Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Since you are looking for something that can be used with a motor and or sail, look at the Portabote. You would have alot of options. I have one, the 12 foot model,and run with a 6hp motor or trolling motor depending. The portabote size is the length plus 4" wide and 15" tall FOLDED. The length is either 8, 10, 12 or 14 feet long.
I had a Zodiac, but ran into a mouse problem when I stored it the garage.

mike
Our Zodiac works great for us with or without a motor ...

* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I've seen scary degradation at many of the crease marks in the 330; in fact, the one time I had to haul out and patch on the fly, it was at a crease mark. So I tried to "fluff" the deflated boat periodically so that the stresses would not accumulate perpetually in all the same spots, but that didn't seem to work well, so I'm left with a creased-up boat that I know will fail in any one of about a hundred different spots, given enough time. And it's hard to get excited about taking it out when I don't know which chamber is going to let go next.
I looked at the material specs of the Sea Eagle 330 vs the Fasttrack 385:

330: K-80 Polykrylar
Fasttrack 385: The 1,000 denier woven base cloth gives tremendous strength and the PVC coating on both sides creates a waterproof, air-tight seal.
The price difference is substantial between the two. I'm not too keen on the PVC but many inflatables use PVC in their construction.

Innova is PVC free. I was looking at the Sunny but I prefer the design of the Fasttrack. The price is similar plus there are a bunch of accessories for them.

Innova is made in the Czech Republic and Sea Eagle, China.

So far the Fasttrack is my first choice. You can even get sail kits and put electric motors on it.

I found a cool electric motor for Kayaks, Torqeedo 403. Water proof lithium battery, built in gps and a range of 21 to 26 miles at 2.6 miles an hour. Whole thing weighs only 15lbs. Unfortunately, its $1900.
Torqeedo Ultralight 403 with integrated battery for kayaks and canoes

Kelvin

Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
We purchased 3 Zoik Inflatables last year and very much enjoyed them. Ocean, lake and river with a little white water and it was good for all. I decided to go with the Zoik because there are pluggable self bail ports and the weight is pretty low. We got two singles and a double.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Not a yak.. just a boat..

Porta Bote | The Revolutionary Folding Boat

I have seen and used.. quite interesting and 'usable'..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I bought a used Hobie i9s kayak last fall. New ones are pricey, but you can find used ones on ''One craiges''for around 900.00 to 1,200.00. Check out ''you tube'' if curious. It has the mirage drive which keeps your hands free to fish, photograph, or eat lunch. Try renting one before you buy. It deflates and folds down to the size of a large suit case. I couldn't be happier I use to paddle, now I peddle.
The Hobie inflatables are very nice. You might check with the dealer as they sell arm extensions (side pontoons) for the regular Hobie kayaks that greatly increase stability and would prevent a tip over. They may also work on their inflatables.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...igger-Kit.html
Old 04-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
The Hobie inflatables are very nice. You might check with the dealer as they sell arm extensions (side pontoons) for the regular Hobie kayaks that greatly increase stability and would prevent a tip over. They may also work on their inflatables.

Hobie Sidekick Ama Outrigger Kit - austinkayak.com - Product Details
The i9s is 3 ft. wide and pretty stable. Good enough to stand up and take a ............ ....................picture . I forgot to mention that you can buy a sail for this kayak. 275.00
Old 04-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Ended up getting the Sea Eagle Fasttrack 385 Deluxe package. Allows two to paddle or remove one seat and move the other to the center for solo. Main chambers fill to 3.2lbs and the drop stich floor can be inflated up to 14lbs. I filled to 10psi. Very stable. I'll wait for warmer weather to try to stand on it. I'm going out May 15th and will try to remember to take photos. Purchased from inflatableboats4less. Slightly cheaper than purchasing from Sea Eagle directly.

Kelvin
Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Ended up getting the Sea Eagle Fasttrack 385 Deluxe package. Allows two to paddle or remove one seat and move the other to the center for solo. Main chambers fill to 3.2lbs and the drop stich floor can be inflated up to 14lbs. I filled to 10psi. Very stable.
Good choice. Even as clumsy as I am, I haven't managed to tip mine over. But I don't stand up in it, either.

Handy hint, get a square cushion throwable PFD, and slip it under the seat to give yourself a couple extra inches of height. Makes reaching your paddle over those 10" diameter side tubes a little bit easier.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
We tried our Sea Eagle Fasttrack 385 on the Niangua River in Missouri this past weekend, our first river adventure with this inflatable. We tried rowing without the skeg attached and found the kayak was uncontrollable with the two of us paddling. Every time we got a little speed going the kayak would make a sudden turn which we couldn't correct with the paddles. The bow inflatable keel may be the cause. We paddled back the 100 yards to attach the skeg and it was much better. However it kept dragging the bottom in shallows. A flat bottom canoe or kayak would've gone over the majority of the shallows so we had to get out to drag the kayak to deeper water. Unless the river is deep enough I wouldn't recommend this boat for rivers. We did manage to tip over once when we hit a larger tree and my wife over reacted and tried to push off with her leg. I tried to warn her not to do it but too late. Using the kayak on a lake is more pleasant but as long as its warm. A cold water lake would be unpleasant.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #24
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
we used to review outdoor gear, and the sea eagles are hands down our favorite inflatable boats (SUPs, Kayaks, & Canoes). Great choice on the fast track. We took ours on a 60 mile trip in Moab, UT for one of the best trips of our lives.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Latest RV times email is highlighting an inflatable called the Scout. Anyone have any experience with this one?

George