Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #81
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
We just try to have the best, fresh roasted and ground coffee we can find which goes a long way to ensure a good cup...
After living in the New Orleans area for thirty-two years, I'm still trying to figure out why New Orleanians like coffee with chicory! All the bitterness of battery acid, an oily texture that clings to the teeth like paint, and an aftertaste that lasts a week. How can anything that smells so delicious taste so horrible?!

Kind of makes me wonder what a good cup of coffee actually tastes like! Maybe some day I'll get to find out.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Have you tried the "inverted" aeropress method? brewmethods.com under Marie Hagemeister 2010 Champion.

I love New Orleans style cafe au lait - without the milk it does grow hair on your chest!
matthorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #83
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
Have you tried the "inverted" aeropress method? brewmethods.com under Marie Hagemeister 2010 Champion.

I love New Orleans style cafe au lait - without the milk it does grow hair on your chest!
I never even heard of the Aeropress before reading this thread, but after looking into it, I think I'll be buying one.

And New Orleans style without the milk won't just grow hair on your chest, it'll grow hair on your Airstream!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
As we are not avid coffee drinkers but enjoy a cup of something warm while camping isn't one of the Keurig's capable of making coffee, tea or cocoa. And do any of them have a permanent filter. I'm sure the Pinterest fans of the world can make something out of the little plastic cups.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
To be able to have a hot coffee in the morning without electricity, we have a non-breakable Melitta thermal stainless 8 cup pour over coffee maker and use brown paper filters that will degrade gracefully. The coffee maker then doubles as a heated storage device to keep the contents warm without using more energy.

We boil some water in the tea kettle on the propane cook top. We can use some of the contents of a small bag of pre-ground Starbucks coffee.

We have used the Starbucks Via and while not the best, it does have caffeine.

If we want to use a little electric power from the inverter, we have a small physical size (3.5" diameter by 7.5" tall) electric Hamilton Beech model 80354 coffee grinder for coffee beans. The power cord rewinds into the base. It allows one to select fine, medium or coarse grind for 4, 8, 12, or 15 6oz cups by the use of a slide switch. They are still available from Amazon.

We use a Cuisinart coffee maker with the fine metal filter at home. It is too large for the trailer kitchen area and storage space.

I have to try to limit myself to two units of coffee per day. However that unit could be a 12 cup pot.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
We love our coffee in the am and have tried a few things. First we tried the French press. Nice coffee, easy to make, big mess to dispose of. You have to scoop out all those grounds and get them in the garbage without putting too many of them down the drain and into the gray tank. So, we gave that one up.

Then we went for the Melitta paper cones and plastic funnel. It's a bit fussy to stand there feeding the hot water into the funnel, but its much cleaner on the back end by just tossing the filter and coffee in the trash. The plastic cone takes little room to store.

I looked briefly at the "machines" that take pre-made overly packed slugs of coffee and decided that coffee is already expensive and making it a lot more so with all that prepacked stuff didn't make sense to me. Not so much from the environmental POV, after all can anything be LESS eco-friendly than RVing at 10MPG for fun?- but just the added cost.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Those who recognize that what we are doing in our Airstreams is actually called "camping" might want to try a little more outdoorsy and historical type of coffee recipe - Cowboy Coffee": Cowboy Coffee, Backpacker Style (INeedCoffee.com)

Never actually tried it - but we've got a boondocking trip coming up in 2 weeks .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My morning requirements are coffee and oxygen. So far I have not needed to pack O2, but coffee...another issue. My home needs are met with an espresso machine since my wife drinks decaf--she needs that as much I need my "leaded"--so with an espresso machine we can make one at a time. On the road she uses a stovetop Bialetti. I did use a press pot, but the mess MStephens refers too were annoying. The Aeropress needed some recipe experimentation: caffeine levels are a function of water-to-grounds time, so I use about a triple of Peet's coffee & water and let it sit together for a few minutes before pressing it out. The grounds "slug" is nice and easy to dispose of, and a fresh hot cup is available with just a quick water heating.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

After living in the New Orleans area for thirty-two years, I'm still trying to figure out why New Orleanians like coffee with chicory! All the bitterness of battery acid, an oily texture that clings to the teeth like paint, and an aftertaste that lasts a week. How can anything that smells so delicious taste so horrible?!

Kind of makes me wonder what a good cup of coffee actually tastes like! Maybe some day I'll get to find out.
What?!?! First time I had it was a few years ago during Jazzfest (along with ridiculously tasty beignets at Cafe du Monde) and LOVED it!! I've been trying to find chicory k-cups! Different strokes for sure!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
For regular coffee, ill use a French or Aero press to get all the lovely oils out of the bean. For espresso shots, I've become a big fan recently of my Rok manual espresso maker. The pressure, crema and shot quality this pumps out when done right is amazing. Since all three devices don't use electricity, they'll all have a permanent home in the planned RV environment.

What I need to find now however is a good quality box or other non-electric grinder capable of coarse and espresso grinds both.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post

What I need to find now however is a good quality box or other non-electric grinder capable of coarse and espresso grinds both.

Ian
I use a Zassenhaus handgrinder that works extremely well, from ultra-fine to coarse.

Amazon.com: Zassenhaus Coffee Grinder - 156BU: Kitchen & Dining

Not cheap, but with a lifetime warrantee and really well built.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
I vote for the Nespresso Pixie http://www.nespresso.com/pixie/?l=en_US
1. Wife Likes it.
2. Easy to use
3. Fast
4. VERY compact
5. Dozens of flavors
6. Does not use a lot of electricity- keeping a pot warm
7. wife likes it. Oh I said that already
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #93
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
I vote for the Nespresso Pixie http://www.nespresso.com/pixie/?l=en_US
1. Wife Likes it.
2. Easy to use
3. Fast
4. VERY compact
5. Dozens of flavors
6. Does not use a lot of electricity- keeping a pot warm
7. wife likes it. Oh I said that already
I have a Nespresso at home and love it. Are you able to run your Pixie off the inverter or do you need to be plugged into a generator or shore power?
MiTTco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
As we are not avid coffee drinkers but enjoy a cup of something warm while camping isn't one of the Keurig's capable of making coffee, tea or cocoa. And do any of them have a permanent filter. I'm sure the Pinterest fans of the world can make something out of the little plastic cups.
All Keurigs can make coffee, tea and cocoa. You can buy a permanent filters and fill them with your own coffee. I would suggest a small one where you pour the water in the top for each cup (like they have in hotel rooms).
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
For regular coffee, ill use a French or Aero press to get all the lovely oils out of the bean. For espresso shots, I've become a big fan recently of my Rok manual espresso maker. The pressure, crema and shot quality this pumps out when done right is amazing. Since all three devices don't use electricity, they'll all have a permanent home in the planned RV environment.

Ian
I haven't tried this yet but it looks promising: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0044ZA066
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #96

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
I haven't tried this yet but it looks promising: Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining
That is a very sexy toy. Hmmm.... I already have the same number of coffee-making toys as rooms in the house (including the bathroom). Maybe it's time to start building up the coffee-grinder collection.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #97
CurlyGirl

2013 16' Sport
1965 26' Overlander
Comfort , Texas
Thanks for the great ideas!

Lots of great ideas out there! Thank you so much for sharing them with me. My husband tried the instant thing and that lasted one outing. I then purchased a French Press and he used that two maybe three times before telling me he doesn't like the mess or the grounds that jump through hoops and land in his coffee. I really wanted to get a K-Cup, less mess lots of choices. I felt they were too big so I just ordered a very small 4 cup traditional coffee maker. Cusinart... it's orange!! How cute... and we will see if the coffee guru is satisfied. Trip to the beach this weekend!
Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I normally use a French Press for making my coffee. Recently I bought a Nespresso machine. It makes the best coffee I have had in a long time. It is quite small and takes little counter space. Along with the Nespresso Aeroccino Plus it will going with me from now on.
We're Nespresso fans, too. The Pixie takes up very little space and it is such a treat to have fresh, delicious coffee or espresso in a minute. You can try it at any Williams & Sonoma store. The pods are a bit expensive, but we only buy them for camping trips and use an automatic Capresso (much larger machine) for home use. Plus, the pods are recyclable.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #99
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

They won't budge 'til it's ready.....

Bob
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
Plus, the pods are recyclable.
With difficulty. Don't you either either need to return them to a participating retailer, or UPS them to a recycling facility? Not as much as an environmental issue as the Keurig cups, but not far behind.

Using a paper filter is far more environmentally friendly, and produces better coffee. Coffee in these pods can be several months old.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote