Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #99
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

They won't budge 'til it's ready.....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
Plus, the pods are recyclable.
With difficulty. Don't you either either need to return them to a participating retailer, or UPS them to a recycling facility? Not as much as an environmental issue as the Keurig cups, but not far behind.

Using a paper filter is far more environmentally friendly, and produces better coffee. Coffee in these pods can be several months old.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #101
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
"Using a paper filter is far more environmentally friendly, and produces better coffee. Coffee in these pods can be several months old. "

We also have a reusable filter (search ebay) for the nespresso Pixie. Its great when we want to purchase a fresh bag, and grind it. Then we have to clean out the ground, etc. The ease of use with the Pixie pods and fast cup of coffee is why we keep defaulting to the pods.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Please don't think that I am trying to start an argument or, worse, judge people - nothing could be further from my intention.

But the coffee pod questions seems to me a perfect example of a small convenience causing a large environmental issue. There are now enough of these pods being produced to, edge on edge, to circumnavigate the globe once every seven days. Thats a lot of waste.

The vast majority of these are ending up in landfill. Keurig pods are close to impossible to recycle, Keurig has admitted as much, the other manufacturers aren't much better.

While the individual pod seems like a small item, put them all together and there's an issue.

Add to this that we've got perfectly good ways of making coffee that put close to zero pressure on the environment, French press, brown paper filters, Aeropress and from my point of view using pods becomes an irrational choice.

Add to this that these pods are often on the shelf for several months, meaning the coffee inside is old and stale, and the reasons for dumping the pod machine and buying a cheap filter should be overwhelming and obvious.

I enjoy camping because I like to be close to nature. I am aware of the fact that towing an Airstream in itself is a decision that's not entirely friendly to the environment, but I do try and find way to mitigate that pressure by using a smaller TV, not using generators and yes, making coffee in a way that doesn't put more plastic into landfill.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
At home and with full hook ups it's a French press for us. But when boondocking, it uses too much water to clean it up. So then I use a Melita type one cup filter. A while back someone here, on another coffee thread, mentioned a Melita type filter holder that has a valve on the bottom, so I got one of those. It's great! Set it on the counter and put in the coffee and water. Let it steep like a French press, then put it on top of your cup. That opens the valve and fills the cup. The best of both worlds. Stronger coffee and easy to clean.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #104
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
There are now enough of these pods being produced to, edge on edge, to circumnavigate the globe once every seven days. Thats a lot of waste.
But at only a few grams of plastic per pod, a gallon of coffee produced using these pods still amounts to less plastic by weight OR volume than one gallon plastic milk bottle, or one gallon of plastic Coca-Cola bottles.

All plastic is a problem in landfills; it seems unfair to single out coffee-by-the-cup for special emphasis.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Come on folks lets not get to philosphical here. We camp because it is fun and we tow and AS because we like the conveniences it allows us to have as we rough it. Heat, AC, running water, FFreezer for theice for our mix drinks, refrigerator for our cheeses and most important electrical outlets to run our TVs, IPODS and coffee machines..
Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #106
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Come on folks lets not get to philosphical here.
No philosophy. I can't ponder the meaning of life until I've had my daily dose of caffeine!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But at only a few grams of plastic per pod, a gallon of coffee produced using these pods still amounts to less plastic by weight OR volume than one gallon plastic milk bottle, or one gallon of plastic Coca-Cola bottles.
I agree, but the difference is that a gallon milk container is very easy to recycle and to make into other useful things. These pods aren't.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #108
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
After living in the New Orleans area for thirty-two years, I'm still trying to figure out why New Orleanians like coffee with chicory! All the bitterness of battery acid, an oily texture that clings to the teeth like paint, and an aftertaste that lasts a week. How can anything that smells so delicious taste so horrible?!

Kind of makes me wonder what a good cup of coffee actually tastes like! Maybe some day I'll get to find out.
Thirty-two years ago I had an NO girlfriend. Found that coffee-with-chicory was not only my preference, but that a pound of same lasted as long or longer than 5-lbs of the usual Folgers, etc. And went well with a pack of unfiltered Pall Mall . . I think that may be the part missing in decipherment.

I use an electric. Pretty basic (have had some nice types but they don't last) and if it wears out in five years, so what?

I still need to get a stovetop percolator . . and look forward to someday trying a cup from the TT of those who go to great lengths.

Caffeine, nicotine & toilet paper . . nothing else constitutes an emergency that can't be handled in good time.

I've no idea of how those who rely on a Coke to wake up can deal with much of anything.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
No philosophy. I can't ponder the meaning of life until I've had my daily dose of caffeine!
Good one!
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
I do love my French press. Two drawbacks I experienced when using on my sailboat: 1. pre-ground is generally too fine, requiring the packing of my hand grinder. 2. Requires a lot of water for cleaning. Input???

Will

... Black Sheep Of The Family Clan.
Broke Too Many Rules Along The Way.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willb43 View Post
I do love my French press. Two drawbacks I experienced when using on my sailboat: 1. pre-ground is generally too fine, requiring the packing of my hand grinder. 2. Requires a lot of water for cleaning. Input???

Will

... Black Sheep Of The Family Clan.
Broke Too Many Rules Along The Way.
Buy beans and grind them in the machine at the store to suit you.

We do this all the time, keeping the ground coffee in an airtight container.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #112
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
We enjoy fresh ground and generally grind a pound before leaving home. Through our travels we've discovered great coffee houses everywhere that sell fresh roasted coffee. We've found some, such as Macy's in Flagstaff, the Kiva Coffee house near Escalante, Utah and Carmel Coffee house in Carmel that we have mail ordered coffee from.
As far as brewing goes other than a coffee press which is a pain to clean, I've found that the best coffee and easiest to make, is with our collapsible, melita type drip. This thing is great for use anywhere indoors or out, easy clean up and collapses the size of a small cow patty. Every camper should have one!
Mama and I generally make enough for a large cup each so it's always fresh and easy.....just heat your water, filter in the cone pour and wala.... It doesn't get any easier than that! Now for happy hour... That's for another thread....
Cheers,
Mark and Laurie