Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Beware, Beware, Beware!

Hey Guys,

I've had my Internatonal 25' CCD listed on the Forum Classifieds less than three days and I have already been contacted by three obvious scams and one offer to broker the trailer. The scams all want my Pay Pal account # so the can send me the asking price. No desire to see the AS or any questions asked. Maybe she is just that nice they don't have to ask anything. Seriously, I've never had this happen before in this amount.

>>ron<<
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, that has become a big problem here with no requirements to either post adds or inquire about them. Lots of crooks out there just looking for suckers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
A long time problem with Kijiji. I hadn't heard that it was happening here too. Darn.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
and do not accept checks for more than the asking price with a request to refund the difference
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I really dislike that there is no post limit to post in the classifieds. At least require someone have 5-10 posts.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyV View Post
and do not accept checks for more than the asking price with a request to refund the difference
Yes it's unfortunate these days that you have to check on the cheques, as even what seems like a bonafide "certified cheque" can be bounce and declared NSF. I have even heard that transactions through Paypal, if the person sending you money declares a "fraud" has taken place, can have the transaction reversed and keep the item.

A bank draft or bank cheque is my preferred method of guaranteed money in my bank, as it is the bank that the bank draft is written from that is sending you money. Once a bank draft is given to the recipient it cannot be reversed.
As the old saying goes..."If it is too good to be true, it isn't".

Also be aware of advertising for a wanted item as there are people out there scamming people looking for desirable or hard to find items. The scammer will tell you that they have the item and even send you pictures but will only deal in cash. Send the cash and they will not send you anything, their address being a mail drop box or warehouse.

Be safe, Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
And even better way to complete the transaction is at the bank. Let them receive the funds that way your account is safe and sound. Did this with a sale of a boat and pop up camper when they wanted to pay cash.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Carver 1... try the "risky" Craigslist under RV's.

I had two legitimates buyers. Four lookers and ignored the replies that wanted to know if I could ship it Priority Mail immediately.

I still sell items on Craigslist, but am always aware of possible scammers. Western Union transfers are permanent. Everything else... you have NO control unless at your Bank or Credit Union.

Sold the 23 footer for $27,450 to the first customer. The second waited in my garage waiting for the first deal to fall through. This was in Denver, last Fall.

Slympicins is correct. That is exactly what we did and did all of the paper work with a notary to add.

I have a "certified cashiers check" for $2,450 sent Fed Ex next day from Virginia, on an College check in California and wanting the "overpayment of $1,450 sent Western Union to Florida for $1,000 of Books, technical Geological Sciences to a Children's Orphanage (somewhere). The local police said there is nothing they could do, the college said thanks for letting them know, and the "customer" would email and someone would leave a phone message up to the time they figured the "certified check" had bounced and the scam was completed.

It was even a very poor quality forgery to begin with.

Somehow they do get some people to follow through. I kept this as an example of how easily scammers have no fear of law enforcement and nobody seems to care to track anyone down.

I have been in the buying and selling business for decades. You develop a smell test and like Slympicins... YOU pick the terms as the Seller... not the customer.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Scammers

Having sold a moho, several motorcycles, and cars via various trade publications, I can attest to the large number of scams one runs into. In fact, i have about $35,000 in fake cashier's checks, the ones sent and then they ask for a refund after shipping is calculated.

Then there are the ones who want to broker the deal, promising they will give you all the best. And, the best way to figure all this out is to do a Google search for "Company X Reviews" and one will quickly discover the bad eggs. One company kept calling, asking for about $400 to advertise, was going to put the add in at about 25% higher price than the market was showing, and all but "guarantees" a sale immediately. Most of the reviews showed this company did almost nothing for the $400 and in fact would ask for more money to "update" or "upscale" the ad.

I do all my business at my bank, and any negotiable paper is cleared by my bank by calling the bank upon which the instrument is drawn. It can be noted the phone number on a check is NOT the one to call, but instead the phone number on a bank website. The numbers on the fake checks are usually cell phones but when answered they will sound like the bank. And, they will of course guarantee the check...LOL

So, the scammers are numerous, on smaller items it seems like the Nigerians love to make offers. One camera I had for sale was responded to by two Nigerians and the address was only a block apart. In an email I suggested they get together on their scam techniques.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
This tactic was actually started in Nigeria. They made tons of money on unsuspecting honest people. I had someone here who recently sold a high dollar guitar amplifier and followed the buyers instructions. Two weeks later the bank told him the check was no good. He had shipped the amp and the balance of the check. Needless to say he felt horrible. Craigs list has many horror stories such as this. Selling cars is big too. We had a middle age woman beaten in a parking lot by buyers, or so she thought, while trying to sell some jewelry on Craigs list. BEWARE of these thrives.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
A bank draft or bank cheque is my preferred method of guaranteed money in my bank, as it is the bank that the bank draft is written from that is sending you money. Once a bank draft is given to the recipient it cannot be reversed.
As the old saying goes..."If it is too good to be true, it isn't".
Not true according to my bank. Deposit the draft or bank check and wait your bank's recommended time for it to clear ... YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
In most cases the ABA routing number will be forged as well and the cashier's check will be accepted, money placed in your account, then once the check is determined to be fraudulent, the money is withdrawn from your account, often about three weeks later. Of course with the Nigerian scam, you have sent them the "overpayment " via money order, only to discover the fraud after your money is gone.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
Yep. That's how it works. To us it seems simple to understand and wonder how folks could fall prey to such a thing. Good honest people just don't always see the bad in folks and those are the most likely prey.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have sold RVs, Cars, Boats and Motorcycles on the net through various sales avenues. In every post I state CASH ONLY. No pay pal, no checks and certified checks - US Cash is small bills ONLY.

I have never received a scam email I am aware of, and sold all items within a responsible period of time. Now as a caveat to this, the IRS has looked into my cash deposits at our bank, but a phone conversation and a copy of the bill of sale to the IRS so far has sufficed.

I meet the people at a neutral spot I pick. In one case I met someone at their chosen time, early evening - so prior to delivering the MoHo to the spot I called the local police, told them what I was doing and that if they had an officer in the area could they cruise by. They were more than cooperative and actually there was no need.

I also note that both I and my son who often goes with me and or my wife are prepared as well for anything tawdry that might come up. Never had to drive away and never had an incident. Some don't like the cash only, but eventually someone accepts the policy and pays it.

Best of luck.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
This cash only would have been a bit difficult when I sold my last moho. $180,000 is a lot of cash and promotes a theft. A bank transfer is best, although in my case a cashier's check, transferred at my bank, confirmed and guaranteed by my bank, was the method used. My bank contacted the buyers bank before he even arrived for the confirmation.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 02-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Yep, that has become a big problem here with no requirements to either post adds or inquire about them. Lots of crooks out there just looking for suckers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I really dislike that there is no post limit to post in the classifieds. At least require someone have 5-10 posts.
Hi, I think you should have at least 100 posts and be a supporting member to post in the classified adds. That should eliminate the scammers.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think you should have at least 100 posts and be a supporting member to post in the classified adds. That should eliminate the scammers.
Robert - that is an EXCELLENT idea. Of course the owners of the forum are in business to make a profit and they need the ads. So that could be one alternative, with the other being that they pay more - enough so that their bonafides can be verified before the ad posts. That would include a credit check, identity verification, proof of address and proof of ownership of the item being sold.

I know that when I meet other Airstream owners the odds are about 1 in 10 that they are members - and a non-member who needs to sell should have the right to put his ad before our eager eyes, right?

Paula
Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ad requirements

While the general web scammers would be put off by the 100 post requirement, this would not phase a real con artist. If someone is selling or buying something for $20,000 or more and is a confidence man, they are very clever. IMO, however, doing business in a bank with video recording, bank officials checking negotiable instruments, etc. this will be the safest method of money transfer.

Also, the posting requirement would eliminate hundreds of ads, IMO
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Bank to bank money transfers or cash if possible. Go to your bank and they will help with the money transfers and other details. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The Oklahoma City police recently announced that they have meeting rooms for people to complete transactions that started online. I'm imagining the look on the scammer's face when I tell him to meet me at the OKC police station at 10:00 tomorrow.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote