel trailer.</tiny_rant>
I'll concur with that sentiment. I haven't had cable TV since 2007. And for the first 3yrs of marriage we didn't own a TV and people still think we're weird for not having cable.

We are fans of Netflix and movies though. And like you, we plan to full-time. Which means more time spent inside the Airstream.

Because we're purchasing a slightly older Airstream, the unit has a 20 inch LCD, and I plan to replace it with a larger unit and ditch the one in the bedroom.

I'll follow up on this thread, because I think I might seriously pursue my idea of mounting it vertically when not in use.

Of note, and something I didn't see mentioned here, has anyone considered replacing their unit with one that is better on energy? I'm going to be looking into finding an LED unit that offers the best in quality at the lowest wattage with a slant towards boondocking.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #23
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
32" it is!

Alcoa Roller, that is really cool!

Just for an update, we have purchased a 32" LED plus a full-motion wall mount. It will get installed after we finish some of the renovations. I'm amazed at how little power the newer 32" TVs take compared to even slightly bigger ones.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should get a pure-sine inverter to power the TV while boondocking. On sale, the inverter costs more than the TV & mount together! Of course I might need a new DVD player to boot!
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Maybe the size is not the only item to consider. In my new Serenity I will probably replace the television in the living area with a slightly larger unit, as large as will fit and of a different brand so one remote will not trigger both televisions. Another change will be to raise it about 8 inches higher so I do not have to look down my nose so much when in the recliner. No doubt a sound bar will be added to improve this aspect as well.

Once the main tv is replaced, it goes to the bedroom to replace what is there. And again I will raise the bedroom unit from hip level up about 15 inches.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote