Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Best time of year to buy a used Airstream?

My daughter and son in law "inherited our '73 31 ft'er, so now we get to sleep in a tent while they enjoy our old Airstream! Ah! Bunk on that! My husband is convinced that we will get a better price in the Fall. Is this necessarily true? I want a 19 fter that will be easy to tow, slip in / out of anywhere I want to go.
Thanks for any advice given!
Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One

Susan, your husband has a generally valid point, however you only need ONE exception.

Find ONE eager seller who is moving UP to a bigger unit, and needs the pad space or the down payment or is just organized and wants to do the changeover in a logical order.

Find ONE dealer who wants to sell that 25-30 foot Airstream, and doesn't want a good newish used unit on the lot interfering with the fast sale of a NEW unit, and there you go.

Find ONE couple who love their little Airstream but have lost jobs, have had triplets, have filed for divorce, or have health problems that preclude traveling... and you're rescuing them. (And if you pay $500 too much for the trailer it's a mitzvah.) Would you pay $500 more to go camping all summer?

So seek the one, find the one, become one with the one.
Just keep reminding him that you agree "we probably won't find it, but if we don't look, it's definite we won't... and half the fun is looking anyway"
Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We purchased ours new, in January. We got what I consider to be a good deal from the dealership (about 13% off MSRP). I have no experience in buying a pre-owned Airstream. We have owned a second home in a resort type environment, and the consensus there was always that you got a better deal as a buyer in the off season. I guess you could make the same type of argument for an Airstream purchase.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Worse yet, let him think you're interested in a Casita or a 22 foot Oliver...

The shock will probably get you a visit to the nearest good dealer this saturday!

Paula
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
My daughter and son in law "inherited our '73 31 ft'er, so now we get to sleep in a tent while they enjoy our old Airstream! Ah! Bunk on that! My husband is convinced that we will get a better price in the Fall. Is this necessarily true? I want a 19 fter that will be easy to tow, slip in / out of anywhere I want to go.
Thanks for any advice given!
Susan
If you buy from a dealer, the best time is in December, when it's their last chance to bump up their sales figures for the year.

Buying used, the best time is as soon as you spot one you're interested in; if you wait, someone else will snatch it up!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
It took us 8 months of searching to find a deal on a used Airstream and we are picking it up this weekend. There is no good time for a deal. Deals were there during our entire search. The key is being able to get there before the other guy shows up.......generally a day after the posting if it is a good deal.
Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Pray for one that you like that is no more than a couple hours drive from you.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Looking for a specific trailer like that, probably a very desirable size, I think you buy it if and when you find it. Obviously you need it now if you are summer campers.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
I put an add here wanting a used Airatream. A perfect Classic 28' twin bed coach owner contacted me and the deal was done in a hour.
JacobMerridy is offline   Reply With Quote